LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 251 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
If being on the sideline is "one of the most overrated things in the world"..why make the move? But I get Kyle's point, perhaps the media made too much of sideline or booth..but still..he made the decision to change it up. We will see how it pans out with Wilks but I like the move so far, overrated or not
Originally posted by Montana:
If being on the sideline is "one of the most overrated things in the world"..why make the move? But I get Kyle's point, perhaps the media made too much of sideline or booth..but still..he made the decision to change it up. We will see how it pans out with Wilks but I like the move so far, overrated or not

To shame the players on defense into playing better. Wilks behind moved isn't just a reflection on him, it's a reflection on the players. This was a reprimand against everyone's pride.
Worked out well.

Especially playing man.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
On that sack fumble, they put Arik Armstead in zone coverage and rushed only Nick, Chace and the Gravedigger.

That was actually not a bad call IMO. It's not a common call but it's in plenty of playbooks to drop the DT to obscure passing lanes and make the quarterback think more.
I was never on the fire Wilks bandwagon, made no sense, Wilks is a damn good DC, never got why you guys wanted him fired, it's the players that weren't executing, it is 1 game, but they look back to their first 5 games.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I was never on the fire Wilks bandwagon, made no sense, Wilks is a damn good DC, never got why you guys wanted him fired, it's the players that weren't executing, it is 1 game, but they look back to their first 5 games.

it was just a losing streak so lets find someone to kick / scapegoat, i don't like when a guy gets unfairly scapegoated

he had a bad call, deal with it, everyone has bad calls, if you call plays every now and then you make a mistake, that's called being human
and for what it's worth, his bad call should have been the 2nd pick of the half
on the whole he's doing good work imo
I also was never on the fire Wilks bandwagon. I was excited when we hired him. I also expecting the defense to underperform relative to the talent level early in the season as Wilks gets to know the players' strengths and weaknesses.

I start to question him after the Vikings game just before the half blunder. He has plenty of experience, so that was bad. Looking back, those 2 games (Vikings and Bengals were pretty bad from the defensive perspe.

Also, if it was just the players struggling I don't think Kyle would move him from the booth to the sideline.

We will just have to see how it go s for the rest of this season.
[ Edited by libertyforever on Nov 12, 2023 at 4:39 PM ]

Firing him wasn't going to happen after just two down games for the defense.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
On that sack fumble, they put Arik Armstead in zone coverage and rushed only Nick, Chace and the Gravedigger.

That was actually not a bad call IMO. It's not a common call but it's in plenty of playbooks to drop the DT to obscure passing lanes and make the quarterback think more.

Earlier gregory dropped back too. Seemed to work.

Sayonara w9
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Nov 12, 2023 at 5:07 PM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

Sayonara w9

It's not getting rid of wide nine. Saleh did this too. It's all about disguise, passing lane disruption, and trying to not telegraph where pressure is coming from.

We started using more unbalanced lines today which is another thing that was mentioned as an adjustment we could do.

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

Sayonara w9
young dropped back too
Originally posted by libertyforever:
I also was never on the fire Wilks bandwagon. I was excited when we hired him. I also expecting the defense to underperform relative to the talent level early in the season as Wilks gets to know the players' strengths and weaknesses.

I start to question him after the Vikings game just before the half blunder. He has plenty of experience, so that was bad. Looking back, those 2 games (Vikings and Bengals were pretty bad from the defensive perspe.

Also, if it was just the players struggling I don't think Kyle would move him from the booth to the sideline.

We will just have to see how it go s for the rest of this season.

It wasn't just the players struggling… and this was pointed out by many credible analysts. Today's game was a great performance but it didn't come against a great offense or a QB who is in a place where he's going to pick apart a defense. He's been struggling most of the season, and they've been winning games with turnovers.

It was a great performance today, but you don't want to kneejerk in either direction, good or bad. There's still a lot of questions that will be answered when we play the stronger offensive teams remaining on our schedule.
To shame the players on defense into playing better. Wilks behind moved isn't just a reflection on him, it's a reflection on the players. This was a reprimand against everyone's pride.

So a psychological move, alright, I get that:).

Keep getting those dubs !!
  • bud49
  • Veteran
They looked a lot better with Oliver on the bench.
Seeing him on the field giving everyone a dab or high five 5 near the end of the game is a nice touch. Gets to a closer level.
Share 49ersWebzone