Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by All22:
But Wilks kinda sucks though. All the creative blitzes and free runners to the QB from last season are gone. Even when we rush 5 or 6 everyone gets picked up and multiple guys have to win their matchup to get pressure.

We are bottom 4 in blitzes and top 3 in Qb pressures

edit:Also we have the highest amount of QB hits in NFL

Ritz
imagine if Wilks could actually be better with his calls

We are doing enough, but it's the Defense has to work harder. What did Greenlaw say, something like the defense has to overcome bad calls ?

lol, i suspect you ain't getting it right
Ward said it's up to the players to execute the calls, like on the much maligned end of half call, that was an INT, if executed

An INT at midfield...with no time on the clock...yeah totally worth that risk.

I'm not defending the call here, just supplying the quote I believe another poster was referring to
and pointing out, that scheme is one thing, execution is another
you are defending bad calls, The bad call at the half was executed. it was intercepted but taken away. We have to overcome bad calls

lol, the call was effed up, you want me to say the call sucked, the call sucked
defend this big boy
give me another bad call, can you do more than 1?
whoa whoa calm down... but if you want.. how about all the soft coverages playing off quick pass gameplans against us or not knowing a screen is going to be called plays?

We're not perfect and i don't expect them to be, but the DC should be trying make it easier, not harder.

sorry I was doing my coffee extra strong this AM

LOL ya there is no excuse for that call it doesn't matter if it was an interception or not

the outcome should not dictate whether the decision is good. You can be at the 1 yard line and run it 4 times and not get it but that is the right call just like if its 4th and 10 and you need to convert and you run it and make it that might not be the right call even if it worked

Agreed, I don't defend the call, it was a bad call
every player or player caller, if honest, will admit to mistakes in trying to win football games
he stood up there and said I got it wrong and I have to be better, why are we still hashing and rehashing, is there any other bad calls, or just the 1? looking for specific calls, not vague generalities
every player or player caller, if honest, will admit to mistakes in trying to win football games
he stood up there and said I got it wrong and I have to be better, why are we still hashing and rehashing, is there any other bad calls, or just the 1? looking for specific calls, not vague generalities

Do you honestly think we moved Wilks down to the sideline in conjunction with the various comments the team made about adjustments and self scouting because of one single call? There's bad calls and poor execution all over the film.

We were the 15th ranked defense by DVOA entering the bye… which is absurd given the talent we have. I think we're the 7th or 8th now, so hopefully we are trending in the right direction. Most of us are going to have some reservation until we face another good offense.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Nov 22, 2023 at 11:51 AM ]
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Do you honestly think we moved Wilks down to the sideline in conjunction with the various comments the team made about adjustments and self scouting because of one single call? There's bad calls and poor execution all over the film.

We were the 15th ranked defense by DVOA entering the bye… which is absurd given the talent we have. I think we're the 7th or 8th now, so hopefully we are trending in the right direction. Most of us are going to have some reservation until we face another good offense.

Poor execution yes, I agree totally. I think it was a let's shake it up type move. All the D players know what's up when the head guy has to relocate. It's a matter of pride.

Simple request, let's see the film of a bad call, other than the obvious one. I saw a lot of crap tackling, not getting Burrow to ground, dropped INTs, you name it. I don't view Wilks as some Belichickian D mind, and I don't think Wilks D plans will be viewed in the HOF, I just saw a pile on, during the losing streak, and he was scapegoated in an extreme fashion, with three Wilks threads calling for his head. So there needed to be a wait a second, give this man a chance type of push back. I see a good communicator, who knows our weak link DBs, I see Ambry having a turnaround, Brown will look to make an impact, Lenoir playing some better ball, etc. We have young guys in the back, and he is helping us there. The talent is absurd, but the he needs to be fired and sell tacos in the stands takes were absurd also. You can see ppl wanting Saleh and Ryans fired also, so there's a pattern here.

Poor execution yes, I agree totally. I think it was a let's shake it up type move. All the D players know what's up when the head guy has to relocate. It's a matter of pride.

Simple request, let's see the film of a bad call, other than the obvious one. I saw a lot of crap tackling, not getting Burrow to ground, dropped INTs, you name it. I don't view Wilks as some Belichickian D mind, and I don't think Wilks D plans will be viewed in the HOF, I just saw a pile on, during the losing streak, and he was scapegoated in an extreme fashion, with three Wilks threads calling for his head. So there needed to be a wait a second, give this man a chance type of push back. I see a good communicator, who knows our weak link DBs, I see Ambry having a turnaround, Brown will look to make an impact, Lenoir playing some better ball, etc. We have young guys in the back, and he is helping us there. The talent is absurd, but the he needs to be fired and sell tacos in the stands takes were absurd also. You can see ppl wanting Saleh and Ryans fired also, so there's a pattern here.

