LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 276 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
coverage is way tighter and thomas seems to be growing. Putting oliver on the bench made a huge difference. Pass rush looks like it should.

Hate how he plays late in halfs. My only gripe today.
Originally posted by _Goldblooded_:
coverage is way tighter and thomas seems to be growing. Putting oliver on the bench made a huge difference. Pass rush looks like it should.

how he plays late in halves is dictated by Kyle he does what is known as situational football, protect the endzone / bend don't break, we complained about it when it was in Wilks hand, and asked him to do this instead, it's better now than it was
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

how he plays late in halves is dictated by Kyle he does what is known as situational football, protect the endzone / bend don't break, we complained about it when it was in Wilks hand, and asked him to do this instead, it's better now than it was
Got a link to what Kyle wants late in halfs? Would like to read up on it
The guy is a GREAT DC and I see why he is so highly respected by players around this league. Best defensive performance in years, especially doing it against that team in their place.
Best game the secondary has had all year hands down. To to me it's apparent that it's certain wr's that Wilks doesn't fear. Our Cbs played much more man press and zone press coverage this game. Same for the Cowboys, and Jaqs games. While all the other games it seemed like our cbs played off and scared. Many of the sacks today were coverage sacks. Even on the blitzes the coverage forced Geno to hold on to the ball. Props across the board.

That was smart play at the end of the half. So what you give up 3. The key is not to give up a quick easy 7 and then give the ball back. You have to play with your corners off in that situation. And if Ward makes that int versus Minnesota everybody would be saying how ballsy Wilks is for that call.
Some secondary players are looking like they're improving.
Originally posted by random49er:
Some secondary players are looking like they're improving.

I think Thomas has been pretty great in the last two games.

Ward obviously had a great game tonight as well. Seems to really like that matchup with DK
Originally posted by lamontb:
Best game the secondary has had all year hands down. To to me it's apparent that it's certain wr's that Wilks doesn't fear. Our Cbs played much more man press and zone press coverage this game. Same for the Cowboys, and Jaqs games. While all the other games it seemed like our cbs played off and scared. Many of the sacks today were coverage sacks. Even on the blitzes the coverage forced Geno to hold on to the ball. Props across the board.

We weren't perfect but I'll give Wilks credit for whatever he's doing to make Ambry Thomas better.
bump for Wilks

Next game vs Philly will tell us a lot about our postseason aspirations and I'm intrigued about how Wilks handles this. I'm really hoping it was just a matter of him getting to know and understand the players and will continue improving as the season progresses. Sacks have really started coming back and Young doesn't hurt that area.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Next game vs Philly will tell us a lot about our postseason aspirations and I'm intrigued about how Wilks handles this. I'm really hoping it was just a matter of him getting to know and understand the players and will continue improving as the season progresses. Sacks have really started coming back and Young doesn't hurt that area.

Agree, it's a big measuring stick for this team. How the 49ers handle an opposing team with superior talent and in their back yard (homefield advantage) will tell me a bit more of how deep they will go into the playoffs.
Thomas and Ward have really stepped it up. Adding Young was huge. The move out of the box appears to have been sound. Stock up!
just gonna point out that saying Wilks was a problem and he's got to go and lately he's back is a literal Cohn take
those are literal Cohn vid titles over the past month or so

Would agree. Love the changes since he has been down on the field!
Share 49ersWebzone