There are 464 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Hypothetical:

Let's say the Jets fire Saleh in the next six weeks. After this season, would you hire him back and replace Wilks? Or stick with Wilks? Or would it depend on what happens in the playoffs?

I think Wilks is at least as good as Saleh so no need.

Now Demeco I would have back any day. Just miss that dude.
Originally posted by Crown:
Hypothetical:

Let's say the Jets fire Saleh in the next six weeks. After this season, would you hire him back and replace Wilks? Or stick with Wilks? Or would it depend on what happens in the playoffs?

I think Saleh might be the best of this bunch, now he lost the QB lottery, the front office in both cases is taking the QBs, Ryans got a really good one, Saleh has had terrible luck at that spot, makes all the difference.. Wilks shafted also with Rosen
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Yes I think our defense is about as good as it can get in today's game.

I feel like the eagles game will show us who Wilks is. I hope he has some wicked tricks up his sleeve. The defense has to be 100% ready to go. If they can't stop the run we're done. And they better firggin have Warner spying hurts all game lol

The eagles are a very good team that's also been quite opportunistic and lucky at times this year. But you need that at times to win. I feel like their offense is waking up and improving, but I don't think their defense is as dominant as last season (still very very good).

I do not see our defense shutting them down, but that shouldn't be expected against a 10-1 team at their place that has everything you want in an offense to play any style of football ever invented. As soon as the Eagles get 17 points the very impatient and whining fan base will be back to calling for Wilks job yet again. I fully expect a game similar in points as to what the Bills vs Eagles had. If the weather was clear, this game has potential to even be 49ers at Saints from a few seasons ago where the last team with the ball wins in a shootout.

I think Coach Wilks is doing a great job of coaching this team, and yes there had to be some adjustments made but that is all apart of coaching. Imo if Wilks was strictly going by the film of the previous roster then that simply wouldn't tell you much. We had a lot of personnel changes with our defense that we really didn't replace and it shows up in run stopping and overall tackling. However, with the addition of Chase Young, changing out certain personnel, and coaching up other positions, our defense is currently playing as well as it has the previous few seasons.
Originally posted by Ark49er:

I feel like the eagles game will show us who Wilks is. I hope he has some wicked tricks up his sleeve. The defense has to be 100% ready to go. If they can't stop the run we're done. And they better firggin have Warner spying hurts all game lol

The eagles are a very good team that's also been quite opportunistic and lucky at times this year. But you need that at times to win. I feel like their offense is waking up and improving, but I don't think their defense is as dominant as last season (still very very good).

I do not see our defense shutting them down, but that shouldn't be expected against a 10-1 team at their place that has everything you want in an offense to play any style of football ever invented. As soon as the Eagles get 17 points the very impatient and whining fan base will be back to calling for Wilks job yet again. I fully expect a game similar in points as to what the Bills vs Eagles had. If the weather was clear, this game has potential to even be 49ers at Saints from a few seasons ago where the last team with the ball wins in a shootout.

I think Coach Wilks is doing a great job of coaching this team, and yes there had to be some adjustments made but that is all apart of coaching. Imo if Wilks was strictly going by the film of the previous roster then that simply wouldn't tell you much. We had a lot of personnel changes with our defense that we really didn't replace and it shows up in run stopping and overall tackling. However, with the addition of Chase Young, changing out certain personnel, and coaching up other positions, our defense is currently playing as well as it has the previous few seasons.

all about when they do move the ball, keep em out of the painted area
which means, keep em outside of the 2 yd line, they are automatic in Philly push range
sacks, getting him behind schedule, winning on 3rd down are key
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

all about when they do move the ball, keep em out of the painted area
which means, keep em outside of the 2 yd line, they are automatic in Philly push range
sacks, getting him behind schedule, winning on 3rd down are key

