There are 260 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Perhaps the Eagles' gimmick offense got figured out this off season, but I love the Wilks' game plan far better than the Demaco game plan last season. Wilks prioritized shutting down their design runs and force Jalen Hurts to drop back in the pocket. Last year, we gave up a bunch of explosive runs.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Perhaps the Eagles' gimmick offense got figured out this off season, but I love the Wilks' game plan far better than the Demaco game plan last season. Wilks prioritized shutting down their design runs and force Jalen Hurts to drop back in the pocket. Last year, we gave up a bunch of explosive runs.

Did a pretty good job of keeping him contained on the outsides.

he did get out of the pocket quite a bit but it didnt hurt too bad.
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by libertyforever:

Did a pretty good job of keeping him contained on the outsides.

he did get out of the pocket quite a bit but it didnt hurt too bad.

The Eagles couldn't run and they spied Hurts to keep him contained. All they had to do was cover the WRs and they did a great job of that. The Eagles don't have a TE like Kittle or a RB like CMC so they're easier to shut down.
Wilks took all that booth talk personally
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

The TV guys commented yesterday that Wilks made that move and said he prefrs it to the booth. He had been on the sidelines in the past and likes seeing the players as they come off the field.

My question is why did he wait so long to make that move?
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

The TV guys commented yesterday that Wilks made that move and said he prefrs it to the booth. He had been on the sidelines in the past and likes seeing the players as they come off the field.

He has enough experience to know his preference. He probably still prefer to be in the booth, but what do you want him to say publicly?
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I view the success as coincidental, booth vs field, reality is we are extremely gifted and Wilks works well with DBs which we have youth there and needed the help
All I know is that our DBs looks leagues better. If Jalen had 12 secs to look for a receiver but still couldn't make a completion, that tells a lot.
Originally posted by Alfienator:
All I know is that our DBs looks leagues better. If Jalen had 12 secs to look for a receiver but still couldn't make a completion, that tells a lot.

Yessir and we did that with J Brown who would not be getting D snaps but for injury, I saw Oliver at one point at safety, Ambry having a feat role, etc.
Originally posted by Alfienator:

There is no way any defense can cover this long for that many plays. I suspect Jalen Hurts is not very good at finding open receivers off script.

giving Wilks props for game planning and exposing Hurts, making him stay in the pocket and deal with pressure, making him read past his 1st progression.... exposing hurts for what he really is and that is a RB impersonating an NFL QB
Our DBs were fantastic yesterday, good job Wilks!
  • thl408
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Putting the clamps down on PHI's zone read stuff, and run game in general, also deserves mention.

Remember the days when our DBs wouldn't look back at the ball and it was PI every time?
Originally posted by thl408:

Putting the clamps down on PHI's zone read stuff, and run game in general, also deserves mention.

Took away the run and almost only rushed 4 with Warner making sure hurts can't go running crazy. Of course the eagles will move the ball at times and get theirs but it was a good plan.

eagles defense was a bit gassed as many expected, and imo they aren't as dominant as last season.
Share 49ersWebzone