LISTEN: This Isn't Kyle Shanahan's Year →

There are 326 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Ark49er:
The guy is a GREAT DC and I see why he is so highly respected by players around this league. Best defensive performance in years, especially doing it against that team in their place.

I have to say in spite of other issues, some not Wilks's fault (injuries and no one that can consistently man the slot until now possibly), we pick off the ball now better than we have in nearly 30 years. I think his influence is still growing as he blends what he does and what the team does. I can see him getting to bring in some defensive assistants next year, not as position coaches, but maybe Bullocks gets an assistant the way Kocurek has Tapp.

I think Wilks will definitely be here next year, but its clear the defense is playing far better now than they played in the 5 game win streak, which bodes well for us.
Get us to the superbowl. How could you fail with this defense?
  • thl408
The way I interpreted Mooney's comments (postgame at SEA), it seemed like pregame Kyle asked if Mooney was going to shadow Metcalf. When Mooney said 'no', Kyle said well he should. And that's how Mooney shadowed Metcalf the entire game.
If that's correct, then why isn't this known before the game - isn't Wilks outlining the gameplan so he and Kyle are on the same page, maybe a day before the game? Perhaps because it's short week? Still, it should be happening.

@0:50 second mark
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Best game the secondary has had all year hands down. To to me it's apparent that it's certain wr's that Wilks doesn't fear. Our Cbs played much more man press and zone press coverage this game. Same for the Cowboys, and Jaqs games. While all the other games it seemed like our cbs played off and scared. Many of the sacks today were coverage sacks. Even on the blitzes the coverage forced Geno to hold on to the ball. Props across the board.

DK only runs a few routes and he's not spectacular at any of them.
Originally posted by thl408:
The way I interpreted Mooney's comments (postgame at SEA), it seemed like pregame Kyle asked if Mooney was going to shadow Metcalf. When Mooney said 'no', Kyle said well he should. And that's how Mooney shadowed Metcalf the entire game.
If that's correct, then why isn't this known before the game - isn't Wilks outlining the gameplan so he and Kyle are on the same page, maybe a day before the game? Perhaps because it's short week? Still, it should be happening.

Odd indeed
  • All22
  • Veteran

He needs to shadow AJ Brown this week too. Every team's game plan is avoiding having him on their best WR and attacking our other corners.

Obsolete that game plan and we cruise to #6

wtf wilks!

actually i think kyle needs to be more hands-on and give inputs to Wilks compared to the past with more future headcoach types like demeco and robert saleh
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Ark49er:
The guy is a GREAT DC and I see why he is so highly respected by players around this league. Best defensive performance in years, especially doing it against that team in their place.

I have to say in spite of other issues, some not Wilks's fault (injuries and no one that can consistently man the slot until now possibly), we pick off the ball now better than we have in nearly 30 years. I think his influence is still growing as he blends what he does and what the team does. I can see him getting to bring in some defensive assistants next year, not as position coaches, but maybe Bullocks gets an assistant the way Kocurek has Tapp.

I think Wilks will definitely be here next year, but its clear the defense is playing far better now than they played in the 5 game win streak, which bodes well for us.

I assume the DBs wear those same sticky gloves that allow WRs to make all those one handed catches.
Originally posted by picklejuice:
wtf wilks!

actually i think kyle needs to be more hands-on and give inputs to Wilks compared to the past with more future headcoach types like demeco and robert saleh

We have never once shadowed WRs though under Salem or Demarco

I have no idea but he actually covered 3 different receivers last night. Shut them all down.

Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by picklejuice:
wtf wilks!

We have never once shadowed WRs though under Salem or Demarco

Yes we did. Did the same thing last season in week 15.
He's turned it around.

Keep it up and we'll be in the SB.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He's turned it around.

Eh. Seattle has a ton of talent on their defense but their offense is atrocious. They knew they'd be facing an attacking defense and yet their OC inexplicably kept calling these slow developing passing plays and constantly running out of shotgun despite having a weak interior OL, an 80 year old right tackle and a QB who has regressed back into the conservative, indecisive game manager he's always been.

Philly is going to be the true test if this team can make any real noise in the playoffs.
A lot more creative than prior. I saw him put bosa and chase inside on a play or two. Also a couple stunts. We looked rusty as hell running them l, like we never have practiced it before but at least he tried them.

The defense was stifling also.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He's turned it around.

Eh. Seattle has a ton of talent on their defense but their offense is atrocious. They knew they'd be facing an attacking defense and yet their OC inexplicably kept calling these slow developing passing plays and constantly running out of shotgun despite having a weak interior OL, an 80 year old right tackle and a QB who has regressed back into the conservative, indecisive game manager he's always been.

Philly is going to be the true test if this team can make any real noise in the playoffs.

their OC probably just read this board, figured they could run whatever on Wilks,
good job gang
Share 49ersWebzone