LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 215 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by bud49:
What's Kyle going to do if moving Wilks to the sidelines does not improve the Defense. Uh Oh.

Is moving Wilks to the sideline supposed to help our offense get back to scoring 30+ points per game?
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Is moving Wilks to the sideline supposed to help our offense get back to scoring 30+ points per game?

haha, good one
What's Kyle going to do if moving Wilks to the sidelines does not improve the Defense. Uh Oh.

If improves the defense then yeah, it can help the offense score more. TO's on their side of the field, playing ahead rather than from behind and flipping time of possession can all help the offense score more points. With the addition of Young, I particularly look for the D line to force more turnovers.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

haha, good one

In our first 5 games the defense gave up an average of 13.6 points per game. During the three loses our defense gave up 24 points per game.

During the first five games our offense averaged 33.4 points per game. However during the last three games our offense averaged 17 points per game.

Why are we focused on the defense???

haha, good one

In our first 5 games the defense gave up an average of 13.6 points per game. During the three loses our defense gave up 24 points per game.

During the first five games our offense averaged 33.4 points per game. However during the last three games our offense averaged 17 points per game.

amen brother, it's cuz KS has a ton of built up good will
Wilks is the new guy, and an easy target for fans to focus their ire, as a scapegoat
I noticed around here, ppl just get scapegoated way more than deserved, like McG

not saying he's been perfect, he hasn't, but neither has any aspect of the club, issues are team wide
but understand, we have a great roster, great coaches, and are a real contender, I expect a good 2nd half of the season, schedule gets tough, but we are tough, also
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Nov 10, 2023 at 12:38 PM ]
Way too much being made of this comment honestly. And I can't stand Wilks.

• bud49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Way too much being made of this comment honestly. And I can't stand Wilks.

Well then do it.

haha, good one

amen brother, it's cuz KS has a ton of built up good will
Wilks is the new guy, and an easy target for fans to focus their ire, as a scapegoat
I noticed around here, ppl just get scapegoated way more than deserved, like McG

not saying he's been perfect, he hasn't, but neither has any aspect of the club, issues are team wide
but understand, we have a great roster, great coaches, and are a real contender, I expect a good 2nd half of the season, schedule gets tough, but we are tough, also

I'm more confident about the offense finding It's groove than I am about the defense right now.

As soon as we stop shooting ourselves In the foot offensively, no doubt we'll be hitting the 30 points mark on the regular. I'm not so sure about the defense doing it's job at stopping opppsing offenses from marching up and down the field all game long, tho.

If the defense plays better and can get more stops, that's more time for the offense to score. They go together. Kyle can't call plays with the offense sitting on the bench. We're also facing better teams down the stretch with better defense so 30 points per game isn't as likely. In 2019 they started 8-0 and then went 5-3 to finish. One reason was the schedule got harder just like this season.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
I'm more confident about the offense finding It's groove than I am about the defense right now.

As soon as we stop shooting ourselves In the foot offensively, no doubt we'll be hitting the 30 points mark on the regular. I'm not so sure about the defense doing it's job at stopping opppsing offenses from marching up and down the field all game long, tho.

when you look at the D, look less at Wilks, more at Bosa, Chase Young, Gregory, Hargrave, AA, Fred, C Ward, Huf, Gip, etc. those guys winning their battles out there

when you look at the D, look less at Wilks, more at Bosa, Chase Young, Gregory, Hargrave, AA, Fred, C Ward, Huf, Gip, etc. those guys winning their battles out there

Those same guys looked good previous seasons without Wilks. So, what's changed?
Those same guys looked good previous seasons without Wilks. So, what's changed?

lets define looking good
we got curbstomped by KC

this year only 1 time did we give up more than 23, that's vs CIN
we are 4th in ppg on O this season and 4th on D
if we were maybe 25th in ppg allowed, I would be right there panicking with everyone else

I don't see it, we played well I expect us to play well, we played well vs CLE. Only rough outings were 3rd downs vs MIN, the end of half scheme, and CIN
but understand vs CIN, they only had 17 after 3, an avalanche of BP turnovers helped fuel their O to finish that game
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Nov 10, 2023 at 2:11 PM ]

Oddly enough, getting stops or turnovers to get the ball back to your offense actually helps increase the probability of scoring more points.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Oddly enough, getting stops or turnovers to get the ball back to your offense actually helps increase the probability of scoring more points.

This. Football is complimentary and stops, TO's, time of possession all factor into an offense's performance.
Open minded blame

Steve welcome to the 9ers. Don't change s**t.

Dont add your own plan. Keep it as it's always been.

Learning curve. You learn us. We don't learn you.

A lot of holes here in thought yes, but let's be real. I've personally never seen a hire where you're told learn us first. You want changes that's after. By the way, you will use our staff first. Adjustments and changes not allowed.

so look I'm not happy with how this trash has gone the last few weeks but the above is true. For those Defensive Coordinator brains, tell me another team where DC is a puppet to the past?

Im not saying things good but let's be real about what freedom was given to this guy. None. The past the past. Now they are saying get your ass on the sidelines. This is doomed. Over next year and I still say Kyle has way too much power in some areas.

He needs to worry about his suck ass I can't come from behind and win stat. Let the DC do what they will IF you hire them and have their own ideas. Your hire. Back off.
[ Edited by 9erson3 on Nov 10, 2023 at 8:06 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone