There are 909 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
what do you classify as new? cuz thats not a new trend imo, kinda old now tbh

I blacked out right about the time we did it in the endzone at the Super Bowl. Perfect timing.

I'm sure your handle had something to do with that. Haha.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
I sort of wish Wilks would tamp down that new trend where the entire defense celebrates in the end zone when a play is made. Especially after watching the Phins make complete asses out of themselves last night, right before choking up a 14 point lead with under 5 minutes left. I have to imagine if Miami's D put as much thought and effort into playing the game as they do choreographing celebrations they may have been able to stop at least ONE of those last minute TDs.

what do you classify as new? cuz thats not a new trend imo, kinda old now tbh

I like how taunting is illegal, yet the entire team collectively taunting and posing for the cameras after a turnover is perfectly legal, nothing to see here,

We need to bring this back.

I totally forgot about that haha. Aldon man. Imo the biggest waste of potential in niner history. Could've been an all timer if he put down the bottle.
Agree 💯%, I Would have loved to see Aldon and Bosa together. But, we do have a shot at seeing Bosa and Chase Young in the playoffs and beyond. It will be interesting to see if the 49ers are able to retain Chase Young after this year.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Agree 💯%, I Would have loved to see Aldon and Bosa together. But, we do have a shot at seeing Bosa and Chase Young in the playoffs and beyond. It will be interesting to see if the 49ers are able to retain Chase Young after this year.

I don't think there is any way we let him walk. Would be cool to get gregory on a cheap deal too.

our defense is totally different with those two pass rushers added to our arsenal. Having Gregory as a third pass rusher is ridiculous. Lol he would start on most teams.
Originally posted by tankle104:

I don't think there is any way we let him walk. Would be cool to get gregory on a cheap deal too.

our defense is totally different with those two pass rushers added to our arsenal. Having Gregory as a third pass rusher is ridiculous. Lol he would start on most teams.

Seems like Gregory plays more than Young. I don't think Young is close to 100% More like 85%
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Originally posted by lamontb:
Seems like Gregory plays more than Young. I don't think Young is close to 100% More like 85%

Agree with both, Gregory and Chase have made a big difference in our defense this year. Got take advantage of Brock's cap number for the next two years by somehow retaining them. Gonna be hard, but if we can keep either one, it's going to be one heck of a two year playoff ride for sure!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Wasnt the only time in this game. It's actually something we've done before with Meco. Ran this same thing against Seattle on TNF last year, I believe it was 2nd quarter.

Fred motioned out with a RB, wide and then played a cloud in 2zone.

Wilks had a fantastic plan for DK in this game and though they did get the one shot to him, it's why he was so quiet and they used DK against the Hawks, actually. They kept baiting Lock into looking to Metcalf on alert fades and it caused him to be off rhythm on his reads. My video today is all defense and it's long. There was so much good in this game. Much better than the score would suggest.

Man o man, I'm going to be bummed when we lose Wilks to a HC job in 2025. Same way I'm going to be bummed when Anthony Lynn (most likely) will be a HC this next offseason.
Wasnt the only time in this game. It's actually something we've done before with Meco. Ran this same thing against Seattle on TNF last year, I believe it was 2nd quarter.

Wilks had a fantastic plan for DK in this game and though they did get the one shot to him, it's why he was so quiet and they used DK against the Hawks, actually. They kept baiting Lock into looking to Metcalf on alert fades and it caused him to be off rhythm on his reads. My video today is all defense and it's long. There was so much good in this game. Much better than the score would suggest.

Man o man, I'm going to be bummed when we lose Wilks to a HC job in 2025. Same way I'm going to be bummed when Anthony Lynn (most likely) will be a HC this next offseason.

it is nice we get a 3rd round pick but man id rather keep great coaches.

the fact Kyle has the ability to find a great coach and us not missing a beat honestly cant last forever
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ritz126:

it is nice we get a 3rd round pick but man id rather keep great coaches.

the fact Kyle has the ability to find a great coach and us not missing a beat honestly cant last forever

Agree, it might not last. A big factor in getting good coaches these past few years is Papa Shanahan calling up his old players/old coaching staff and convincing them to be in his sons coaching staff. When he's gone, that's my fear that Kyle won't be able to find those high level coaching talent anymore. Then again, Kyle's learned much from Papa, and hope he can continue finding those coaching gems in the future when Papa might not be available to give him some tips.

Originally posted by lamontb:

Agree with both, Gregory and Chase have made a big difference in our defense this year. Got take advantage of Brock's cap number for the next two years by somehow retaining them. Gonna be hard, but if we can keep either one, it's going to be one heck of a two year playoff ride for sure!

Agreed and it makes me think we should be drafting a couple of DE every year. Take the physical specimen types and see if it works out or not. Having a rotation of quality rushers is obviously a massive luxury and eventually the cap ramifications come with a quality edge guy, but that's why you keep drafting etc. If a guy doesn't hit, move on etc. Anyone who argues with me that's a waste, look at Lance. They swung and missed, but hit a grand slam with Purdy. They moved on.
REVENGE GAME FOR WILKS! I hope the team shuts em out!

Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
REVENGE GAME FOR WILKS! I hope the team shuts em out!

Ditto
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Lets see how he does covering for a couple starters out.
Originally posted by Crown:
Lets see how he does covering for a couple starters out.

Good point
Take last game for example, no Huf obviously and down early was Ward. That's our two best in the secondary from last year. Now even more of a test, it seems.
Totally. And when Hurts did escape pressure, the 49ers wanted him to roll left/right where half the field would be cut down in terms of passing options. But when he didn't escape and decided to stay in the pocket, to go ahead and make reads. I learned in this game that he does not do that very well.

The first time Kyler takes off around the Edge, I hope it is only for 10 yds or so. The 2nd time he takes off I hope Wilks says, Guys, no more of this b.s. From now you just CONTAIN. And that is the way i hope we end the game,…playing CONTAIN. Getting beaten by Kyler running around our EDGES, just isn't going to happen.
he and his unit were brutal in this game

I expect them to refocus after this
Share 49ersWebzone