LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 262 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by justjim77:
Can anyone confirm that the Ambry Thomas TD was called back because Wilks didn't know where the sideline was and walked on the field? Can't believe no one is noticing this.

That would be kyle shannahan and 7 other 49ers players who all thought the play was over from their perspective.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
On that sack fumble, they put Arik Armstead in zone coverage and rushed only Nick, Chace and the Gravedigger.

That was actually not a bad call IMO. It's not a common call but it's in plenty of playbooks to drop the DT to obscure passing lanes and make the quarterback think more.

I know. My point was ribbing the guys who explode when a DL guy is in zone and a play is made because there was no pressure. I think Miami did that pretty frequently last year, but there was some weird alignment rules which determined who dropped back.

As a side note, I discovered last year that in Madden culture there is a type of defense where you put all but one or two DL into zones. It is called the First And Goal defense. The acronym, I think, is deliberate.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
It was the improvement in coverage.

Brock and Trevor both had 3.53 seconds on average before pressure got to them yesterday. Brock was actually pressured on 7% more of his dropbacks. Results were not the same though.

So Barbie folds under pressure, I had a *small* feeling this might happen because of Trev's sack record..was it last year? I forget..he made the record for most sacks taken in a game or something. The feeling was very small that it might happen..where he just gets sacked the s**t out of..I thought possible but naa would it really happen again, like that? And sure enough.
That's insane
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
That's insane

Lol
Dude was trying desperately to hide in the back somewhere to write on his whiteboard.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Like a stunt. Works for me.

it was a good game and I was surprised to see Wilks adjust so much. I didn't think he could do it, but let's keep stringing good games together. I would love to be wrong and hope he ends up being awesome.

new DC take a while to adjust with self scouting both Saleh and Ryans started off slow to in fact the D ranks wereway lower than with Wilks
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
That's insane

Lol

People say the move to the sideline is overblown, but I don't think it's *that* overblown.

There's some significant advantages specific to our team.

1) it's what our players are used to. When you have Super Bowl caliber talent on defense, you really shouldn't be changing anything they're comfortable with. The less transitions the better.

2) the communication is huge and that covers numerous things. Our guys can ask questions and the ability for Wilks to get feedback from our top tier talent on what they're seeing out there is pretty significant. These guys are so good, many are like coaches on the field. A guy can come up and say "get me one on one with this guy, he can't stop me." or "Arik and I or Chase and I wanted to combo on these looks." And it works the other way too, Wilks is seeing all of them at once and is able to give live, direct, one on one or group feedback instead of relaying messages over the phone or thru a third party.
People say the move to the sideline is overblown, but I don't think it's *that* overblown.

1) it's what our players are used to. When you have Super Bowl caliber talent on defense, you really shouldn't be changing anything they're comfortable with. The less transitions the better.

2) the communication is huge and that covers numerous things. Our guys can ask questions and the ability for Wilks to get feedback from our top tier talent on what they're seeing out there is pretty significant. These guys are so good, many are like coaches on the field. A guy can come up and say "get me one on one with this guy, he can't stop me." or "Arik and I or Chase and I wanted to combo on these looks." And it works the other way too, Wilks is seeing all of them at once and is able to give live, direct, one on one or group feedback instead of relaying messages over the phone or thru a third party.

i think the biggest dif, it was a slap in the face to Wilks and by extension, our D players,
they responded
players all knew why Wilks was coming down

Originally posted by ritz126:
Like a stunt. Works for me.

it was a good game and I was surprised to see Wilks adjust so much. I didn't think he could do it, but let's keep stringing good games together. I would love to be wrong and hope he ends up being awesome.

new DC take a while to adjust with self scouting both Saleh and Ryans started off slow to in fact the D ranks wereway lower than with Wilks

I know but Wilks looked especially bad the last few weeks. I understand what you are saying and agree, but to make these guy look bad is crazy as well.
DC on the sideline is a must. it's not overrated. it's the brand. it's like not having a boombox guy.
I know but Wilks looked especially bad the last few weeks. I understand what you are saying and agree, but to make these guy look bad is crazy as well.

they looked bad, I don't think Wilks made em look bad, they just didn't play well
  • thl408

I buy it. The DC being on the sideline is simply a core aspect to the 49ers defensive scheme with this set of core players. I think Wilks having a defensiveback background makes him think that being up high is the best way to go since it allows him to see WR routes better. But his voice being heard by all the players could be more beneficial.
Originally posted by thl408:

I buy it. The DC being on the sideline is simply a core aspect to the 49ers defensive scheme with this set of core players. I think Wilks having a defensiveback background makes him think that being up high is the best way to go since it allows him to see WR routes better. But his voice being heard by all the players could be more beneficial.

Agree. Kind of interesting how his first game on the sideline, we allow our lowest point total all year on defense. As pickle also said above, I agree it's just kind of our "brand" lol.

He rightfully took the brunt of the blame for bad calls and our guys being put it poor position in the prior weeks, but he also deserves a lot of credit for the changes he made schematically/play-call wise, and being willing to come down to the sideline (that's also more a credit to Kyle a bit more IMO, because Wilks may not have moved if Kyle hadn't pressed him on it), ultimately helping lead our best defensive effort of the year so far.

He stepped up this week. The players stepped up. Our top guys came back rested, healthy, and focused. And we got our worst performer on defense (Oliver) off the field, while rewarding guys who earned opportunities -- like Givens -- with more snaps out there.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 14, 2023 at 12:13 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone