LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 197 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by All22:
But Wilks kinda sucks though. All the creative blitzes and free runners to the QB from last season are gone. Even when we rush 5 or 6 everyone gets picked up and multiple guys have to win their matchup to get pressure.

We are bottom 4 in blitzes and top 3 in Qb pressures

edit:Also we have the highest amount of QB hits in NFL
[ Edited by ritz126 on Nov 21, 2023 at 6:32 PM ]
Originally posted by ritz126:
But Wilks kinda sucks though. All the creative blitzes and free runners to the QB from last season are gone. Even when we rush 5 or 6 everyone gets picked up and multiple guys have to win their matchup to get pressure.

Ritz
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Ritz
imagine if Wilks could actually be better with his calls

We are doing enough, but it's the Defense has to work harder. What did Greenlaw say, something like the defense has to overcome bad calls ?
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Nov 22, 2023 at 9:57 AM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Ritz

We are doing enough, but it's the Defense has to work harder. What did Greenlaw say, something like the defense has to overcome bad calls ?

lol, i suspect you ain't getting it right
Ward said it's up to the players to execute the calls, like on the much maligned end of half call, that was an INT, if executed

DL is making like a hundred million, I'd hope that they could rack up hits on just talent alone.
Ward said it's up to the players to execute the calls, like on the much maligned end of half call, that was an INT, if executed

And what? The half ends. The risk/reward ratio was completely out of wack. It was a horrible call and everyone knew it which is why Kyle went out of his way to address it.

Wilks being brought down to the sidelines wasn't his choice. He was told to do it or take his walking papers and GTFO. If the defense falters down the stretch then he's still getting mutually parted at years end.

Ritz

An INT at midfield...with no time on the clock...yeah totally worth that risk.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

DL is making like a hundred million, I'd hope that they could rack up hits on just talent alone.

This. I actually expected t more lol
Originally posted by RDB4216:

Ritz

I'm not defending the call here, just supplying the quote I believe another poster was referring to
and pointing out, that scheme is one thing, execution is another

Ritz

I'm not defending the call here, just supplying the quote I believe another poster was referring to
you are defending bad calls, The bad call at the half was executed. it was intercepted but taken away. We have to overcome bad calls

Ritz

you are defending bad calls, The bad call at the half was executed. it was intercepted but taken away. We have to overcome bad calls

lol, the call was effed up, you want me to say the call sucked, the call sucked
defend this big boy
give me another bad call, can you do more than 1?

Ritz

defend this big boy
whoa whoa calm down... but if you want.. how about all the soft coverages playing off quick pass gameplans against us or not knowing a screen is going to be called plays?

We're not perfect and i don't expect them to be, but the DC should be trying make it easier, not harder.

Ritz

defend this big boy
whoa whoa calm down... but if you want.. how about all the soft coverages playing off quick pass gameplans against us or not knowing a screen is going to be called plays?

We're not perfect and i don't expect them to be, but the DC should be trying make it easier, not harder.

sorry I was doing my coffee extra strong this AM
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

This. I actually expected t more lol

and that is a fair point because we are very middling when it comes to actual sacks but QB hits tells us we are getting there.

Its funny stats wise comparing last year to this year
2023 ppg is better 2022 ppg
2023 yards is same 2022 yards
2023 3rd down conversion % is same as 2022
2023 Turnovers is better than 2022

really the biggest difference is actual sacks which i think is why the perception is the D is a lot worse because points wise and turnover wise is better while being the same as yards

Ritz

defend this big boy

sorry I was doing my coffee extra strong this AM

LOL ya there is no excuse for that call it doesn't matter if it was an interception or not

the outcome should not dictate whether the decision is good. You can be at the 1 yard line and run it 4 times and not get it but that is the right call just like if its 4th and 10 and you need to convert and you run it and make it that might not be the right call even if it worked
Share 49ersWebzone