There are 370 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Personally, I think defense is 85% talent and 15% scheme. The more talent you have on defense, the simpler you want your defensive scheme to be.

Agree.

You need talent on defense because they have to react while on offense you can scheme all you want because they are the ones with the ball in their hands.

Truthful because it's an offensive passing league now and you can barely even play what I call defense anymore.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Personally, I think defense is 85% talent and 15% scheme. The more talent you have on defense, the simpler you want your defensive scheme to be.

Agree.

You need talent on defense because they have to react while on offense you can scheme all you want because they are the ones with the ball in their hands.

Truthful because it's an offensive passing league now and you can barely even play what I call defense anymore.

You need them to be well-coached too. But that is mostly going to come before gametime. That is probably the key difference. Once the ball kicks off a DC is only going to be able to "accomplish" so much with his "scheme" if guys are only prepared so much.

But those that were quick to write the guy off in games 6 thru 8 perhaps don't necessarily see it that way.

How good is he? Give it time and we'll see. 1 game never means a coach is great or horrible.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Agree.

Yeah agree💯%, because of that you can hide certain weaknesses on offense. An undersized Dan Audick was able to play in the super bowl and win because of scheme. Can't do that on defense.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Agree.

Well not the kind of defenses that the five 49er super bowl winning defenses could play, for sure. Ronnie Lott would be ejected from every game he played this season, if that were the case. I think Kyle's defenses are well built for this passing league. Great DLine, good Linebackers, and soon - great DB's. Going to miss Wilks when he becomes head coach and looking forward to the compensatory draft capital he'll generate for the 49ers.
Originally posted by thl408:
The point of my post wasn't to highlight Kyle making changes to the gameplan. He's the head coach, he can change whatever he wants to, like any head coach should be doing. The point was to emphasize how Mooney said "before the game, Kyle said he wanted me to matchup with DK" (paraphrased). My question was what did Mooney mean by, "before the game"? Like, 3 hours before the game? That would be bad. If Mooney meant it was a day before the game, then sure that's all good.

What I am wondering is where is the communication between Kyle and Wilks where Kyle has to tell this to Mooney. What I envision the communication flow should be is, Kyle and Wilks have a gameplanning session a day(s) before gameday where Kyle hears out the plan and tweaks it during that session. Then Wilks carries out the order.

Maybe with it being a short week, schedule got compressed and some standard operating procedures got cut out.

if you look at the Packers Lions game, LaFleur texted Love the morning of the game and said he's scrapping the opening play (which was a big play). Love talked him out of it (good thing he did for GB). But coaches do this all the time, they are often making adjustments up to and during / after kickoff. Thinking and rethinking their strategies to give a best chance to win. Particularly as you mention on a compressed week
lets see what he brings the next few weeks.
Shoutout to Steve Wilks for developing and tutoring Ambry Thomas and raising the level of play from Charvarius Ward, who has never in his career looked and played better. Again proven that the "Leader of men" title is 100% accurate. Can't wait to see how much he can develop some of the other young guys like Brown, Luter Jr, and Womack.
Originally posted by Ark49er:
Shoutout to Steve Wilks for developing and tutoring Ambry Thomas and raising the level of play from Charvarius Ward, who has never in his career looked and played better. Again proven that the "Leader of men" title is 100% accurate. Can't wait to see how much he can develop some of the other young guys like Brown, Luter Jr, and Womack.

Ward warmed up against Metcalf. Now he gets a boss battle against AJ Brown
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

If Wilks can shut down or slow that potent eagle offense, I can almost guarantee Wilks will be a head coach in two years.
Originally posted by random49er:

Agree.

You need them to be well-coached too. But that is mostly going to come before gametime. That is probably the key difference. Once the ball kicks off a DC is only going to be able to "accomplish" so much with his "scheme" if guys are only prepared so much.

But those that were quick to write the guy off in games 6 thru 8 perhaps don't necessarily see it that way.

How good is he? Give it time and we'll see. 1 game never means a coach is great or horrible.

Well not the kind of defenses that the five 49er super bowl winning defenses could play, for sure. Ronnie Lott would be ejected from every game he played this season, if that were the case. I think Kyle's defenses are well built for this passing league. Great DLine, good Linebackers, and soon - great DB's. Going to miss Wilks when he becomes head coach and looking forward to the compensatory draft capital he'll generate for the 49ers.

Yes I think our defense is about as good as it can get in today's game.

I feel like the eagles game will show us who Wilks is. I hope he has some wicked tricks up his sleeve. The defense has to be 100% ready to go. If they can't stop the run we're done. And they better firggin have Warner spying hurts all game lol

The eagles are a very good team that's also been quite opportunistic and lucky at times this year. But you need that at times to win. I feel like their offense is waking up and improving, but I don't think their defense is as dominant as last season (still very very good).

I feel like the eagles game will show us who Wilks is. I hope he has some wicked tricks up his sleeve. The defense has to be 100% ready to go. If they can't stop the run we're done. And they better firggin have Warner spying hurts all game lol

The eagles are a very good team that's also been quite opportunistic and lucky at times this year. But you need that at times to win. I feel like their offense is waking up and improving, but I don't think their defense is as dominant as last season (still very very good).

they should review last season, if you notice last season, we were taken to school by the Philly RPO game, Warner was lost in space
so Ryans got more or less worked by PHI, now one can say the game got out of hand, fair enough, but plenty of plays we can view, where Warner has no clue where the ball is or how to defend, he was frozen by that RPO game,
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

they should review last season, if you notice last season, we were taken to school by the Philly RPO game, Warner was lost in space
so Ryans got more or less worked by PHI, now one can say the game got out of hand, fair enough, but plenty of plays we can view, where Warner has no clue where the ball is or how to defend, he was frozen by that RPO game,

True and for the love of god can out de's pay attention and not always crash down. The need to read and react

If Wilks can shut down or slow that potent eagle offense, I can almost guarantee Wilks will be a head coach in two years.
Sorry, all I heard was a free 3rd round in the draft.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Alfienator:

Sorry, all I heard was a free 3rd round in the draft.

Haha! That's the trick! Turn that 3rd round pick into several 5th rounders (the money round) or maybe a couple of 7th round QB picks!
Hypothetical:

Let's say the Jets fire Saleh in the next six weeks. After this season, would you hire him back and replace Wilks? Or stick with Wilks? Or would it depend on what happens in the playoffs?
Share 49ersWebzone