There are 300 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Good thing they didn't fire him!
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Wilks agreeing to come down was his best play call to date
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Throw tomatoes at me. But the constant third and forever conversions are concerning still.

3rd and 11? no problem.

3rd and 19? no problem.

He's definitely adapted, gotten better, and the secondary got so many coverage sacks/throwaways today, so this is not to disparage wilks. but they still need to get one more of those 3rd and long stops.

More poor tackling. Definitely need to tighten that up.

he was never going to get fired the only 1 bad game was the bengals
Originally posted by BrockIsHim:
Throw tomatoes at me. But the constant third and forever conversions are concerning still.

3rd and 11? no problem.

3rd and 19? no problem.

He's definitely adapted, gotten better, and the secondary got so many coverage sacks/throwaways today, so this is not to disparage wilks. but they still need to get one more of those 3rd and long stops.

lowest misssed tackles in league apart from dallas
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/opp.htm#all_advanced_defense
I think he'll be here next year, and will really have a higher comfort level with the players. Next year we'll have a HISTORIC defense and then he'll get a HC gig, we'll get a 3rd rounder.
Originally posted by ritz126:

Way more than one bad game
Originally posted by DaleGribble:

Yeah right! His team has only allowed 1 opponent(Bengals) to score 25 points or more in a game so far this season. Robert Saleh's great 2019 defense(they were good) allowed 7 such games total. Right now, only the 2011 defense put up better numbers than the 2023 defense so far since the year 2000.
[ Edited by Ark49er on Dec 3, 2023 at 8:54 PM ]

We have 6 games where we allowed the D to score less than 14 points we have 1 game where they scored more than 24 points

yes this D has been dominant for pretty much the entire season outside 1 game
I was a big fan when we hired him. I liked the idea of a guy who has a track record of getting the most out of secondary guys. I also liked the idea of Kyle finally having a veteran DC with head coach experience to lean on.

first half of the season he frustrated the hell out of me, but now it seems like everything is geling (as you'd ideally want it to). His communication seems much better, which makes sense because he's used to having his own staff when he's in the booth but none of these guys were his picks - he's adapted well on the sideline and has done a great job since the bye.

I also love what I'm seeing from our secondary. It feels like the first time in a long time that the secondary is winning by playing great coverage - not just because the d line is so good and rushing the qb. Ward is playing out of his mind. demo is doing great at nickel. Ambry is really coming into his own. I think it's telling that brown has done such an impressive job already. He's almost made me forget about huff (I mean that as a compliment to brown and not a diss on huff - I love huff and hope he has a full recovery).

I also like how disciplined our d line has been on covering mobile QBs this year. Hasn't been perfect but much improved, especially as the season has gone on.

We have 6 games where we allowed the D to score less than 14 points we have 1 game where they scored more than 24 points

yes this D has been dominant for pretty much the entire season outside 1 game

Obviously points are the most important and the team has done a great job overall in that regard, but the first
half of the season the D was bad on third downs. Really bad - they kept letting offenses like the rams/browns etc have extremely long drives cause they couldn't get off the field. They held when it mattered, but it impacted how the offense could help us and limited how many possession we had.

they look great since the bye but there were a lot of issues in the first half. Which should be partially expected if a new coach - only reason none of us had any patience was cause this D was 1 last year too. Or at least top 3.
Originally posted by tankle104:
I was a big fan when we hired him. I liked the idea of a guy who has a track record of getting the most out of secondary guys. I also liked the idea of Kyle finally having a veteran DC with head coach experience to lean on.

first half of the season he frustrated the hell out of me, but now it seems like everything is geling (as you'd ideally want it to). His communication seems much better, which makes sense because he's used to having his own staff when he's in the booth but none of these guys were his picks - he's adapted well on the sideline and has done a great job since the bye.

I also love what I'm seeing from our secondary. It feels like the first time in a long time that the secondary is winning by playing great coverage - not just because the d line is so good and rushing the qb. Ward is playing out of his mind. demo is doing great at nickel. Ambry is really coming into his own. I think it's telling that brown has done such an impressive job already. He's almost made me forget about huff (I mean that as a compliment to brown and not a diss on huff - I love huff and hope he has a full recovery).

I also like how disciplined our d line has been on covering mobile QBs this year. Hasn't been perfect but much improved, especially as the season has gone on.

Originally posted by BrockIsHim:

3rd and 11? no problem.

3rd and 19? no problem.

lowest misssed tackles in league apart from dallas
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/opp.htm#all_advanced_defense

they literally converted that 3rd and 19th because of a missed tackle. Forgot who it was, but he hit him and bounced off.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by tankle104:

I'm talking about as the years gone on. We have had a lot of improvements in everytbing important as the year has went on. We did a great job on hurts. If you watch the way we tried to contain him and the angles the d line took - it mitigated what a lot of those plays could of been.

it's hard as hell to stop a guy like hurts from running around. I think they did a really good job.
Steve Wilks is better much and improve for defensive coordinator calls plays right now.. Your work hard and process is develop well. Good job...
Share 49ersWebzone