49ers remain on losing side of Chiefs rivalry in 28-18 defeat →

There are 509 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • thl408
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
On the sideline, after Aiyuk fumbled catching and YAC between to hitting defenders, you can see Wilks said to Aiyuk, 'we'll get it back'

Do your thang on the sideline Wilks

I seen that too.

How could he possibly prefer being up in the booth? What's he going to do in that situation if he was in the booth, ask someone to put Aiyuk on the phone so he can tell Aiyuk, "we'll get it back"?
I think it was last week, there was a pass that was tipped and it would have been DPI on the 49ers if the pass wasn't tipped. Wilks was seen shouting at the ref that the pass was tipped. Not that it mattered, and the ref probably would have gotten the call correct anyway, but if Wilks was in the booth, he'd never be able to shout at the ref and feel heard.
Originally posted by thl408:
On the sideline, after Aiyuk fumbled catching and YAC between to hitting defenders, you can see Wilks said to Aiyuk, 'we'll get it back'

I seen that too.

How could he possibly prefer being up in the booth? What's he going to do in that situation if he was in the booth, ask someone to put Aiyuk on the phone so he can tell Aiyuk, "we'll get it back"?
I think it was last week, there was a pass that was tipped and it would have been DPI on the 49ers if the pass wasn't tipped. Wilks was seen shouting at the ref that the pass was tipped. Not that it mattered, and the ref probably would have gotten the call correct anyway, but if Wilks was in the booth, he'd never be able to shout at the ref and feel heard.

He has enough experience to know his preference long ago. Ther are plenty of DC that prefer to be up in the booth.
  • thl408
Originally posted by libertyforever:

I seen that too.

He has enough experience to know his preference long ago. Ther are plenty of DC that prefer to be up in the booth.

Seeing him engaging with the players and refs, it seems odd that he would prefer to be in the booth.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
I don't know if this same strategy of keeping QB in pocket will work vs Lamar. First off, he is a much better passer than hurts. Secondly, it puts a tremendous amount of pressure on that back 7.... I guess we'll see in the coming weeks vs Kyler & lamar

One thing we do need to recognize is that the Eagles didn't run any designed runs/ Rpo's with Hurts. Niners did a great job containing his scrambling out of the pocket but never had to defend any designed runs. That won't be the case with Lamar. So i think it will be more of a challenge.

If you mean zone read, PHI did call those. The 49ers just slow played the mesh point and forced the HB dive. If you really mean RPOs then that I don't know. There was one play Hurts kept and Bosa shut it down. Yes, the 49ers did a very good job limiting his scrambling.

It really felt like the 49ers took away the Eagles' "specialty" plays and forced Jalen Hurts to win as a conventional QB.

Totally. And when Hurts did escape pressure, the 49ers wanted him to roll left/right where half the field would be cut down in terms of passing options. But when he didn't escape and decided to stay in the pocket, to go ahead and make reads. I learned in this game that he does not do that very well.

Yeah, Thl, it kind of fills in the blanks as to why he is so heralded, but just do a CONTAIN on him, and he is just a deer in the headlights. It is really strange how he could be so highly rated by the NFL , yet throw a Wilks CONTAIN on him and the kid is just lost. He can't run because he virtually surrounded, and can't throw because everybody is covered. No question he doesn't read the field very well.

My guess is he just doesn't see the field well or he sees it and doesn't know what to do, while being surrounded in a rapidly disappearing pocket. Again, hats off to Wilks for his DCing.

I feel he's developing the next evolution of the Wide 9. The back nickel and dime schemes with two and three safety sets. Jaiyer, Grayham/Gipson, and Dee Winters doing the hybrid stuff in the back end of the Wide 9. Its comming, and I can see him unveiling that in the playoffs.
[ Edited by Giedi on Dec 11, 2023 at 9:58 AM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
I don't know if this same strategy of keeping QB in pocket will work vs Lamar. First off, he is a much better passer than hurts. Secondly, it puts a tremendous amount of pressure on that back 7.... I guess we'll see in the coming weeks vs Kyler & lamar

One thing we do need to recognize is that the Eagles didn't run any designed runs/ Rpo's with Hurts. Niners did a great job containing his scrambling out of the pocket but never had to defend any designed runs. That won't be the case with Lamar. So i think it will be more of a challenge.

