LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 298 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I was never on the fire Wilks bandwagon, made no sense, Wilks is a damn good DC, never got why you guys wanted him fired, it's the players that weren't executing, it is 1 game, but they look back to their first 5 games.

History simply proves this to be incorrect. He's a bad DC. He did well today but let's not get a head of ourselves.

lol get real, okay so explain why KS and JL hired a crap DC?
i'll wait

and why 2 NFL franchises turned to this guy as a HC
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I was never on the fire Wilks bandwagon, made no sense, Wilks is a damn good DC, never got why you guys wanted him fired, it's the players that weren't executing, it is 1 game, but they look back to their first 5 games.

History simply proves this to be incorrect. He's a bad DC. He did well today but let's not get a head of ourselves.

i'll wait

One franchise turned to him because he was the next in line after they fired their HC midseason. The other because they always hire the wrong guy for the job.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I don't think wilks on the sidelines mattered tbh, adding chase and putting lenoir in the slot was the difference

Disagree.

Players feed more off of emotions on defense, and having their boss out there just helps. Warner spoke about this and how it helped a bit more. Players are also held more accountable if the their boss right there in their face.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
I don't think wilks on the sidelines mattered tbh, adding chase and putting lenoir in the slot was the difference

Disagree.

Players feed more off of emotions on defense, and having their boss out there just helps. Warner spoke about this and how it helped a bit more. Players are also held more accountable if the their boss right there in their face.

None of us will really ever know but I have to agree. After Saleh and Ryans, this D feeds off their leader and best to have him down there feeding those emotions.

• pdc20
  • Veteran
Great performance.
I think Kyle put Steve under the bus publicly a little bit too much the last few weeks.^^
But at the end of the day, the defense was bad the last two games, that's the reality.
What is really weird is that it was reminiscent of the games against the Falcons and the Chiefs last year.
It's a really good step in the right direction.
Before we got roasted on the quick screen game, there was one set where 2 DL broke out to cover a screen and the other two got the sack. It looked like more of a design than just the DL reading the screen too. But then I didn't see that again and they had that 85 yard drive with just screens.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Like a different man today. I like his energy On the sidelines. Def a good thing for the players.

you realize all the D coordinators and their energy was a result of the players, right?
So you're saying you can be the defensive coordinator?

you realize all the D coordinators and their energy on the sidelines have been a byproduct of their players making plays, right?

i'll wait

For as long as Wilks has been a coach he really hasn't been a DC that long. And bragging about getting fired is like Tomsula bragging he was made a HC.

agreed

Originally posted by DaleGribble:

this is a bad take hes a pretty good DC

i mean all of our DC struggled earlier and its hardest for him because he has to coach by interesting someone else's system so they would be an adjustment period

and lets not pretend our D has been atrocious we have allowed the 2nd lowest ppg and 5th lowest yards per game

All of our other great DC (no sarcasm) has started off their DC careers worse than that. There is an adjustment period for new coaches to adjust to their players and find the right scheme
[ Edited by ritz126 on Nov 13, 2023 at 5:39 AM ]
  • thl408
This dude had Bosa and Chase mug the A gaps with Warner and Greenlaw on the edge on one play. Then in another play he dropped AA into zone coverage for a rush 3 drop 8 (Bosa strip sack).
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

i'll wait

For as long as Wilks has been a coach he really hasn't been a DC that long. And bragging about getting fired is like Tomsula bragging he was made a HC.

Wilks is a rookie DC. Many on this forum were calling Saleh a mistake when he first started here. Sometimes coaches need to grow into the job. Being a HC is different than being a coordinator which is different from being a position coach.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

i'll wait

Wilks is a rookie DC. Many on this forum were calling Saleh a mistake when he first started here. Sometimes coaches need to grow into the job. Being a HC is different than being a coordinator which is different from being a position coach.

same with Ryans remember when he allowed 300+ yards to Colt Mccoy the defense was a huge issue early on especially the secondary and that was coming from similar systems
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

i'll wait

No he's not. He was DC for the Browns in 2019 and also had 6 years of DC experience at the college level.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 13, 2023 at 7:48 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone