There are 289 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Ark49er:
The guy is a GREAT DC and I see why he is so highly respected by players around this league. Best defensive performance in years, especially doing it against that team in their place.

I have to say in spite of other issues, some not Wilks's fault (injuries and no one that can consistently man the slot until now possibly), we pick off the ball now better than we have in nearly 30 years. I think his influence is still growing as he blends what he does and what the team does. I can see him getting to bring in some defensive assistants next year, not as position coaches, but maybe Bullocks gets an assistant the way Kocurek has Tapp.

I think Wilks will definitely be here next year, but its clear the defense is playing far better now than they played in the 5 game win streak, which bodes well for us.

I assume the DBs wear those same sticky gloves that allow WRs to make all those one handed catches.

They have worn those sticky gloves for years. Even in 2019, we weren't this good in picking off the ball.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by picklejuice:
wtf wilks!

actually i think kyle needs to be more hands-on and give inputs to Wilks compared to the past with more future headcoach types like demeco and robert saleh

We have never once shadowed WRs though under Salem or Demarco
Ward traveled with DK in the TNF game last season.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Ward traveled with DK in the TNF game last season.

I forgot about that Ward shut him down then as well. Now Ward is in his head which is exactly what we want in two weeks.
Really looking like Wilks may actually be great with DBs. Obviously sitting Oliver has helped, but I don't think I've ever seen Ward play a game as good as last night. If they keep improving like this the Reid the way, we're in a great place.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Really looking like Wilks may actually be great with DBs. Obviously sitting Oliver has helped, but I don't think I've ever seen Ward play a game as good as last night. If they keep improving like this the Reid the way, we're in a great place.

Agree 💯%, and the structure of the team reminds me of the old Bill Walsh/George Siefert days. George being a long time defensive backs coach before joining Walsh at Stanford and then the 49ers. The defenses George built were some of the best pass defenses in the history of the 49ers.
Originally posted by thl408:
The way I interpreted Mooney's comments (postgame at SEA), it seemed like pregame Kyle asked if Mooney was going to shadow Metcalf. When Mooney said 'no', Kyle said well he should. And that's how Mooney shadowed Metcalf the entire game.
If that's correct, then why isn't this known before the game - isn't Wilks outlining the gameplan so he and Kyle are on the same page, maybe a day before the game? Perhaps because it's short week? Still, it should be happening.

@0:50 second mark

Can this possibly, in any way, be a good thing? It either sounds like they aren't on the same page as you said, or that Shanny is straightening out obvious flaws in the scheme. I don't like either of those, but the latter would indicate things are at least being fixed.

I wish I knew what all the staff talked about with Wilks during the bye, no way in hell it was just "move down to the sideline".
Originally posted by TyCore:
Originally posted by thl408:
The way I interpreted Mooney's comments (postgame at SEA), it seemed like pregame Kyle asked if Mooney was going to shadow Metcalf. When Mooney said 'no', Kyle said well he should. And that's how Mooney shadowed Metcalf the entire game.
If that's correct, then why isn't this known before the game - isn't Wilks outlining the gameplan so he and Kyle are on the same page, maybe a day before the game? Perhaps because it's short week? Still, it should be happening.

@0:50 second mark

Can this possibly, in any way, be a good thing? It either sounds like they aren't on the same page as you said, or that Shanny is straightening out obvious flaws in the scheme. I don't like either of those, but the latter would indicate things are at least being fixed.

I wish I knew what all the staff talked about with Wilks during the bye, no way in hell it was just "move down to the sideline".

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Ark49er:
The guy is a GREAT DC and I see why he is so highly respected by players around this league. Best defensive performance in years, especially doing it against that team in their place.

I have to say in spite of other issues, some not Wilks's fault (injuries and no one that can consistently man the slot until now possibly), we pick off the ball now better than we have in nearly 30 years. I think his influence is still growing as he blends what he does and what the team does. I can see him getting to bring in some defensive assistants next year, not as position coaches, but maybe Bullocks gets an assistant the way Kocurek has Tapp.

I think Wilks will definitely be here next year, but its clear the defense is playing far better now than they played in the 5 game win streak, which bodes well for us.

I assume the DBs wear those same sticky gloves that allow WRs to make all those one handed catches.

They have worn those sticky gloves for years. Even in 2019, we weren't this good in picking off the ball.