Actually winning on 1st and 2nd down is the key to stopping the Brotherly Shove. If it's 3rd and 4 and they pick up 2 or 3 yards, then we will see the most unstoppable play in NFL history. It's a cheat mode like playing with Bo Jackson or Lawrence Taylor in Tecmo Bowl. It cannot be stopped. Philly knows this so unlike most teams that face 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4, they don't have to come up with anything special to call to pick up the yardage. They can simply just do a basic run to pick up a couple of yards then line up in that shove formation.
Actually winning on 1st and 2nd down is the key to stopping the Brotherly Shove. If it's 3rd and 4 and they pick up 2 or 3 yards, then we will see the most unstoppable play in NFL history. It's a cheat mode like playing with Bo Jackson or Lawrence Taylor in Tecmo Bowl. It cannot be stopped. Philly knows this so unlike most teams that face 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4, they don't have to come up with anything special to call to pick up the yardage. They can simply just do a basic run to pick up a couple of yards then line up in that shove formation.

Yup, I posted the trick on the shove earlier, you have to shove back
if you watch BUF, they had contain defenders holding an edge, not doing anything, watching the shove
they are hedging against some shove counter, gotta go all in with your 11
so they need to be shoving, if the entire O is shoving
you don't need to win as a D on that play, just need to tie, that goes to the D, no gain
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Hypothetical:

I think Saleh might be the best of this bunch, now he lost the QB lottery, the front office in both cases is taking the QBs, Ryans got a really good one, Saleh has had terrible luck at that spot, makes all the difference.. Wilks shafted also with Rosen

Definitely don't think Saleh deserves to be fired. Not much to work with.
Hypothetical:

lol..

JIMMY H will be pickin between..

La La Land
Sin City
The Big Apple I
The Big Apple II
Nation's Capital
Chi Town

Who Landing Jimbo ??
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9moon:
Hypothetical:

lol..

La La Land
Sin City
The Big Apple I
The Big Apple II
Nation's Capital
Chi Town

Who Landing Jimbo ??

CHI without a doubt.

Maybe the wrong thread for this, but I wonder if Saleh would accept some type of assistant HC/LB coach position to regain his footing after the Jets. Or maybe that would put too big a target on Wilks, another 3 game losing streak like this year the calls for his head would be much louder with someone like Saleh in the wings.

But would be good to have some insurance, as I've already seen Wilks on some future-HC lists.

Hypothetical:

lol..

La La Land
Sin City
The Big Apple I
The Big Apple II
Nation's Capital
Chi Town

Who Landing Jimbo ??

CHI without a doubt.
Not sure chi wants that headache
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Hypothetical:

lol..

La La Land
Sin City
The Big Apple I
The Big Apple II
Nation's Capital
Chi Town

Who Landing Jimbo ??

CHI without a doubt.
Not sure chi wants that headache

haha fair.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Digger:

Maybe the wrong thread for this, but I wonder if Saleh would accept some type of assistant HC/LB coach position to regain his footing after the Jets. Or maybe that would put too big a target on Wilks, another 3 game losing streak like this year the calls for his head would be much louder with someone like Saleh in the wings.

But would be good to have some insurance, as I've already seen Wilks on some future-HC lists.

Interesting take. possibly.

Wilks may get some bites in the off season - could be quite a few openings.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Hypothetical:

Just my opinion, but Saleh never could fix the Defensive Back situation the way Wilks may have (we shall see). So based on that, I'd rather stick with Wilks. In pass defense, the DB's and the DLine are more important than the linebackers, and I'd rather have a defensive back minded DC than a linebacker minded DC in this pass happy NFL decade.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Just my opinion, but Saleh never could fix the Defensive Back situation the way Wilks may have (we shall see). So based on that, I'd rather stick with Wilks. In pass defense, the DB's and the DLine are more important than the linebackers, and I'd rather have a defensive back minded DC than a linebacker minded DC in this pass happy NFL decade.

Yup, Wilks > Saleh
Share 49ersWebzone