There are 307 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Ark49er:
Maybe He shouldn't have poked the Bear. The hit from Lenoir to Swift was for Wilks 😊

Siri is so gross. Cringe. Looks like a guy who needs a slice of humble pie..glad the 9ers were able to serve him some lol
So we back on the Wilks train? Dude has been much better since going down on the field
Originally posted by NYniner85:
So we back on the Wilks train? Dude has been much better since going down on the field

Have to give credit where it's due. He's made tremendous improvements and has our DBs playing excellent ball.

if we are going to whack on him when he struggles, have to give him props when he crushes it. Realistically, the defense has been really good all year, just had uncharacteristic struggles at times that we haven't seen in a few years - at least not for 3-4 games in a row.

i always liked the hire and I like it even more now that I've seen the way he's improved and the way the defense is playing. Ward, Ambry, and Dmo are playing excellent coverage, not just looking good cause the d line.
Respect to our secondary. I don't think anyone coming into the game thinking the secondary should or able to stay sticky with the Eagles receivers extended period of time. But that was the game plan going in with the front 4 not necessarily getting sacks on Hurts but mainly keeping him from escaping the pocket. Hurts was able to stand around for what seems like forever, watching the game, you're just thinking-- get 'em!!! But the front 4 stayed disciplined. After their 1st two scoring drives, Hurts had no place to go with the ball and had to eat it with a sack or escaping to the sideline with minimal gain. When he did find his guys--Ward, Ambry, Demo was on it when it counts.

Just an amazing, unselfish performance by the defense as a whole
Originally posted by tankle104:
Have to give credit where it's due. He's made tremendous improvements and has our DBs playing excellent ball.

if we are going to whack on him when he struggles, have to give him props when he crushes it. Realistically, the defense has been really good all year, just had uncharacteristic struggles at times that we haven't seen in a few years - at least not for 3-4 games in a row.

i always liked the hire and I like it even more now that I've seen the way he's improved and the way the defense is playing. Ward, Ambry, and Dmo are playing excellent coverage, not just looking good cause the d line.

you must not rememebr Ryans first year
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
DeMeco Ryans's first season, Saleh first and second seasons.
I mean people wanted Saleh fired before 2019.
There was this talk about Shanahan being too sentimental and keeping a friend with him.
And then DeMeco was just a guy with no experience yadi yada.
The reality is that the Defense as everything on this team is Kyle's baby.
He knows what he wants as far as scheme, players and the coachs.
Steve Wilks had to adjust I guess and so far he has done a pretty good job.
I mean when you look at how explosive the Dallas's offense is under McCarthy (I can't believe I just wrote that), the Niners are perhaps the only team that stopped them.

And by the way it's not just the defense that was bad week 6, 7 and 8, the offense wasn't able to score more than 17 points.
[ Edited by pdc20 on Dec 5, 2023 at 6:53 AM ]
Originally posted by ritz126:

I do. People wanted him gone and missed Saleh. Now he's one or the best coaches in the nfl. Every team needs a bit of time to gel with the scheme. Now that this team is starting to understand the scheme, the defense has look unstoppable. Wilks could stay with us for a little while, since most teams will look for young offensive coaches. I hope Wilks waits a while cause I'd like a consistent scheme for at least 3-4 years.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by ritz126:

I do. People wanted him gone and missed Saleh. Now he's one or the best coaches in the nfl. Every team needs a bit of time to gel with the scheme. Now that this team is starting to understand the scheme, the defense has look unstoppable. Wilks could stay with us for a little while, since most teams will look for young offensive coaches. I hope Wilks waits a while cause I'd like a consistent scheme for at least 3-4 years.

that was my point

it takes time for new coaches to find their rhythm even harder for Wilks because he didn't come from within like Ryans i even said before the season somewhere in this thread they will be a huge difference before and after the bye after self-scouting

I feel sometimes fans just have no idea sometimes

I'm with ya...I have to admit I was calling for his head on a plate and was wrong. He has done a great job. This team has always needed the DC on the field. His work with the backfield has been outstanding. Hope he keeps it up for a while...
[ Edited by bassmanr on Dec 5, 2023 at 9:35 AM ]

some of us never left

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

some of us never left

Same here, never was on the fire Wilks bandwagon, hope we keep him 1 more yr at least, cause you need him to stay 2 or more years to get a 3rd rd comp pick for losing Wilks.
I don't know if this same strategy of keeping QB in pocket will work vs Lamar. First off, he is a much better passer than hurts. Secondly, it puts a tremendous amount of pressure on that back 7.... I guess we'll see in the coming weeks vs Kyler & lamar
Originally posted by frenchmov:
I don't know if this same strategy of keeping QB in pocket will work vs Lamar. First off, he is a much better passer than hurts. Secondly, it puts a tremendous amount of pressure on that back 7.... I guess we'll see in the coming weeks vs Kyler & lamar

Could be as effective. I mean how does Baltimore receivers compare against Phillys? Flowers is a nice rookie and could cause a bit of problems, but OBJ seems washed, Bateman is a meh number 3, and they also lost their starting TE. The key is how are we gonna handle Lamar running? Have McCaffery scout team as Lamar and emulate that elusiveness lol.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by frenchmov:

Could be as effective. I mean how does Baltimore receivers compare against Phillys? Flowers is a nice rookie and could cause a bit of problems, but OBJ seems washed, Bateman is a meh number 3, and they also lost their starting TE. The key is how are we gonna handle Lamar running? Have McCaffery scout team as Lamar and emulate that elusiveness lol.

EZIEST game plan on earth... do NOT rush the guy... keep him in the pocket... that's what Tampa Bay dealt with Michael Vick, and he was more dangerous as a runner..
Did yall forget that the same approach from the defensive line was used last year in the NFCC?
Share 49ersWebzone