I know the gloves have been around for awhile now. I was just saying that if the WRs can make one handed grabs all the time the DBs should be able to make more picks. Those things are like flypaper except they don't leave any goo on your hands.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

I think it's pretty obvious shanny has taken the reins at least somewhat, as evidenced by the link from thl.
[ Edited by TyCore on Nov 25, 2023 at 11:47 AM ]

You are over exaggerating the issue we allowed more points last season as well allowing 28 points to falcons and 45 against the chiefs and last year was considered an elite unit

we only allowed 20+ points 3 times this season there wasn't that much to fix

I think it's pretty obvious shanny has taken the reins at least somewhat, as evidenced by the link from thl.

taken the reins somewhat lol, he's the Head Ball Coach
he took the reins in 2017

from Niner Nation:

Some may read into this and bring Steve Wilks into it, thinking he had a hand in the original plan or that his defensive gameplan was terrible so Shanahan got involved. The truth is Wilks called a great game with some perfectly timed blitzes and made life hell for Geno Smith all night. If it was Wilks who had the original idea for Ward to not cover Metcalf it's as simple as 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan being 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan. It'd be more concerning if Shanahan wasn't getting his fingerprints on the defensive gameplan, even in small adjustments.

It can seem a bit odd when the offensive-minded head coach is changing the defense, but it's not unusual. Watch any behind the scenes Tom Brady/New England documentary and you can see Bill Belichick, a defensive minded head coach, talking to quarterback Tom Brady about gameplans and even getting after him with certain offensive plays don't look the way he wants them to.

They had a plan, Shanahan made an adjustment, simple as that. And it turned out to be the right call.
Originally posted by ritz126:

You are over exaggerating the issue we allowed more points last season as well allowing 28 points to falcons and 45 against the chiefs and last year was considered an elite unit

we only allowed 20+ points 3 times this season there wasn't that much to fix

You're just parroting the ppg argument.

I'm happy, performance wise, we've pulled out of the tailspin during our 3 game slide.

The adjustments on D, especially getting different looks from the Dline, plus the acquisition of Chase Young, and sitting Oliver have worked masterfully and we completely staunched the Seagulls, which I couldn't be happier about.

However, I'm extrapolating from Ward's comments that there's more oversight on the defensive game plan. In my comment, I asked if it was a good thing because I don't know if that kind of thing is normal, and I'm assuming it maybe isn't based on what THL said--and he knows football much better than I.

That's what I'm commenting on. If you have input along those lines I'd love to hear it.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

I think the most impressive change is in Ambry Thomas. If he can turn into a viable starter that will be the biggest impact, which is in a sense what we wanted- Wilks's expertise to blend with our front 7 dominance.
You're just parroting the ppg argument.

I'm happy, performance wise, we've pulled out of the tailspin during our 3 game slide.

The adjustments on D, especially getting different looks from the Dline, plus the acquisition of Chase Young, and sitting Oliver have worked masterfully and we completely staunched the Seagulls, which I couldn't be happier about.

However, I'm extrapolating from Ward's comments that there's more oversight on the defensive game plan. In my comment, I asked if it was a good thing because I don't know if that kind of thing is normal, and I'm assuming it maybe isn't based on what THL said--and he knows football much better than I.

That's what I'm commenting on. If you have input along those lines I'd love to hear it.

We aren't doing different DL looks though it's the same as beginning of the year as it is now I agree with KS comments where the team looked tired and needed the break as we were going against fresh teams for 3 weeks pretty much

as for performance all our stats are the same as last year 3rd down conversion % YPG allowed PPG turnovers etc

So I am just confused why we're saying wilks needs to be fired and sucks compared to elite D last year despite the players still learning wilks system and style while we have almost the exact same stats as last year in every category

also it's very normal to have the HC have input on the gameplan but my question is why do we only shadow DK?
  • thl408

taken the reins somewhat lol, he's the Head Ball Coach
he took the reins in 2017

from Niner Nation:

Some may read into this and bring Steve Wilks into it, thinking he had a hand in the original plan or that his defensive gameplan was terrible so Shanahan got involved. The truth is Wilks called a great game with some perfectly timed blitzes and made life hell for Geno Smith all night. If it was Wilks who had the original idea for Ward to not cover Metcalf it's as simple as 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan being 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan. It'd be more concerning if Shanahan wasn't getting his fingerprints on the defensive gameplan, even in small adjustments.

It can seem a bit odd when the offensive-minded head coach is changing the defense, but it's not unusual. Watch any behind the scenes Tom Brady/New England documentary and you can see Bill Belichick, a defensive minded head coach, talking to quarterback Tom Brady about gameplans and even getting after him with certain offensive plays don't look the way he wants them to.

They had a plan, Shanahan made an adjustment, simple as that. And it turned out to be the right call.

That article you posted missed the point I was making in my original post about the topic. It's not relevant.
Share 49ersWebzone