LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 298 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Wilks is a rookie DC. Many on this forum were calling Saleh a mistake when he first started here. Sometimes coaches need to grow into the job. Being a HC is different than being a coordinator which is different from being a position coach.

rookie dc? What?
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I was never on the fire Wilks bandwagon, made no sense, Wilks is a damn good DC, never got why you guys wanted him fired, it's the players that weren't executing, it is 1 game, but they look back to their first 5 games.

History simply proves this to be incorrect. He's a bad DC. He did well today but let's not get a head of ourselves.

lol get real, okay so explain why KS and JL hired a crap DC?
i'll wait

and why 2 NFL franchises turned to this guy as a HC

For as long as Wilks has been a coach he really hasn't been a DC that long. And bragging about getting fired is like Tomsula bragging he was made a HC.

Wilks is a rookie DC. Many on this forum were calling Saleh a mistake when he first started here. Sometimes coaches need to grow into the job. Being a HC is different than being a coordinator which is different from being a position coach.

bruh..
For as long as Wilks has been a coach he really hasn't been a DC that long. And bragging about getting fired is like Tomsula bragging he was made a HC.

No one is bragging about being fired, it's about being hired. Go back to when we hired him, the consensus was we are getting a near or at HC level guy to be DC, pairing with the O minded Shanny. It was considered a home run hire. I see little to back off that stance after 10 weeks, other than a solitary play call, ok so he is human and made a mistake. Who hasn't?

latest ranks we are 3rd on O in ppg
we rank 2nd on D

ppl telling me this ppg rank will evaporate as the season goes forward, well it just stronger yesterday
Originally posted by ritz126:
this is a bad take hes a pretty good DC

i mean all of our DC struggled earlier and its hardest for him because he has to coach by interesting someone else's system so they would be an adjustment period

and lets not pretend our D has been atrocious we have allowed the 2nd lowest ppg and 5th lowest yards per game

All of our other great DC (no sarcasm) has started off their DC careers worse than that. There is an adjustment period for new coaches to adjust to their players and find the right scheme
In what world can you look at Wilks track record and say he's been a pretty good DC?

Even this season there have been glaring issues outside of the Cowboys & Jags game that either the opposing teams couldn't take advantage of or were masked by the offenses dominance.

If Wilks figures things out it'll be a first for him,I hope he does I'll gladly admit to being wrong & quit calling him Steve Wilks Booth.

No one is bragging about being fired, it's about being hired. Go back to when we hired him, the consensus was we are getting a near or at HC level guy to be DC, pairing with the O minded Shanny. It was considered a home run hire. I see little to back off that stance after 10 weeks, other than a solitary play call, ok so he is human and made a mistake. Who hasn't?

we rank 2nd on D

ppl telling me this ppg rank will evaporate as the season goes forward, well it just stronger yesterday

What I have learned about this fan base across all social media outlets is that 49ers fans have unrealistic expectations when it comes to this team. Its almost like some of these fans expect 0 yards and 0 points allowed every single week or they suck.

Truth is 49ers defense is 5th in yards per game allowed, 5th in takeaways and tied for 2nd in points per game allowed. What more could a fan realistically ask for at this point in the season? The answer is nothing. Perhaps we have just been overly spoiled over the last 4 of 5 seasons?
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YACBros85:

we rank 2nd on D

What I have learned about this fan base across all social media outlets is that 49ers fans have unrealistic expectations when it comes to this team. Its almost like some of these fans expect 0 yards and 0 points allowed every single week or they suck.

Truth is 49ers defense is 5th in yards per game allowed, 5th in takeaways and tied for 2nd in points per game allowed. What more could a fan realistically ask for at this point in the season? The answer is nothing. Perhaps we have just been overly spoiled over the last 4 of 5 seasons?

