LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 239 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • bud49
  • Veteran
What's Kyle going to do if moving Wilks to the sidelines does not improve the Defense. Uh Oh.
  • bud49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I would like to make a bet with anyone who thinks Wilks is returning as our DC next season.

Any takers?

Defense would have to throw at least 5 shutouts and hold the opponent to about 10 points a game in the last 9 games and then it will be a long shot.
Originally posted by bud49:
What's Kyle going to do if moving Wilks to the sidelines does not improve the Defense. Uh Oh.

Then you get a fired DC end of season. I am not sure the regime moves him mid-season. Not their style. In fact, their style is to hold on too long so maybe nothing until year after next
I would like to make a bet with anyone who thinks Wilks is returning as our DC next season.

Any takers?

Defense would have to throw at least 5 shutouts and hold the opponent to about 10 points a game in the last 9 games and then it will be a long shot.

I imagine if we did that it would be an 'okay' season from Wilks, according to the WZ

Any takers?

What are the terms?

edit: this isn't me wanting him back, but I'll certainly bet on it. Only chance we had to lose him was if he was successful.
[ Edited by SLCNiner on Nov 9, 2023 at 6:05 PM ]
Originally posted by 9erson3:

Then you get a fired DC end of season. I am not sure the regime moves him mid-season. Not their style. In fact, their style is to hold on too long so maybe nothing until year after next

It's not, but I definitely would not be shocked if he's gone after this week.

Lawrence has been pretty average this year, if he balls out against us, I will also be on board with firing him.

I want to see going back to more of the wide 9, stunts on the DL (i rarely see that anymore)stop making Greenlaw and Fred cover WRs so much, allow Huf to roam free again and stop using him so much as a single high safety, more cover 3 and zone and less man. And ffs get Oliver off the damn field.

One major change at a time. I was hoping we get news that Womack is ready to return and either him or Lenoir play slot corner.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
I mean the real issue is three straight games of scoring 17 points. Whatever the cause, that's not acceptable.

Dude we are like 15th with the best front 7 personnel in the league. That's absolutely unacceptable. It's horrible.

Offense has had fumbles, interceptions and special teams has missed FG's. Those are the 17 point problems. It would be more. I think those will get worked out. Even if we hit the FG it would be 2 losses and not 3 and this team wouldn't look anywhere near as bad or desperate now. Keep it in perspective. The defense is hugely problematic with this personnel. There is no reason to be that bad with that much talent.

15th DVOA, 4th in points, I believe 10th yds
it'll get turned SD, too much talent, and ppl will say the talent overcame Wilks scheme or some such

I hope it does get turned. Those numbers seem bad for the overwhelming amount of talent we have. There is too much talent for that.

Ravens have a SPECTACULAR defense and I can only name one or two dudes that play on it. For everything that's been invested on that side of the ball, this D should be top 5 in every category.

Yes I agree completely.
  • bud49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mitpdub:

One major change at a time. I was hoping we get news that Womack is ready to return and either him or Lenoir play slot corner.

It amazes me that this team cannot find a good CB I liked EMan and they let him leave.
Originally posted by mitpdub:

It amazes me that this team cannot find a good CB I liked EMan and they let him leave.

...and he is injured again.

Finding good CBs is not easy. We have drafted a lot of them but had to buy Mooney Ward to get a good one...and he isn't great.

Wilks may get replaced after the season is over if some good candidates become available. We also need to consider that maybe this collection of talent just isn't playing well. We see this happen all the time where a team brings in top notch players and they just don't mesh. Sometimes it's a personality thing but sometimes players a seem to have off years at the same time. The Dodgers and Padres have been collecting high price talent for years and still don't have a title to show for it. Same with the Yankees. We've seen it in thr NBA as well. It's a little harder in the NFL because of the hard cap but the issues cn still apply.

Teams need to play as a team and not just a collection of talent.
I don't know if Wilks being on the sideline will help but it might give him a different perspective. I like having the DC on the sideline so he can pump up the players and get with them after they come off the field. Maybe it won't work for them but it's worth a shot.
After the 1st loss, i suggested patience. After the 2nd loss, it was mmmm……but after the 3rd loss and factoring in the one worst D playcall ever seen anywhere…it has become, now…."SHOW ME". The zero blitz with 24 seconds remaining and opponents with ball 50-60 yards out….will remain locked in infamy forever. What was Wilks thinking? Obviously, not much. But to give the game away like that just seconds before halftime….well, that gimme TD was the difference between a L and a W. A professional DC just can't make that kind of screwup and expect to keep his job.

Moving down to the field? Fine, but will it change Wilk's thinking? Doubtful. With Kyle running a pipeline for his coaching staff to learn here and then go be HC elsewhere…makes his job world's harder than a HC normally faces. Wilks did not come here with a sterling record. We have all seen enough to know that. But think about kyle and his loss of good talent and excellent coaches on a yearly basis. Both Saleh and Demeco were younger guys. Maybe Wilks is just too old, or perhaps worn out…but his performance the last 3 weeks has been a tough pill to swallow. He either gets magically better because he must know his job is on the line, or he will be asked to leave. Both Saleh and Meco had that spark, that sharp mind, that joy of coaching. Sure wish I saw that in Wilks. If Wilks doesn't show marked improvement, it is hard to see how kyle keeps him on.

Obvious problem is…then who? As a stopgap if we part ways with Wilks, i guess there is always JL…but i doubt he would take it on. Whatever, a simple W will make everything better…for a week or so, but then we are back to square one. Wilks. We have excellent talent on D, but it still needs direction. That feeling of a lock on SB in week 5 has now been replaced with a huge slug of doubt, with Wilks as DC. All one can do now is to say the beads, and hope for a "murkle"…an effing "murkle.
Dare i say he is the Jimmy Raye of DCs?

Dag gum Yahoo!!!
Originally posted by Eli_23:
Dare i say he is the Jimmy Raye of DCs?

Dag gum Yahoo!!!

You're late to that party, he's been called that since week 7.
Share 49ersWebzone