There was poor execution, for sure - and a distinct lack of effort and energy. I saw that in Bosa and Armstead in particular, the first several weeks. That has changed a lot the last 2 weeks. If that is Wilks on the sidelines, the addition of Young, or just finally waking up - I have no way of knowing. My biggest problem with Wilks is what he said Vs. what he did. He claimed he was watching film and wasn't going to change what worked. Was going to add some more man coverage and creative blitzes because the talent was there for it. But what he did, was bring in a bunch of soft zone and neuter the pass rush by having them hold a single rush lane. No stunts, no countermoves. It looked like our d-line was walking up to a brick wall and just trying to push it. So I don't see where ANY of that was "keeping what's been working".

And to the point of comparing people wanting Wilks gone to Saleh and Ryans, there is a big difference. Saleh and Ryans were both young guys and their first time as defensive coordinators. They had to get a feel for what they were doing. They were also building this defense and the identity of it, as they were going along. Wilks has the experience already before coming here, and this defense was all-pro. He was handed the keys to a Porche, and drove it like it was a school bus. I've said it before, this defense went from "all gas, no breaks" to "stand around and watch".
There was poor execution, for sure - and a distinct lack of effort and energy. I saw that in Bosa and Armstead in particular, the first several weeks. That has changed a lot the last 2 weeks. If that is Wilks on the sidelines, the addition of Young, or just finally waking up - I have no way of knowing. My biggest problem with Wilks is what he said Vs. what he did. He claimed he was watching film and wasn't going to change what worked. Was going to add some more man coverage and creative blitzes because the talent was there for it. But what he did, was bring in a bunch of soft zone and neuter the pass rush by having them hold a single rush lane. No stunts, no countermoves. It looked like our d-line was walking up to a brick wall and just trying to push it. So I don't see where ANY of that was "keeping what's been working".

And to the point of comparing people wanting Wilks gone to Saleh and Ryans, there is a big difference. Saleh and Ryans were both young guys and their first time as defensive coordinators. They had to get a feel for what they were doing. They were also building this defense and the identity of it, as they were going along. Wilks has the experience already before coming here, and this defense was all-pro. He was handed the keys to a Porche, and drove it like it was a school bus. I've said it before, this defense went from "all gas, no breaks" to "stand around and watch".

this cuts both ways, Saleh, already ran the system and had a long history with KS, Ryans was in the system and promoted from within,
Wilks was a true outsider, KS has talked about this, it's a lil different deal, so sure Wilks is older, or 'more experienced' but he was a lot less so with the Niners and Kyle, than the other 2 guys..

this cuts both ways, Saleh, already ran the system and had a long history with KS, Ryans was in the system and promoted from within,
Wilks was a true outsider, KS has talked about this, it's a lil different deal, so sure Wilks is older, or 'more experienced' but he was a lot less so with the Niners and Kyle, than the other 2 guys..
Are you going to ignore that first paragraph on what wilks doing wrong like you asked?
Are you going to ignore that first paragraph on what wilks doing wrong like you asked?

the proof is in the pudding, if you allow me the honor of doing a guest spot in providing an education..

we have 10 games

games with under 20: 7
games with under 20-30: 2
games over 30: 1

ppg for (offense): 3rd
ppg against (D): 1st
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Nov 22, 2023 at 2:21 PM ]
the proof is in the pudding, if you allow me the honor of doing a guest spot in providing an education..

we have 10 games

Those stats don't differentiate between what is great defensive play and what is poor offensive play and of course the combination/mixture of both. It's a completely hollow way of analyzing the quality of play of a unit.

Going into the bye, and definitely after the Vikings game, you were citing the fact that we were top 3 (IIRC) in ppg allowed while our DVOA rank was middle of the pack and there was near universal criticism of the unit (coaching and players) by anyone willing watch their actual play. Again, the team addressed this directly in both statement and action… they clearly weren't looking at an average.

we have 10 games

Those stats don't differentiate between what is great defensive play and what is poor offensive play and of course the combination/mixture of both. It's a completely hollow way of analyzing the quality of play of a unit.

Going into the bye, and definitely after the Vikings game, you were citing the fact that we were top 3 (IIRC) in ppg allowed while our DVOA rank was middle of the pack and there was near universal criticism of the unit (coaching and players) by anyone willing watch their actual play. Again, the team addressed this directly in both statement and action… they clearly weren't looking at an average.