It's pretty easy. Our defense was mostly amazing the first 5 weeks and then gave up an average of 450 yards to Minnesota and Cincy. We have all pro players at every single level, so getting manhandled like that back to back weeks was really a shock. Cousins and Burrow completed like 80% of their passes.
Originally posted by Disp:

we rank 2nd on D

It's pretty easy. Our defense was mostly amazing the first 5 weeks and then gave up an average of 450 yards to Minnesota and Cincy. We have all pro players at every single level, so getting manhandled like that back to back weeks was really a shock. Cousins and Burrow completed like 80% of their passes.

Okay. They had 2 bad games and are still sitting at the top of the league. Lest we not forget we gave up 500+ yards to both the chiefs and raiders last season.

Yup
I don't take have a top 3 ppg D for granted, lots of teams have D talent, around the league,
the advantage on Wilks, when you marry our front with our coverages, hoping Wilks can coach up these DBs come up with some good coverages as we go forward. Coverage is our weak link if we have one, and that's Wilks specialty, DBs.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

rookie dc? What?

Did Wilks shine yesterday or was the Jags o-line that bad? I really hope they can keep it up..I want a Thanksgiving win against the Seasocks..that would be like extra gravy, all the gravy 🍗
That was a much better performance from Wilks and the defense than what we've seen the previous two games. I still don't fully trust him, but at least we can rest easy for now ( until next game that is )

I'll reserve my judgement for now until we've played the Eagles..

Originally posted by Montana:

Did Wilks shine yesterday or was the Jags o-line that bad? I really hope they can keep it up..I want a Thanksgiving win against the Seasocks..that would be like extra gravy, all the gravy 🍗

I heard the Jags have a pretty bad OL and that Lawrence Isn't really that good? So I'm guessing that played a part In the defensive dominating performance yesterday.

The games against the Seahawks and Eagles should be interesting.
  • Disp
  • Veteran

we rank 2nd on D

Okay. They had 2 bad games and are still sitting at the top of the league. Lest we not forget we gave up 500+ yards to both the chiefs and raiders last season.

And people were flipping out at those too, but they righted the ship. If they keep playing similarly to how they did yesterday then no one will remember those blips, but two games in a row feels more like the beginnings of a trend. The Jags game did a lot to cool everyone down though, and hopefully they continue as we begin the tough part of our schedule starting in a week and a half.

we rank 2nd on D

And people were flipping out at those too, but they righted the ship. If they keep playing similarly to how they did yesterday then no one will remember those blips, but two games in a row feels more like the beginnings of a trend. The Jags game did a lot to cool everyone down though, and hopefully they continue as we begin the tough part of our schedule starting in a week and a half.

Here's my prob, flipping out is saying we need to do x, y, z instead. That's not what ppl did. Ppl said Wilks sucks, he should go in the stands and sell tacos, he is trash, he's the worst DC, an idiot and so forth. So nothing constructive, just destructive let's insult and belittle this man, cuz the team is losing (and scoring 17 a game I might add). Even the let's change things up thread, started with well we fired Wilks, how do you change it up, as the premise. So just massive overreactions, and nothing constructive, just ppl taking out their frustrations, was tough to sit back and listen to. Seems like a good man to me, and I have confidence in his ability to help our team win games.

we rank 2nd on D

Here's my prob, flipping out is saying we need to do x, y, z instead. That's not what ppl did. Ppl said Wilks sucks, he should go in the stands and sell tacos, he is trash, he's the worst DC, an idiot and so forth. So nothing constructive, just destructive let's insult and belittle this man, cuz the team is losing (and scoring 17 a game I might add). Even the let's change things up thread, started with well we fired Wilks, how do you change it up, as the premise. So just massive overreactions, and nothing constructive, just ppl taking out their frustrations, was tough to sit back and listen to. Seems like a good man to me, and I have confidence in his ability to help our team win games.

It's one game coming back from the cellar. Let's not over react the other way either.
[ Edited by bassmanr on Nov 13, 2023 at 12:05 PM ]
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

rookie dc? What?

It was the improvement in coverage.

Brock and Trevor both had 3.53 seconds on average before pressure got to them yesterday. Brock was actually pressured on 7% more of his dropbacks. Results were not the same though.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Nov 13, 2023 at 12:09 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone