There are 248 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
they literally converted that 3rd and 19th because of a missed tackle. Forgot who it was, but he hit him and bounced off.

That was Brown the rookie safety
Future HC giving us two third round compensatory picks??
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:

Absolutely Agree.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Another great game by Wilks, he adjusted and kept his cool.
I think the biggest change post-bye is that (1) the defensive line is playing with much more discipline, and (2) our cornerbacks are really doing a fantastic job of contesting catches. (Can't win every ball, but CB's are really making it tough on opposing WR's)

Today was a perfect example of that. Felt like we did a great job of containing Jalen Hurts. And our DB's had what... 11 pass break-ups? Not sure what the average team PBU stat is, but 11 seems like a lot.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
I think the biggest change post-bye is that (1) the defensive line is playing with much more discipline, and (2) our cornerbacks are really doing a fantastic job of contesting catches. (Can't win every ball, but CB's are really making it tough on opposing WR's)

Today was a perfect example of that. Felt like we did a great job of containing Jalen Hurts. And our DB's had what... 11 pass break-ups? Not sure what the average team PBU stat is, but 11 seems like a lot.

I still dislike this DC

but

Got to give credit were credit is due. I am sure we circled the Dallas game, and the Philly game on the calendar this off season, both games the defense was very functional.

While I am at it....I was anti low-shoulder coverage too....but it is proving out that we are getting more from less in the secondary.....
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:

Absolutely Agree.

He has to be our DC for another year in order for that to happen I think
Originally posted by Wubbie:

there was a postgame interview i forgot who but that was the plan going in was to contain Hurts which is why the pass rush probably wasn't as strong they wanted to prevent him from running and trusted the secondary
You can tell he is an amazing secondary coach this is the same secondary essentially as last few years and its gotten so much better this is the best the secondary has played in a long time
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by BrockIsHim:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Throw tomatoes at me. But the constant third and forever conversions are concerning still.

3rd and 11? no problem.

3rd and 19? no problem.

He's definitely adapted, gotten better, and the secondary got so many coverage sacks/throwaways today, so this is not to disparage wilks. but they still need to get one more of those 3rd and long stops.

More poor tackling. Definitely need to tighten that up.

lowest misssed tackles in league apart from dallas
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/opp.htm#all_advanced_defense

they literally converted that 3rd and 19th because of a missed tackle. Forgot who it was, but he hit him and bounced off.

i know i saw the game that doesn't take away from he fact we have the 2nd fewest missed tackles in the NFL which would indicate it isn't a problem it just means we arent perfect
[ Edited by ritz126 on Dec 4, 2023 at 5:22 AM ]

Throw tomatoes at me. But the constant third and forever conversions are concerning still.

3rd and 11? no problem.

3rd and 19? no problem.

He's definitely adapted, gotten better, and the secondary got so many coverage sacks/throwaways today, so this is not to disparage wilks. but they still need to get one more of those 3rd and long stops.

i know i saw the game that doesn't take away from he fact we have the 2nd fewest missed tackles in the NFL which would indicate it isn't a problem it just means we arent perfect

Need to nip in the bud before it becomes a problem. Part of the reason we were in that losing streak. We can mask a lot of these when we blow teams out, but they'll resurface in a big way in close games.

3rd and 11? no problem.

3rd and 19? no problem.

Need to nip in the bud before it becomes a problem. Part of the reason we were in that losing streak. We can mask a lot of these when we blow teams out, but they'll resurface in a big way in close games.

again my point is we don't do it often we do it far low in league average in fact we are one of the best in the league acting like its something that happens consistently is disingenuous
The changes that they made with the DBs seems to be working even with Hufanga out. Maybe Brown is better in covergage.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The changes that they made with the DBs seems to be working even with Hufanga out. Maybe Brown is better in covergage.

i wouldnt say that either we were already giving up the fewest big yards and were top 3 in YPA before Hufanga injury Brown is playing just as well but i don't think he has the instincts Hufanga has although he does have more speed i think

Both of these guys starting is going to be so fun to watch in the future
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

i wouldnt say that either we were already giving up the fewest big yards and were top 3 in YPA before Hufanga injury Brown is playing just as well but i don't think he has the instincts Hufanga has although he does have more speed i think

Both of these guys starting is going to be so fun to watch in the future

Not sure we will see both starting. My guess is the Niners look to upgrade the DBs along with the O line in the off season so one is likely to be a backup.
Share 49ersWebzone