In fairness, I believe you said, expect us to slide down the ppg ranks, as the D is revealed over time, the opposite has come true tho,

points is the goal, now if you want to say oh this game there was an unusual circumstance, or this game the opponent committed a bunch of unforced errors, fine, that all comes out in the wash, over a season.. can't dumb luck your way into #1 in the NFL in ppg, on O or D, I am looking at full season 10 games to date, ranks.

on the team addressing it, yeah, they did and Wilks responded, vs Jax was our perhaps finest hour, and look at vs Tampa also. Isn't that what we want? We point out areas of improvement, and voila.
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Nov 22, 2023 at 2:36 PM ]
In fairness, I believe you said, expect us to slide down the ppg ranks, as the D is revealed over time, the opposite has come true tho,

points is the goal, now if you want to say oh this game there was an unusual circumstance, or this game the opponent committed a bunch of unforced errors, fine, that all comes out in the wash, over a season.. can't dumb luck your way into #1 in the NFL in ppg, on O or D, I am looking at full season 10 games to date, ranks.

on the team addressing it, yeah, they did and Wilks responded, vs Jax was our perhaps finest hour, and look at vs Tampa also. Isn't that what we want? We point out areas of improvement, and voila.

If you really want to get into details of what was said, and when, I said those ppg game numbers could look worse as we play better offenses… and I said that after the Vikings game. And when we played a good offensive the next week, our defensive performance was abysmal (again). Since that point we had a bye week where we added an elite talent at DE, self scouted, and moved Wilks to the sideline. We also played two mediocre at best offenses in the only two games we've seen since. We'll see what happens as we play those better offenses going forward.

Regardless of that, you're still using a stat that is influenced by quality of opponent, quality of our offense, and quality of our defensive play. It does not tell you anything definitive about the defensive play alone… which is why you can say top 3 in ppg while an efficiency stat like DVOA that at least attempts to isolate the defense on its own will say middle of the pack (at that time). That in conjunction with the fact that the team made changes including addressing the issue publicly should indicate to you that things weren't going well. And obviously watching the film and judging the play using the eye test will as well… but you're avoiding that end of the conversation in this exchange. One poster brought up specific issues he thinks he's seeing, and you avoided it and threw ppg at him, lol. We get it. The ppg is good over the year so far. What about the actual play of the defense by itself?
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Nov 22, 2023 at 2:56 PM ]

If you really want to get into details of what was said, and when, I said those ppg game numbers could look worse as we play better offenses… and I said that after the Vikings game. And when we played a good offensive the next week, our defensive performance was abysmal (again). Since that point we had a bye week where we added an elite talent at DE, self scouted, and moved Wilks to the sideline. We also played two mediocre at best offenses in the only two games we've seen since. We'll see what happens as we play those better offenses going forward.

Regardless of that, you're still using a stat that is influenced by quality of opponent, quality of our offense, and quality of our defensive play. It does not tell you anything definitive about the defensive play alone… which is why you can say top 3 in ppg while an efficiency stat like DVOA that at least attempts to isolate the defense on its own will say middle of the pack (at that time). That in conjunction with the fact that the team made changes including addressing the issue publicly should indicate to you that things weren't going well. And obviously watching the film and judging the play using the eye test will as well… but you're avoiding that end of the conversation in this exchange. One poster brought up specific issues he thinks he's seeing, and you avoided it and threw ppg at him, lol. We get it. The ppg is good over the year so far. What about the actual play of the defense by itself?

I'm on record, we had a bad run of it, as a team, D included, BP included, Moody included, OL included, etc. The D got the heat, but it was team wide, D included in that. I think perhaps you undersell Jax O. They have a lot of good O players, and a guy on the play sheet with a good track record.

I don't think the slump is who we are as a D unit, I think it's an aberration. Players are pretty open, we were feeling ourselves a bit after DAL, and when you take a good team like that apart, it's easy to get a tad overconfident, lose some of that needed edge. I think we're back in a good spot now.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by All22:
But Wilks kinda sucks though. All the creative blitzes and free runners to the QB from last season are gone. Even when we rush 5 or 6 everyone gets picked up and multiple guys have to win their matchup to get pressure.

We are bottom 4 in blitzes and top 3 in Qb pressures

edit:Also we have the highest amount of QB hits in NFL

We're 3rd in DL spending with Bosa is still on his rookie deal and two other teams paying $20M towards our players.
We have more 1st and 2nd round picks coming off the bench than most teams have on their entire DL.
[ Edited by All22 on Nov 22, 2023 at 4:33 PM ]

Here are all the teams we kept below their average PPG

Dallas
Jaguars
Vikings
Browns
Cardinals
Steelers
Giants
Tampa

that's 8/80 teams we faced the two are Bengals and Rams who id they didn't get that FG would be on above list as well
[ Edited by ritz126 on Nov 22, 2023 at 5:54 PM ]
Here are all the teams we kept below their average PPG

Dallas
Jaguars
Vikings
Browns
Cardinals
Steelers
Giants
Tampa

that's 8/80 teams we faced the two are Bengals and Rams who id they didn't get that FG would be on above list as well

Re-read the 2nd paragraph in my post and ask yourself if you think I'm going to view this as a meaningful evaluation of the quality of defense we were playing.
Lots of chatter about Wilks getting a shot at an open HC position next season. He c will have to choose this season strong, so hoping he does well for our sake.
Do we have anyone in house who can be a coordinator?
Share 49ersWebzone