LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 242 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
People say the move to the sideline is overblown, but I don't think it's *that* overblown.

There's some significant advantages specific to our team.

1) it's what our players are used to. When you have Super Bowl caliber talent on defense, you really shouldn't be changing anything they're comfortable with. The less transitions the better.

2) the communication is huge and that covers numerous things. Our guys can ask questions and the ability for Wilks to get feedback from our top tier talent on what they're seeing out there is pretty significant. These guys are so good, many are like coaches on the field. A guy can come up and say "get me one on one with this guy, he can't stop me." or "Arik and I or Chase and I wanted to combo on these looks." And it works the other way too, Wilks is seeing all of them at once and is able to give live, direct, one on one or group feedback instead of relaying messages over the phone or thru a third party.

I buy it. The DC being on the sideline is simply a core aspect to the 49ers defensive scheme with this set of core players. I think Wilks having a defensiveback background makes him think that being up high is the best way to go since it allows him to see WR routes better. But his voice being heard by all the players could be more beneficial.

Also agree with all above. Additionally, a shout out to Wilks who came under fire, readjusted and showed us what a well called D game looks like. For whatever reason, but probably most because of DC/ D player interaction…DC on the field…is THE place for him to be with this D crew.
Wilks coming down to the sideline was key but not what everyone seems to think. By being in the booth, Steve Wilks eccentrically eliminated his best attribute and strength as a long time coach in this league. The term, 'Leader of Men" has been what players, coaches, and former employees have all called Wilks. His attractiveness was just that, he's a leader that players love and follow. His words are powerful and impactful in the lives and performances of his players. By Steve Wilks putting himself out of the way and hiding out in the booth hurt him and the players that needed to hear from their chief. All the players have said that the calls haven't really changed and they just had to execute better, but they were missing him doing what he does best and that is directly communicate with players who have shown that, if capable they will run through a wall for him. As Richard Sherman said, take Wilks key or change the locks so he can never enter a booth again, for his own good.
Originally posted by justjim77:
Can anyone confirm that the Ambry Thomas TD was called back because Wilks didn't know where the sideline was and walked on the field? Can't believe no one is noticing this.

wilks didnt step onto the playing field
Kyle must've reiterated that the defense has an elite front not back
thread is dropping off, with the scapegoat style posts gone

here was our D drive chart in Jax:

punt
punt
punt
fumble
fg
int
fumble
int
punt
punt

now that, is elite
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
thread is dropping off, with the scapegoat style posts gone

here was our D drive chart in Jax:

punt
punt
punt
fumble
fg
int
fumble
int
punt
punt

now that, is elite

Elite coaching or elite players? Because we know we have one of those things.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

if he gets 3 threads worth of fire him style blame when it goes wrong, he gets some job well done when it goes right

if he gets 3 threads worth of fire him style blame when it goes wrong, he gets some job well done when it goes right

Of course he deserves some credit... but it appears you're blaming the players for the last couple of weeks... not Wilks.

When someone brought up his poor coaching the last few weeks, you said this:
"they looked bad, I don't think Wilks made em look bad, they just didn't play well"
Meh we will see against sea and phl

Of course he deserves some credit... but it appears you're blaming the players for the last couple of weeks... not Wilks.

"they looked bad, I don't think Wilks made em look bad, they just didn't play well"

Wilks took enough heat from the 3 threads asking for his head imo
had to apologize and relocate himself

so he had to enjoy some humble pie, I feel the players deserved some also, i've given concrete examples of players not executing
let's not paint in absolutes of is it x or y, well it's both, the ups and downs

I'm more bullish on the players than Wilks, they are more resulting in the product you see each week, I have consistently said, let's give the man a chance as DC
I think we established NFL records for most b****** over 2nd in the NFL in points on D

It was pretty cool to see Wilks interaction with the guys on the sideline. This is what we like to see, man.

https://youtu.be/CNN25ZLRBl4?si=cgZech-RmuaTf2-Z
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
It was pretty cool to see Wilks interaction with the guys on the sideline. This is what we like to see, man.

That video was totally dope!

Sorry but that's not how it works. With the talent level on this defense, Wilks is allowed to have a couple bad games, but this is expected to be a top 3 defense. Toughest part of the schedule is coming up, so let's see how he does down the stretch and through the playoffs before declaring that he's got it together. Kudos to him for the last game, but that's all it is.

A better clip here so you don't have to search the whole video on my prior post. Wilks was fired up! (No wordplay intended here lol)

THIS is the character of this team. Our guys need their coach to be a dawg barking on the sidelines with them after a big play, as well as the calm leader when we need to adjust. Wilks was always known for his leadership in terms of the latter, but I love seeing him as the former now too.

Hope to see much more of this pumped up version of Wilks.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 17, 2023 at 6:43 AM ]
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Sorry but that's not how it works. With the talent level on this defense, Wilks is allowed to have a couple bad games, but this is expected to be a top 3 defense. Toughest part of the schedule is coming up, so let's see how he does down the stretch and through the playoffs before declaring that he's got it together. Kudos to him for the last game, but that's all it is.

Here are some defensive ranks
Points/game: 1st
Yards/game: 5th
Pass yards/game:5th
Rush Yards/game: 4th
Turnovers/game: 3rd
Interceptions: 1st

Our D is playing great
Share 49ersWebzone