There are 247 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mankster:
Not worried.
Given the quality of players (Armstead and Hargrave) that were not on the field. Then Kalia Davis went out. I mean...dang! No wonder the Cards were able to run. I actually loved this game. Bunch of guys seemed a little sluggish and off...but they still took care of business.

Agree, I think the DLIne injuries affected Fred and Greenlaw. You need studs at the DT in the wide 9, that's why they spend bunko bucks on the DLine to make sure we have the bodies to stop the runs at the DLine. Once Hargrave and Arik are back, you should see an improvement in the defensive tackling and run stopping.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by tankle104:
I don't think there is any way we let him walk. Would be cool to get gregory on a cheap deal too.

our defense is totally different with those two pass rushers added to our arsenal. Having Gregory as a third pass rusher is ridiculous. Lol he would start on most teams.

Originally posted by lamontb:
Seems like Gregory plays more than Young. I don't think Young is close to 100% More like 85%

Agree with both, Gregory and Chase have made a big difference in our defense this year. Got take advantage of Brock's cap number for the next two years by somehow retaining them. Gonna be hard, but if we can keep either one, it's going to be one heck of a two year playoff ride for sure!

Agreed and it makes me think we should be drafting a couple of DE every year. Take the physical specimen types and see if it works out or not. Having a rotation of quality rushers is obviously a massive luxury and eventually the cap ramifications come with a quality edge guy, but that's why you keep drafting etc. If a guy doesn't hit, move on etc. Anyone who argues with me that's a waste, look at Lance. They swung and missed, but hit a grand slam with Purdy. They moved on.

I Agree, ShanaLynch have to keep the DLine strong via good drafting. That doesn't mean drafting a Bosa 2.0 in the first round every year though. Because I do want them to also start drafting some good solid OLinemen too, to protect the franchise QB. But yeah, this defense simply does not work, if the DLine isn't a top flight defense. They have done some great DLine drafting in their Day 3 picks, and that's what it's probably going to take if they want the super bowl window to remain open for a long time.

Yeah, draft busts (possibly like Kinlaw) you swing and sometimes you miss. The key is - like you said - moving on and making sure those draft busts don't happen too often.
Everyone wants to critique everything like they are on the level of professional coaches. The defense is just fine. The offense and Purdy didn't look so good when that side of the ball was missing two key contributors despite having a MVP QB. Well the defense did not look as good with 2 All pros missing. I was not living in a mirage thinking K Davis and Givens were going to morph into Armstead and Hargrave. I also have never seen Kinlaw make up the difference for anybody so his game today was just the norm. Also there aren't many games where both Fred and Dre play bad in the same game in their careers. There is no long history of that happening so to be alarmed by it because of today is ridiculous.

The Ravens are going to score on our defense next week no matter if they play their best game this season. I do not expect Fred and Dre to play poorly again because history says that will not happen. Armstead and Hargrave will be rested and ready to go in a game that could very well be a SB preview.

Wilks has done a good job putting guys in position to make plays and as long as he does that, good things will happen. Once again I love the fact that this team can take the ball away to change the momentum of the game. Who knows, the defense might have to win one of these games coming up in the regular and/or postseason by getting a pick or forcing a fumble at a key moment.
Originally posted by Ark49er:
Everyone wants to critique everything like they are on the level of professional coaches. The defense is just fine. The offense and Purdy didn't look so good when that side of the ball was missing two key contributors despite having a MVP QB. Well the defense did not look as good with 2 All pros missing. I was not living in a mirage thinking K Davis and Givens were going to morph into Armstead and Hargrave. I also have never seen Kinlaw make up the difference for anybody so his game today was just the norm. Also there aren't many games where both Fred and Dre play bad in the same game in their careers. There is no long history of that happening so to be alarmed by it because of today is ridiculous.

The Ravens are going to score on our defense next week no matter if they play their best game this season. I do not expect Fred and Dre to play poorly again because history says that will not happen. Armstead and Hargrave will be rested and ready to go in a game that could very well be a SB preview.

Wilks has done a good job putting guys in position to make plays and as long as he does that, good things will happen. Once again I love the fact that this team can take the ball away to change the momentum of the game. Who knows, the defense might have to win one of these games coming up in the regular and/or postseason by getting a pick or forcing a fumble at a key moment.

Only so much depth one can have. Trent Williams is the anchor for the entire offensive scheme. I would certainly like to see them draft a run stuffing dt to rotate in next year. After armstead nobody has really stepped up. Davis maybe but he's raw and already dinged up.
Warner was closing the wrong gap the entire game
Another big test next week. I'm happy we get these in the regular season as it can only help for the playoffs.
No Dl depth especially internally and overall a solid game by the D

there were definitely some execution errors but overall the D plays well in a bend don't break style
same dam movie different actors, start slow due to the ineffective game plan then adjust and gradually choke them out
Wilks putting people in position to miss tackles. Every place he has been a DC the tackling got worse and worse as the season progressed. If it was was only one team it would seem like a coincidence, but it has been every team. The Browns went from bad to horrid, but the Cardinals went from a solid defense to garbage.

• pdc20
  • Veteran
Yeah missed tackles have been a problem the last few weeks.
And that's not Steve Wilks's fault.
At some point, players have to do their jobs. Some of those missed tackles were horrendous. Like did they just remove their brains before the game?
Originally posted by Hangman_52:
Wilks putting people in position to miss tackles. Every place he has been a DC the tackling got worse and worse as the season progressed. If it was was only one team it would seem like a coincidence, but it has been every team. The Browns went from bad to horrid, but the Cardinals went from a solid defense to garbage.

We are #2 in points, #1 in TOs. I'll take the whole enchilada here that he brings, he's doing great work. The DBs have improved a lot. He's doing it without AA, Hargrave, Huf in the last one. We pick sixed em, and had the game in the bag, players sometimes make business decisions, when the game is in hand, and you get that stat..
Originally posted by pdc20:
At some point, players have to do their jobs. Some of those missed tackles were horrendous. Like did they just remove their brains before the game?

That's just it, when you are in position to make the play, make it. Execution.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Yes, when you're in position to make the play... make it.

Unless you're Jimmy G. Then its Kyle's fault.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Other than Brown, the 49ers aren't sending out a bunch of 1st year players. These guys are NFL professionals, some have achieved some high degree of success.

I think Warner will have a dominant game against the Ravens. Normally when he has a bad game where it is obvious, his pride kicks in and he comes back strong.
[ Edited by Ark49er on Dec 18, 2023 at 4:13 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone