Report: 49ers WR Brandon Aiyuk suffered torn ACL and MCL, possibly other damage →

There are 330 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Saleh is a superior defensive coach to Wilks IMO. His track record dwarfs Wilks too. He became a really good play caller and I specifically liked how we seemed to do so much better in short yardage situations. If he had a quarterback, that team would be a Super Bowl contender in New York. What he was able to get done here with lesser talent early on, I am honestly astonished that some fans have so easily forgotten.

Wilks has done well recently, yes, but I need to see him sustain success. I haven't forgotten about the questionable play calling for a month long stretch, or hand picking Isaiah Oliver who he had to bench. I can't really give him credit for moving to the field because that was Kyle's decision, not his.

Overall, he's been more good than bad this year and he's doing a good job, I'm not going to take that away from him. Just saying if we're making a comparison, I would take Saleh 100/100 times over Wilks.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 27, 2023 at 9:07 PM ]
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
We'll see what Wilks is made of this week. Beating up on Trevor, Baker, and Geno doesn't exactly make you all world. Let's see how he defend a mobile QB…
Originally posted by DrEll:
We'll see what Wilks is made of this week. Beating up on Trevor, Baker, and Geno doesn't exactly make you all world. Let's see how he defend a mobile QB…

Maybe just maybe he will pull a rabbit out of his ass and surprisingly stop the Hurts train in its tracks
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erKing:

Maybe just maybe he will pull a rabbit out of his ass and surprisingly stop the Hurts train in its tracks

I hope so. I want a beat down similar to the one we dished out to Dallas in week 5.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Saleh is a superior defensive coach to Wilks IMO. His track record dwarfs Wilks too. He became a really good play caller and I specifically liked how we seemed to do so much better in short yardage situations. If he had a quarterback, that team would be a Super Bowl contender in New York. What he was able to get done here with lesser talent early on, I am honestly astonished that some fans have so easily forgotten.

Wilks has done well recently, yes, but I need to see him sustain success. I haven't forgotten about the questionable play calling for a month long stretch, or hand picking Isaiah Oliver who he had to bench. I can't really give him credit for moving to the field because that was Kyle's decision, not his.

Overall, he's been more good than bad this year and he's doing a good job, I'm not going to take that away from him. Just saying if we're making a comparison, I would take Saleh 100/100 times over Wilks.

This the best our DB has looked in ages with really the same pieces. Also as for playcalling the only questionable one really was the one play at the end of the half against the Vikings overall this D is dominant.

We have allowed 16 TD and are on pace to allow 25 TD in the season last season we gave up 31 TD of the season. I think the 1 Bengals game is clouding a lot of people's judgment on this D
[ Edited by ritz126 on Nov 28, 2023 at 7:22 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ritz126:

This the best our DB has looked in ages with really the same pieces. Also as for playcalling the only questionable one really was the one play at the end of the half against the Vikings overall this D is dominant.

We have allowed 16 TD and are on pace to allow 25 TD in the season last season we gave up 31 TD of the season. I think the 1 Bengals game is clouding a lot of people's judgment on this D

Agree DBs have always been a weak spot - strategically - for this team. They load up on the DLine and draft 3rd rounders for the DB side. Having a DB coach that can be a Bob McKittrick/scarneccia for the DBs is vital - to coach up 3rd rounders to play like first rounders. I like Saleh, good coach, but I'm still stung by his comment that pressures are better than sacks. For me, I'm sticking with Wilks. Hope he can shut down that eagle offense, they are formidable.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

No doubt but this is a good come back team. I'm not gonna be mad if Wilks doesn't call a great game, 10 other DC's didn't either.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erKing:

I hope so. I want a beat down similar to the one we dished out to Dallas in week 5.

If that happens......

I think Wilks has done a nice job with Ambry, but Hufanga was having a poor year based on what he's capable of. Ward is playing just as well as he was last year, so I don't notice much difference there. And Oliver was horrific. So IDK. I give him credit for the work with Ambry and looking at Demo inside, but I can't say much about the rest.

Robert Saleh had us as the 13th ranked defense in 2018 when we had:
-A rookie Fred Warner
-#2/3 LBs Ruben Foster and Elijah Lee
-Adrian Colbert, Antone Exum & Marcell Harris at safety the majority of the year
-Ahkello Witherspoon as one of our starting CBs
-Solomon Thomas & Cassius Marsh at DE

AA, Buckner, Sherman were good players for us then, but couldn't do it all. Jimmie Ward was hurt as usual and only played 7 games.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 28, 2023 at 8:12 AM ]

Agreed.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Agreed.

Saleh shut out the Eagles in the second half, can Wilks do the same?? I'm gonna say no.
I think Wilks has done a nice job with Ambry, but Hufanga was having a poor year based on what he's capable of. Ward is playing just as well as he was last year, so I don't notice much difference there. And Oliver was horrific. So IDK. I give him credit for the work with Ambry and looking at Demo inside, but I can't say much about the rest.

-A rookie Fred Warner
-Adrian Colbert, Antone Exum & Marcell Harris at safety the majority of the year

AA, Buckner, Sherman were good players for us then, but couldn't do it all. Jimmie Ward was hurt as usual and only played 7 games.

I dont know we lead the league in interceptions i cant remember that happening in recent memory. Also i dont have the stats but i think we also lead the league in lowest amount of big plays allowed - we did at one point early in season but havent seen an update on this

-A rookie Fred Warner

I dont know we lead the league in interceptions i cant remember that happening in recent memory. Also i dont have the stats but i think we also lead the league in lowest amount of big plays allowed - we did at one point early in season but havent seen an update on this

We also led the league in interceptions last year too, so I mean, not to take away anything from Wilks -- he's doing well with this talent. But I do think it's kind of expected that we would put up those kind of numbers with this stacked D. We have played most of the year with two Pro Bowl safeties, a top flight CB, the best LB tandem in the NFL, one of the top DT tandems in the NFL, and now with Bosa and Young, arguably the best DE tandem in the NFL.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 28, 2023 at 8:41 AM ]
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Agreed.

Saleh drove most of us nuts with his lack of killer instinct play calling and bend don't break. Demeco was an upgrade with how he mixed it up.
I'm hoping with Wilks it's just been personnel adjustments/injuries (Oliver,Thomas, Lenoir) and one bad play call that got him in the dog house temporarily. I think he wants to be a HC so I expect the best from him to close out the season.
We also led the league in interceptions last year too, so I mean, not to take away anything from Wilks -- he's doing well with this talent. But I do think it's kind of expected that we would put up those kind of numbers with this stacked D. We have played most of the year with two Pro Bowl safeties, a top flight CB, the best LB tandem in the NFL, one of the top DT tandems in the NFL, and now with Bosa and Young, arguably the best DE tandem in the NFL.

You lost me at 2 PB safeties, maybe you refer to last year, we aren't sending any safeties to the PB this year, I don't think.
Also we can say the same about the O, best LT, best FB, best RB, best WB, best TE in club history, and on it goes..
yet notice the O with 17 a game during the L streak took no real heat, Wilks did.

with the talent on both sides, it's gonna be a SB victory or bust
D so far living up to expectations, #1 in points, we make most everything teams want to do against us difficult
Share 49ersWebzone