Tests confirm 49ers WR Brandon Aiyuk suffered season-ending knee injury →

There are 385 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by DrEll:
We'll see what Wilks is made of this week. Beating up on Trevor, Baker, and Geno doesn't exactly make you all world. Let's see how he defend a mobile QB…

No doubt but this is a good come back team. I'm not gonna be mad if Wilks doesn't call a great game, 10 other DC's didn't either.

I completely understand your reasoning, but how many coaches get a roster like this. This is the time to shine and strike fear into every other f'in team in the league. They should be out there like demons on Sunday.
watching a vid the owner of the Panthers on the firing of his HC
struck by one of the top comments from a Panther fan, he says, not keeping Wilks was the mistake
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
struck by one of the top comments from a Panther fan, he says, not keeping Wilks was the mistake
Yup they should have kept Wilks
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

amen friend, their loss is our gain
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Saleh is a superior defensive coach to Wilks IMO. His track record dwarfs Wilks too. He became a really good play caller and I specifically liked how we seemed to do so much better in short yardage situations. If he had a quarterback, that team would be a Super Bowl contender in New York. What he was able to get done here with lesser talent early on, I am honestly astonished that some fans have so easily forgotten.

Wilks has done well recently, yes, but I need to see him sustain success. I haven't forgotten about the questionable play calling for a month long stretch, or hand picking Isaiah Oliver who he had to bench. I can't really give him credit for moving to the field because that was Kyle's decision, not his.

Overall, he's been more good than bad this year and he's doing a good job, I'm not going to take that away from him. Just saying if we're making a comparison, I would take Saleh 100/100 times over Wilks.

Agreed.

Saleh shut out the Eagles in the second half, can Wilks do the same?? I'm gonna say no.

Agree, the Eagles and the Baltimore game will be the tale of the tape with regards to Wilks. Those two games will tell me exactly what we have as a DC in Wilks. I think he'll come out of both games smelling like roses (I hope).
Originally posted by Giedi:
Saleh is a superior defensive coach to Wilks IMO. His track record dwarfs Wilks too. He became a really good play caller and I specifically liked how we seemed to do so much better in short yardage situations. If he had a quarterback, that team would be a Super Bowl contender in New York. What he was able to get done here with lesser talent early on, I am honestly astonished that some fans have so easily forgotten.

Wilks has done well recently, yes, but I need to see him sustain success. I haven't forgotten about the questionable play calling for a month long stretch, or hand picking Isaiah Oliver who he had to bench. I can't really give him credit for moving to the field because that was Kyle's decision, not his.

Overall, he's been more good than bad this year and he's doing a good job, I'm not going to take that away from him. Just saying if we're making a comparison, I would take Saleh 100/100 times over Wilks.

Agreed.

Saleh shut out the Eagles in the second half, can Wilks do the same?? I'm gonna say no.

Agree, the Eagles and the Baltimore game will be the tale of the tape with regards to Wilks. Those two games will tell me exactly what we have as a DC in Wilks. I think he'll come out of both games smelling like roses (I hope).

SF - 15
PHI - 2
SF - 17
BAL - 14
Originally posted by 9moon:

Agreed.

SF - 15
PHI - 2
SF - 17
BAL - 14

At least Brock takes the safety instead of the pick 6 against Philly.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

You know one of the best things I've seen from Wilks this season wasn't his play calling or adjustments he's made in the second half. No, it was seeing Ambry Thomas telling Wilks "I got you, I got you" after he made that fumble recovery in the Jaguars game. That right there tells me the players got Wilks' back no matter that three game skid they were on. I loved seeing that.

Slash's defense did not shutout at the time a 9-7 Eagles team in the 2nd half. It was Nick Sirianni 1st season as head coach and Jalen Hurts 1st full season as a starter. A lot has changed since then with the Eagles organization as they have gone quickly from rebuild to best team in the NFC in Sirianni 3rd season. He is a great head football coach without a doubt, the best in the NFC.

Back to Wilks, he has done a tremendous job and why people refuse to admit what the clear stats and results point out deserves a "shame on them." I don't know if his defense came keep up the pace throughout the rest of the season, but he is engineering one of the best statistical seasons in franchise history so far. I went back as far as the 2000 season so far, but the numbers are impressive. Throw in what the league has become with these hard to stop offenses and rules, Wilks is doing amazing, as well as anyone could possibly do.

Again if his defense finishes at this pace or just close enough to it, he should easily win the Defensive coach of the year.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ark49er:

Slash's defense did not shutout at the time a 9-7 Eagles team in the 2nd half. It was Nick Sirianni 1st season as head coach and Jalen Hurts 1st full season as a starter. A lot has changed since then with the Eagles organization as they have gone quickly from rebuild to best team in the NFC in Sirianni 3rd season. He is a great head football coach without a doubt, the best in the NFC.

Back to Wilks, he has done a tremendous job and why people refuse to admit what the clear stats and results point out deserves a "shame on them." I don't know if his defense came keep up the pace throughout the rest of the season, but he is engineering one of the best statistical seasons in franchise history so far. I went back as far as the 2000 season so far, but the numbers are impressive. Throw in what the league has become with these hard to stop offenses and rules, Wilks is doing amazing, as well as anyone could possibly do.

Again if his defense finishes at this pace or just close enough to it, he should easily win the Defensive coach of the year.

I'm talking about Saleh and his Jets bro. Ya dig.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:

Agreed.

SF - 15
PHI - 2
SF - 17
BAL - 14

Niner Moon, I'll take those W's

• Giedi
  • Veteran

You know one of the best things I've seen from Wilks this season wasn't his play calling or adjustments he's made in the second half. No, it was seeing Ambry Thomas telling Wilks "I got you, I got you" after he made that fumble recovery in the Jaguars game. That right there tells me the players got Wilks' back no matter that three game skid they were on. I loved seeing that.

That was my hope as well, that the Db's will improve because a defensive back oriented coordinator was going to develop them. Looking forward to seeing Wilk's ability to spot talent - hopefully Luter and Jaiyr and Beal pan out.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

That was my hope as well, that the Db's will improve because a defensive back oriented coordinator was going to develop them. Looking forward to seeing Wilk's ability to spot talent - hopefully Luter and Jaiyr and Beal pan out.

Speaking of Beal, that dude is just as fast as Micah Parsons of the LOS. I forgot what this guy was like in college and had to go back and watch highlights. If he can pickup where he left off im college the 49ers have a real gem here!!!
I'm talking about Saleh and his Jets bro. Ya dig.

That Jets game doesn't have any relevance to this upcoming game with 49ers vs Eagles. I mean that's makes no sense to compare scores, game results, or whatever. The Eagles loss to a Zack Wilson led offense should which pretty much indicates it was "just one of those games" for Philly. Every good team has them in all sports where the outcome was unexpected and unexplainable. Basically 🤔
  • All22
  • Veteran

Maybe they'll hire him this offseason
Share 49ersWebzone