If you mean zone read, PHI did call those. The 49ers just slow played the mesh point and forced the HB dive. If you really mean RPOs then that I don't know. There was one play Hurts kept and Bosa shut it down. Yes, the 49ers did a very good job limiting his scrambling.

It really felt like the 49ers took away the Eagles' "specialty" plays and forced Jalen Hurts to win as a conventional QB.

Totally. And when Hurts did escape pressure, the 49ers wanted him to roll left/right where half the field would be cut down in terms of passing options. But when he didn't escape and decided to stay in the pocket, to go ahead and make reads. I learned in this game that he does not do that very well.

Yeah, Thl, it kind of fills in the blanks as to why he is so heralded, but just do a CONTAIN on him, and he is just a deer in the headlights. It is really strange how he could be so highly rated by the NFL , yet throw a Wilks CONTAIN on him and the kid is just lost. He can't run because he virtually surrounded, and can't throw because everybody is covered. No question he doesn't read the field very well.

My guess is he just doesn't see the field well or he sees it and doesn't know what to do, while being surrounded in a rapidly disappearing pocket. Again, hats off to Wilks for his DCing.

I feel he's developing the next evolution of the Wide 9. The back nickel and dime schemes with two and three safety sets. Jaiyer, Grayham/Gipson, and Dee Winters doing the hybrid stuff in the back end of the Wide 9. Its comming, and I can see him unveiling that in the playoffs.

Graham is better than Winters IMO.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

this dude still getting fired?
I am really happy with the defense and Wilks aside from going for the kill with zero blitzes on third and forever when all we need is another stop. It was interesting how Lynch said keeping Hurts contained was his idea and how Wilks being on the sideline was Kyle's idea. Seems like Wilks' reins might be being pulled in a bit. 90% Wilks might be much much better than %100 Wilks. Many such cases.

If such a dynamic exists, it could explain his past failures. Hopefully he continues doing well and then, assuming continued success, stays on as DC for a while.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
I still think he takes too long to make adjustments in the first half but once he does he is pretty locked in.

Secondary has improved a ton under him.

He is the first D cord i can recall in a long time that has an answer for running QBs.

The stats don't lie. He is doing very well.

May even get HC looks in a couple months.
Originally posted by Crown:
I still think he takes too long to make adjustments in the first half but once he does he is pretty locked in.

Secondary has improved a ton under him.

He is the first D cord i can recall in a long time that has an answer for running QBs.

The stats don't lie. He is doing very well.

May even get HC looks in a couple months.

Yeah, defense can feel soft for some stretches, but outside of our 3 game slump, the defense is performing at an elite level when you zoom out and see the big picture.
we are back to #1 on D in points
O is 3rd
MIA and DAL have more points on O if anyone is wondering

Wilks looks good on the sideline. Different personality than Demeco and Saleh who were super hype and energetic, rather he is a calming presence, a father like figure
[ Edited by Young2Owens on Dec 11, 2023 at 11:22 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

You still blaming Kyle for Jimmy's issues?

what in the name of deflections is this?
i'm talking our bet,

what in the name of deflections is this?
i'm talking our bet,

100% deflection. I'm channeling my inner faithful.

I've gone out of my way to publicly eat crow. You don't need to worry about that.
Originally posted by libertyforever:

I seen that too.

Kyle Shanahan said that he would prefer the booth if he was calling plays for the offense. Dan Quinn who everyone will acknowledge is one of the top defensive coaches in the NFL. He was the catalyst for the legion of boom in Seattle and now has the Cowboys defense getting after teams. He is coaching from the booth, not the sideline. Quinn's defenses are probably the most emulated or attempted to emulate in the NFL over the last 10 years. Basically being in the booth or on the sideline has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Wilks has been on the sideline and the booth before in his long career. What I like about Wilks on the sideline is that it allows him to use one of his strengths which is leadership and teaching, persuading and convincing his players. I love how he gets on the refs. Love that he has his players back. Love that he is a stand up coach(only one on our team that is built for that). Love the fact that all our players offensive and defensively respect Steve like a father figure. Real men like Steve Wilks are a good thing for the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone