There are 268 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by frenchmov:
I don't know if this same strategy of keeping QB in pocket will work vs Lamar. First off, he is a much better passer than hurts. Secondly, it puts a tremendous amount of pressure on that back 7.... I guess we'll see in the coming weeks vs Kyler & lamar

One thing we do need to recognize is that the Eagles didn't run any designed runs/ Rpo's with Hurts. Niners did a great job containing his scrambling out of the pocket but never had to defend any designed runs. That won't be the case with Lamar. So i think it will be more of a challenge.
  • thl408
Originally posted by lamontb:
I don't know if this same strategy of keeping QB in pocket will work vs Lamar. First off, he is a much better passer than hurts. Secondly, it puts a tremendous amount of pressure on that back 7.... I guess we'll see in the coming weeks vs Kyler & lamar

One thing we do need to recognize is that the Eagles didn't run any designed runs/ Rpo's with Hurts. Niners did a great job containing his scrambling out of the pocket but never had to defend any designed runs. That won't be the case with Lamar. So i think it will be more of a challenge.

If you mean zone read, PHI did call those. The 49ers just slow played the mesh point and forced the HB dive. If you really mean RPOs then that I don't know. There was one play Hurts kept and Bosa shut it down. Yes, the 49ers did a very good job limiting his scrambling.
Originally posted by thl408:

If you mean zone read, PHI did call those. The 49ers just slow played the mesh point and forced the HB dive. If you really mean RPOs then that I don't know. There was one play Hurts kept and Bosa shut it down. Yes, the 49ers did a very good job limiting his scrambling.

It really felt like the 49ers took away the Eagles' "specialty" plays and forced Jalen Hurts to win as a conventional QB.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Wubbie:

It really felt like the 49ers took away the Eagles' "specialty" plays and forced Jalen Hurts to win as a conventional QB.

Totally. And when Hurts did escape pressure, the 49ers wanted him to roll left/right where half the field would be cut down in terms of passing options. But when he didn't escape and decided to stay in the pocket, to go ahead and make reads. I learned in this game that he does not do that very well.
Still needs to learn how and when to blitz. If it continues like this it might be the reason we lose the Super Bowl in crunch time.
Originally posted by Hangman_52:
Still needs to learn how and when to blitz. If it continues like this it might be the reason we lose the Super Bowl in crunch time.

I don't wanna think about that lol
I was looking for this thread. GREAT GREAT job yet again from the "Leader of Men" and DC of the San Francisco 49ers Steve Wilks today. Seattle had their two impressive tackles back and 10 days to prepare so I knew it would be a tougher game for our pass rush. However unlike in the past seasons when we were so dependent on the rush causing havoc to the opposing QB or else our defense would get torched. I don't worry as much now with Wilks because of the way our secondary has been playing. Oliver and Gibson have some trouble getting to their spots because they aren't at their physical peak, but overall the secondary is really good. Ward, Thomas, and Lenoir are playing as well as just about any trio in the NFL. No longer can opposing QBs just lob a pass towards a WR and pretty much get a PI call because our DBs were never taught proper technique to how to play man and ball. As long as we have Wilks, I hope that the team drafts a couple of talented but under radar DBs to let him tutor and groom for the future.

Also I really loved the leadership Wilks showed by telling a dejected Brandon Aiyuk after his huge fumble, not to worry about it because our defense will stop them and give BA another chance. No harm, no problem.
overall not bad. Blitzing Warner and Greenlaw together drives me nuts.

The rushing 3 on that 1st and 19 pissed me off.
Originally posted by Wubbie:

Totally. And when Hurts did escape pressure, the 49ers wanted him to roll left/right where half the field would be cut down in terms of passing options. But when he didn't escape and decided to stay in the pocket, to go ahead and make reads. I learned in this game that he does not do that very well.

Yeah, Thl, it kind of fills in the blanks as to why he is so heralded, but just do a CONTAIN on him, and he is just a deer in the headlights. It is really strange how he could be so highly rated by the NFL , yet throw a Wilks CONTAIN on him and the kid is just lost. He can't run because he virtually surrounded, and can't throw because everybody is covered. No question he doesn't read the field very well.

My guess is he just doesn't see the field well or he sees it and doesn't know what to do, while being surrounded in a rapidly disappearing pocket. Again, hats off to Wilks for his DCing.
Originally posted by _Goldblooded_:
overall not bad. Blitzing Warner and Greenlaw together drives me nuts.

The rushing 3 on that 1st and 19 pissed me off.

He needs to start walking the blitzer up closer to the gaps they are attacking. They are coming from too far away giving the qb plenty of time.

On the sideline, after Aiyuk fumbled catching and YAC between two hitting defenders, you can see Wilks said to Aiyuk, 'we'll get it back'

Do your thang on the sideline Wilks
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 11, 2023 at 8:43 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
On the sideline, after Aiyuk fumbled catching and YAC between to hitting defenders, you can see Wilks said to Aiyuk, 'we'll get it back'

Do your thang on the sideline Wilks

I seen that too.

Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by Hangman_52:

I don't wanna think about that lol

a couple of negative nancies
dude has s**tttttty ass game plans going in, always a slow start.... but he does make adjustments and eventually things fall in like they should
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
dude has s**tttttty ass game plans going in, always a slow start.... but he does make adjustments and eventually things fall in like they should

Held Seattle to 16 points, Dallas gave up 30+ points to Seattle. So he's doing good.
Share 49ersWebzone