LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 248 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
If Wilks doesn't attack this Philly O the way the Chiefs are then we know he's a complete failure. This is a blue print in defending short quick screens and slants with press coverage.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Wait people actually think/believe Wilks will be fired? We have one of the best defenses in the NFL, I can see him getting a HC gig, not fired though, makes no sense. Also if he gets a HC gig we won't get a comp pick due to the fact Wilks needs to be here for 2 or more years to qualify for that minority comp pick for the 49ers, Wilks will be the DC in 2024 IMO.

Yup. I don't think he's a good coordinator at all. It's hard to separate talent from coaching, but we will see.

Reasoning for this? One of the top Defenses in the league, yet he's not a good DC? Wow just wow

Wow what? With your logic, the Bills just made a horrible mistake firing their OC since they're one of the best offenses in football.

-lack of stunts
-too much man coverage while knowing we don't have man corners
-bad calls at critical moments
-didn't utilize Hufanga around the line of scrimmage
-supposed to be a DB guru but he pounded the table for Oliver who can't even play in his scheme
Originally posted by MBNINER90266:
If Wilks doesn't attack this Philly O the way the Chiefs are then we know he's a complete failure. This is a blue print in defending short quick screens and slants with press coverage.

The issue is we don't have the same CB talent. Thus guys will be playing off. Maybe he says f**k it and plays a ton of press man. They played more press man versus the Jags and cowboys. Not so much versus anybody else. Definitely need to have guys focus on the screens
Originally posted by lamontb:

The issue is we don't have the same CB talent. Thus guys will be playing off. Maybe he says f**k it and plays a ton of press man. They played more press man versus the Jags and cowboys. Not so much versus anybody else. Definitely need to have guys focus on the screens

Seems to work well against both so I'm not sure why we don't do it. Sure we may give up a big play or some PI, but the positives outweigh the negatives. I would just tell the guys to hold if they're getting beat. Not going to call it every time.

And those were by far their 2 most dominant games. I don't trust Wilks at all
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

I don't either. Hope I'm wrong, but time will tell.
Per the usual....the problem is we feel the need to rush to judgement. D looked pretty damn good the last 2 games.

Alot of football to be played. Given the talent he has, "we'll see" how good he is.
Originally posted by random49er:
Per the usual....the problem is we feel the need to rush to judgement. D looked pretty damn good the last 2 games.

Alot of football to be played. Given the talent he has, "we'll see" how good he is.

My problem with the D starts with the run D. Teams run at will against us and only get out of it if Purdy and the offense put up points they have to keep up with. Also the blitzing. Our secondary is weak and the only thing that can mask it is the line. With Young, Bosa, Hargrave and AA we shouldn't ever need to blitz. When we do it amplifies our weaknesses.
[ Edited by SLCNiner on Nov 20, 2023 at 9:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Again. and i will keep saying this as long as people say they cant trust this DC
Here are our NFL ranks
points per game:1st
TD allowed: 2nd
yards allowed: 5th
Turnovers: 2nd
interceptions:1st

PPG we are allowing less than last year
Yards per game we are allowing the same as last year
Turnovers we are forcing more than last year
  • jimrat
  • Veteran

I fear this defense Is gonna struggle against the Eagles offense.

I guess we'll find out how good/bad he Is over the next 3 games or so.
Originally posted by Sickaa:

just remember if we do well it's on the great players, if we do poorly it's on Steve
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Sickaa:

just remember if we do well it's on the great players, if we do poorly it's on Steve

And the same for Jimmy and Kyle.
[ Edited by Waterbear on Nov 21, 2023 at 8:19 AM ]

I was thinking the same thing while I watched that game. KC doesn't have near as good a front 7 that the Niners do. They were able to completely shut down Philly for much of the night. Sacking Hurts. Stopping the run for losses. There's no reason the SF D can't do the same. They need to attack more and not play passively.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I was thinking the same thing while I watched that game. KC doesn't have near as good a front 7 that the Niners do. They were able to completely shut down Philly for much of the night. Sacking Hurts. Stopping the run for losses. There's no reason the SF D can't do the same. They need to attack more and not play passively.

Idk… KC's front is really good. Not saying their linebackers are comparable, but their DL is very good. Chris Jones is probably more impactful than Bosa. Not to mention they have better corners.
Share 49ersWebzone