There are 220 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Hangman_52:
Wilks putting people in position to miss tackles. Every place he has been a DC the tackling got worse and worse as the season progressed. If it was was only one team it would seem like a coincidence, but it has been every team. The Browns went from bad to horrid, but the Cardinals went from a solid defense to garbage.

you ever going to give up this tired narrative?

the factual stats betray your opinions.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Kyle needs to bring this up and make it a point of emphasis. This can literally make the game so much easier for the team.
Just like my post before the AZ game, to win we have to CONTAIN on Lamar. Edges have to box him in and not try for the sack off the LOS. It's a big temptation, but guys like Lamar need the DEs to crash in on them to do what he does best…runs around hungry DEs. Added to this is the DTs crashing up the gut. Do that and Lamar becomes a whole lot less dangerous.

No question he is a good thrower, but it is his runs from teams that don't CONTAIN that kills opponents. Hope that Wilks has CONTAIN on Lamar from the gitgo, and that means DBs have to cover, because Lamar is going to have a lot of time to throw if we play contain. Still, listen to Bosa's interview after Eagles game, and he said exactly that Contain to win. The sacks can come later, but CONTAIN wins the game.

Wilks, I hope you are thinking the same, bud.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

Kyle needs to bring this up and make it a point of emphasis. This can literally make the game so much easier for the team.

Super Bowl Champions don't miss tackles, the defense needs to get their s**t together!!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

Super Bowl Champions don't miss tackles, the defense needs to get their s**t together!!!!

here's my theory

the reason for the missed tackles in the past few games is because now that the 49ers offense is elite they're able to score more quickly so the defense is out playing more snaps. pair that with a pick six and now the defense basically stays on the field, they were clearly gassed out there

this is the catch 22 of having an elite offense
[ Edited by D0PEMAN on Dec 20, 2023 at 9:55 AM ]
How is he going to make it so that Lamar looks like the MVP this game? Will it be the lack of tackling, lack of stopping his running, lack of pressure due to no scheme, and/or blitzing at the wrong time and in the wrong way to give up big plays after big plays?

Most likely all of the above
How is he going to make it so that Lamar looks like the MVP this game? Will it be the lack of tackling, lack of stopping his running, lack of pressure due to no scheme, and/or blitzing at the wrong time and in the wrong way to give up big plays after big plays?

I find your lack of faith disturbing

This may be the game when Wilks shows he is deserving of another head coaching stint. Keep the Ravens under 17 points and get the win.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Just like my post before the AZ game, to win we have to CONTAIN on Lamar. Edges have to box him in and not try for the sack off the LOS. It's a big temptation, but guys like Lamar need the DEs to crash in on them to do what he does best…runs around hungry DEs. Added to this is the DTs crashing up the gut. Do that and Lamar becomes a whole lot less dangerous.

No question he is a good thrower, but it is his runs from teams that don't CONTAIN that kills opponents. Hope that Wilks has CONTAIN on Lamar from the gitgo, and that means DBs have to cover, because Lamar is going to have a lot of time to throw if we play contain. Still, listen to Bosa's interview after Eagles game, and he said exactly that Contain to win. The sacks can come later, but CONTAIN wins the game.

Tthere is a reason Lamar leads the Ravens in rushing yards

It isn't easy to contain Lamar teams have been trying for years
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Yeah I was massively critical of him and imo he still has work to do, but he did gameplan the Eagles very well.

Lets be honest. There isn't much you can do to Lamar at times. He will get his and just make crazy plays.

As far as missed tackles I recall a convo earlier in the season that he does have the LB's running like mad so by the end of the year they may be gassed etc. I can say that's a fair variable. But id also argue our defense hasn't had a potent offense like this and they are naturally on the field more because of how fast we can score now etc.

I can see Kyle focusing more on the run this game to keep Lamar off the field and also his defense etc. The problem is Purdy has been so good its easy to ditch and go score.

I am curious to see what Wilks has up his sleeve for this game.

Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Tthere is a reason Lamar leads the Ravens in rushing yards

It isn't easy to contain Lamar teams have been trying for years

Correct…the reason he leads Ravens in rushing yards is 100% due to teams crashing in on him from the EDGES, and he just runs around them when they don't CONTAIN. We don't CONTAIN, we don't win. But when Chase and Nick do their CONTAIN, and then ARIK and Gravedigger crash up the gut, that's when Lamar can be gotten to.

This is the one thing missing from all those games in previous yrs when running QBs, like Kyler, and Russ Wilson would just run around back there because our DEs crashed and didn't CONTAIN. Against Hurts, our EDGES played him perfectly, and he had 4,5 or 6 seconds to throw. DBs did a helluva job in coverage, but Hurts didn't gash us for all but two ten yarders or so. Rest of time he was CONTAINED and it was obvious he was way out of his comfort zone. That's what we need once again with Lamar.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Yeah I was massively critical of him and imo he still has work to do, but he did gameplan the Eagles very well.

Lets be honest. There isn't much you can do to Lamar at times. He will get his and just make crazy plays.

As far as missed tackles I recall a convo earlier in the season that he does have the LB's running like mad so by the end of the year they may be gassed etc. I can say that's a fair variable. But id also argue our defense hasn't had a potent offense like this and they are naturally on the field more because of how fast we can score now etc.

I can see Kyle focusing more on the run this game to keep Lamar off the field and also his defense etc. The problem is Purdy has been so good its easy to ditch and go score.

want to see us get the hit and forced fumble on ol Lamar
then scoop and score

You sure you are in the right forum?

The Steve Wilks bashing season was months ago man. You're way too late - like turning up in a Halloween outfit at Christmas dinner.

You're going to have to start a new scapegoat, though it will be hard to get it to catch on since we're, like, winning and stuff. Moody has already been done. Lynch is too obvious. I heard Deebo doesn't finish his routes correctly - maybe you could work that a bit?
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Yep, I was pretty damn harsh regarding Wilks but it looks like adjustments have been made and the Eagles game was just really impressive. Noone can argue with that. I agree, he still has work to do but has adjusted well. This game will be a chance to really silence the doubters and to showcase his knowledge and experience as a DC. I think the heat on him was positive. Since then, changes have been made and it's been for the best. Coming down to the sidelines was a good idea. Do I have my doubts about this game? Yep, concerns are still there some but if Eagles game Wilks shows up..Ravens are gunna have one hell of a challenge.
Share 49ersWebzone