There are 255 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Hats off to Wilks. Out-coached the eagles
Originally posted by miked1978:

He kept the Eagles to 6 pts in that disastrous first quarter. That was huge.
Originally posted by CardinalGold:
I wonder how much of the sudden rise of Ambry Thomas, a fourth year player who didn't show much for three years, is due to Wilks.

Our last 2 DCs were LB gurus and this one is a DB guru. And when we took Dre Greenlaw and Fred Warner in the draft,...we had those LB gurus here. I guess it's not surprising to be set at that position,...nor should it be surprising to see what's going on in the 2ndary as the season evolves.

I mean I think Kyle's playing chess while everyone else is left behind playing with checkers regarding hires.

He's purposely putting in guys that he knows can pull some strings and get some results out of the area of a defense that can have the most variation (i.e.,..in coverage).

And we didn't see the fruits of his labor early this season but we've certainly been seeing them the last few weeks in the 2ndary,...and this is even with our Pro Bowl safety out for the season.

So just seeing the growth we're currently seeing when the pass rush doesn't get there,...I'd certainly give Wilks and Kyle the credit @ this point.
[ Edited by random49er on Dec 3, 2023 at 6:57 PM ]
Hats off,

ps Thomas cant give up 15 that easily
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Could this game be Wilks' defensive blueprint against mobile QBs?
[ Edited by Koldo on Dec 4, 2023 at 1:30 AM ]
Originally posted by Koldo:
Could this game be Wilks' defensive footprint against mobile QBs?

Yep
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
For what it's worth, the DBs are clearly improved this year
Originally posted by Crown:

Ambry Thomas stepping up and allowing Lenoir to move to the slot has revitalized the back end.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by miked1978:

He kept the Eagles to 6 pts in that disastrous first quarter. That was huge.

Excellent call!
Alright, I see you, my guy. Well done, Steve. Even without Greenlaw half the game we did well.

Originally posted by Crown:

Jimmie Ward was a very good nickel. But yes Lenoir improved from last season.

I am concerned with the safety depth. Oliver was in for Gipson at safety for a play or two. Also, I am not sure about Ji'Ayir.
Throw tomatoes at me. But the constant third and forever conversions are concerning still.

3rd and 11? no problem.

3rd and 19? no problem.

He's definitely adapted, gotten better, and the secondary got so many coverage sacks/throwaways today, so this is not to disparage wilks. but they still need to get one more of those 3rd and long stops.
Stay on the sideline for ever. Good job my Wilks!
Has been super Impressive these past few weeks.
Hugely impressive by Wilks. He has the corners playing wonderfully and we look disciplined vs a mobile QB.
Share 49ersWebzone