There are 271 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
watching a vid the owner of the Panthers on the firing of his HC
struck by one of the top comments from a Panther fan, he says, not keeping Wilks was the mistake
Yup they should have kept Wilks

Maybe they'll hire him this offseason

i think that ship has sailed,
team played hard for him tho, it was a firesaled squad, and they went 6-6. This is after they dumped their QB1 and CMC.
we see now the cupboard was pretty bare, even with a #1 overall pick added
Love this situation for Wills. Gets a chance to gameplan bs an opponent we're almost certain to see in the playoffs, so this will be a nice little sneak peak at what to expect come January, AND he can use everything about this game again in the playoffs. If something didn't work, throw it out, keep what does.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Love this situation for Wills. Gets a chance to gameplan bs an opponent we're almost certain to see in the playoffs, so this will be a nice little sneak peak at what to expect come January, AND he can use everything about this game again in the playoffs. If something didn't work, throw it out, keep what does.

Agreed.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

Agreed.

Same, Agree also, and I'll just add that the experience, win or lose for the young guys (Jaiyer and Luter for example) will be valuable once the 49ers get into the playoffs. The more experience these young players get, if they are truly talented, will show up sooner or later, and hopefully in the playoffs.
Is it concerning that the decision for Ward to shadow Metcalf was made by John Lynch who shared his thoughts with Shanny who then had it implemented when he saw that it wasn't in the gameplan? Maybe we would have limited them to one fg or a shutout if we went with Wilks' original strategy.
[ Edited by 49erKing on Dec 2, 2023 at 7:47 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erKing:
Is it concerning that the decision for Ward to shadow Metcalf was made by John Lynch who shared his thoughts with Shanny who then had it implemented when he saw that it wasn't in the gameplan? Maybe we would have limited them to one fg or a shutout if we went with Wilks' original strategy.

Lynch is Starlord when Wilks turns in his final gameplan
struck by one of the top comments from a Panther fan, he says, not keeping Wilks was the mistake

team played hard for him tho, it was a firesaled squad, and they went 6-6. This is after they dumped their QB1 and CMC.
I think Steve Wilks will be the defensive coordinator of the 49ers for a long time. Former black head football coaches don't usually get a second chance, especially one who is a little bit older. I'm not saying it's 100% impossible but historically the odds are against him..

Depending on how his defense finishes, but he has them set up the be one of the top 2 or 3 greatest defenses in franchise history. Especially impressive in the pass happy generation with the offense having the rules advantage.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ark49er:

I think Steve Wilks will be the defensive coordinator of the 49ers for a long time. Former black head football coaches don't usually get a second chance, especially one who is a little bit older. I'm not saying it's 100% impossible but historically the odds are against him..

Depending on how his defense finishes, but he has them set up the be one of the top 2 or 3 greatest defenses in franchise history. Especially impressive in the pass happy generation with the offense having the rules advantage.

I think Wilk's has a *GREAT* chance to be a head coach again. Saleh, Demeco, and McDaniels (to name a few of the coaches affiliated with Kyle) are doing great as HC's. I'm not even going to mention Lefleur and McVay either.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Ark49er:

I think Wilk's has a *GREAT* chance to be a head coach again. Saleh, Demeco, and McDaniels (to name a few of the coaches affiliated with Kyle) are doing great as HC's. I'm not even going to mention Lefleur and McVay either.

Indeed. The Kyle tree is pretty ripe.
This is the DC's chance to shine. If Wilks comes out with a defensive alignment that grounds the Eagles, his HC Stock will go through the roof!

Originally posted by Giedi:

Saleh? About to get canned. Dead man walking. The Jets have given up on Saleh.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erKing:

That entire narrative seems made up to me.

Don't believe half the BS that youtubers and tweets try to embellish.
He's not exactly a young up-and-comer, but I'd like to see Johnny Holland's responsibilities continue to increase. This Brock quote in Kawakami's Athletic article this week was interesting to me:

"Doing the no-look throws and throwing on the run and stuff like that, sort of just working on stuff and trying it out on scout team," Purdy told me Thursday about those sessions last year. "I think when I was making those kind of throws, guys were sort of, 'Oh shoot!' (Linebackers) Coach Johnny Holland would come up to me, like, 'Hey, you're doing a great job. On film, we can see your eyes moving and then you're throwing into tight windows and over guys.'

LB coach spotting QB talent on the scout team and coaching 'em up? That's HC, responsible for the full team sort of stuff.
What a game by the whole team. Defensively I felt like Wilks had a good plan. We basically shut down the design runs and forced Hurts to beat us dropping back in the pocket. Tackling wasn't great, but Wilks did put the defenders in position to tackled. 3rd down wasn't very good, but overall, you aren't going to shut down their whole offense completely. The defense has done a very very good job today.
[ Edited by libertyforever on Dec 3, 2023 at 4:31 PM ]
OK don't go hiding now. How many of you all have the guts to come in here and apologize to Coach Steve Wilks? Come on and swallow our pride and admit you all were wrong. I told you that he is the best DC the 49ers have had under Kyle Shanahan and it is not even close. All the stats this out, and against the two best teams in the NFC, his defense has dominated. Especially impressive today against the former 10-1 best team in the NFL their place and them playing with more intensity in a game then they have all season long.

Bring your asses in here! The board is open

Swallowing pride means:to decide to do something although it will make you feel embarrassed or ashamed
Share 49ersWebzone