There are 215 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Wilks manages the scheme. It's the position coaches that are responsible for the fundamentals. Clearly, the players are in the right positions but aren't making the tackles or arriving in gangs like we saw weeks ago. That's like blaming Kyle for receivers dropping balls.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Correct…the reason he leads Ravens in rushing yards is 100% due to teams crashing in on him from the EDGES, and he just runs around them when they don't CONTAIN. We don't CONTAIN, we don't win. But when Chase and Nick do their CONTAIN, and then ARIK and Gravedigger crash up the gut, that's when Lamar can be gotten to.

This is the one thing missing from all those games in previous yrs when running QBs, like Kyler, and Russ Wilson would just run around back there because our DEs crashed and didn't CONTAIN. Against Hurts, our EDGES played him perfectly, and he had 4,5 or 6 seconds to throw. DBs did a helluva job in coverage, but Hurts didn't gash us for all but two ten yarders or so. Rest of time he was CONTAINED and it was obvious he was way out of his comfort zone. That's what we need once again with Lamar.

the problem is Lamar isnt eve rushing much this year he is a better pocket passer than Murray and Hurts so containing him in the pocket doesn't work as much because there is only so long you can cover the WRs. Iif you watched him play this year he is content sitting in the pocket for 5 seconds before someone gets open
Am I the only one who doesn't think we contained that well against the Eagles?

If by contain you mean rushing as a group… then yeah. But we let Hurts get to the edges too often for my liking. The secondary just did a great job downfield so Hurts held onto the football.

We need to be better to beat Lamar.
Originally posted by ritz126:
Correct…the reason he leads Ravens in rushing yards is 100% due to teams crashing in on him from the EDGES, and he just runs around them when they don't CONTAIN. We don't CONTAIN, we don't win. But when Chase and Nick do their CONTAIN, and then ARIK and Gravedigger crash up the gut, that's when Lamar can be gotten to.

This is the one thing missing from all those games in previous yrs when running QBs, like Kyler, and Russ Wilson would just run around back there because our DEs crashed and didn't CONTAIN. Against Hurts, our EDGES played him perfectly, and he had 4,5 or 6 seconds to throw. DBs did a helluva job in coverage, but Hurts didn't gash us for all but two ten yarders or so. Rest of time he was CONTAINED and it was obvious he was way out of his comfort zone. That's what we need once again with Lamar.

the problem is Lamar isnt eve rushing much this year he is a better pocket passer than Murray and Hurts so containing him in the pocket doesn't work as much because there is only so long you can cover the WRs. Iif you watched him play this year he is content sitting in the pocket for 5 seconds before someone gets open

I still think Lamar has limited field vision. If we play his primary and second option tight he will run. Whatever teams do to Lamar during the playoffs we should do the same. He's had poor performances during big playoff games against good teams.
I would love to see a Master Class from Wilks this Monday.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

The team will have their hands full with Lamar who looks to be very motivated for this game in Prime time. The defense just has to contain him, nobody is stopping him because he's an elite player, the best player this team has played all season long. I think Coach Wilks will have a great game plan in place to contain Lamar. It will come down to whether or not the players on the field are aggressive but remain discipline the entire game.

Think he commits a spy?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Personally I think you do your best to just slow Lamar down. He's going to score, just like Russel Wilson. Key is to also keep scoring offensively. Lamar is an elite RB and is developing into a decent QB. He's really hard to contain or bring down. My strategy would be to stop the run and put the ball in his hands, play both field position defense and bend but don't break defense. Make him score field goals while our offense score touchdowns.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

Think he commits a spy?

Maybe on certain downs or situations. If he can get our defense to hold them to 17 or under then I think hes done a great job. Masterclass would be 7 and under.
  • titan
  • Veteran
If our Defense is on against the Ravens MVP goes to SF. Let's see how much this defense want it for their QB or RB.

Originally posted by titan:
If our Defense is on against the Ravens MVP goes to SF. Let's see how much this defense want it for their QB or RB.

They aren't playing for Brock Purdy or CMC. Frankly if one of those guys wants it then they need to perform at a high level. It's not a defensive assist award.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

If by contain you mean rushing as a group… then yeah. But we let Hurts get to the edges too often for my liking. The secondary just did a great job downfield so Hurts held onto the football.

To me they didn't have to contain much versus the Eagles b/c Hurts barely ran. I don't recall any zone reads or rpo's. So I don't think Hurts hurt them outside that much. But I do agree with your overall premise. Kyler was able to get outside. They will need to be better
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by Waterbear:

To me they didn't have to contain much versus the Eagles b/c Hurts barely ran. I don't recall any zone reads or rpo's. So I don't think Hurts hurt them outside that much. But I do agree with your overall premise. Kyler was able to get outside. They will need to be better
The gameplan was to stop Hurts running up the middle (his Bread and butter).
With Gregory added to the injuries, Wilks will really have to work some clever schemes.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/176053-49ers-gregory-injury-report-ravens/
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ark49er:
Originally posted by titan:

They aren't playing for Brock Purdy or CMC. Frankly if one of those guys wants it then they need to perform at a high level. It's not a defensive assist award.

Oh ok it's not a team effort type thang…Got it! It should be a shootout only!
Share 49ersWebzone