There are 278 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
yeah, the biggest surprise for me is the coverage by our secondary. That was always our main weakness and if the pass rush didn't get there quick enough we would normally be toast. Hurts had all day on some plays but couldn't find an open receiver.
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Perhaps the Eagles' gimmick offense got figured out this off season, but I love the Wilks' game plan far better than the Demaco game plan last season. Wilks prioritized shutting down their design runs and force Jalen Hurts to drop back in the pocket. Last year, we gave up a bunch of explosive runs.

Did a pretty good job of keeping him contained on the outsides.

he did get out of the pocket quite a bit but it didnt hurt too bad.

Something we rarely seen accomplished under Saleh or DR.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Our DBs were fantastic yesterday, good job Wilks!

you recall our bet how you feel about that one, after this one?
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Our DBs were fantastic yesterday, good job Wilks!

you recall our bet how you feel about that one, after this one?

Yes, not wavering. The best part of our bet is if I lose, we probably win the SB.
I gotta eat crow, Wilks is bringing it and I say...good for him!
Originally posted by swayze:

Same. They had a good plan on limiting that offense and really put the pressure on Hurts to execute from the pocket, forcing him to make plays happen with his eyes and his arm instead of his feet and the secondary held up really well.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
I think he'll be here next year, and will really have a higher comfort level with the players. Next year we'll have a HISTORIC defense and then he'll get a HC gig, we'll get a 3rd rounder.

Yup. When that pass pro is tightened up, we get another deep threat (or Danny Gray comes along) and we can have a true DJ Jones replacement. Just a few holes here and there to plug. I think between adding those players and tightening up in regards to returns as well as being able to perhaps lead the league in TOP, we absolutely can have a historic defense that has no real weakenesses. Right now, this team gives me 1994 49ers vibes. By next year, especially if he gets two more corners and a safety that he can coach up, we'll be more like the 1989/1984 49ers.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Same. They had a good plan on limiting that offense and really put the pressure on Hurts to execute from the pocket, forcing him to make plays happen with his eyes and his arm instead of his feet and the secondary held up really well.

Yup. It really was a good gameplan. People kept harping on the limited pressure some guys got (Bosa for example). But for one, their OL false starts, they hold, and they are also very good. To add, Jalen Hurts holds onto the ball, so they essentially made him play QB. Hurts is an elite QB, but that's not the game he wants to play. He wants to wait for guys to break open or for D linemen to rush up the field with no discipline and he slips right past them.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Yup. It really was a good gameplan. People kept harping on the limited pressure some guys got (Bosa for example). But for one, their OL false starts, they hold, and they are also very good. To add, Jalen Hurts holds onto the ball, so they essentially made him play QB. Hurts is an elite QB, but that's not the game he wants to play. He wants to wait for guys to break open or for D linemen to rush up the field with no discipline and he slips right past them.

McKivitz needs to copy Lane Johnson on how to get away with a big first step without being called a false start.
[ Edited by father49er on Dec 4, 2023 at 1:55 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Wilks has been great since he removed Oliver from the slot. Motivating the players on the sidelines also helps.

Sooo, are we going to have to look for another DC for next year?

Well, I guess next year Saleh might be available again, so maybe we just go in a cycle with the same DC's.
[ Edited by SlipAndSlideBosa on Dec 4, 2023 at 2:05 PM ]
Admittedly I was nervous as hell watching the 1st 2 Eagles drives, but the way that Wilks and this defense held them to FGs was HUGE. Playing from 6 down vs being 14 down changed that entire game. Congrats on a great game, coach!
Didnt analyze but it felt like we had alot of coverage sacks/pressures yesterday.
[ Edited by TD49ers on Dec 4, 2023 at 3:47 PM ]
25 pressures for Dak,...most in his career.
Share 49ersWebzone