There are 243 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
This is pathetic
This guy sucks
The front 4 is just so underwhelming across the board. Guys just aren't making any plays
Outside of injuries, this guy might be the biggest concern, thought he had turned it around after the bye, but still seeing some of the same concerning things
Originally posted by lamontb:
The front 4 is just so underwhelming across the board. Guys just aren't making any plays

The thing that stands out to me is the horrible angles by both ends.
Gashed in the run game-check
pass rush always late-check
DBs playing way off the ball-check
blown coverages-check
missed tackles-check
Originally posted by MoistButtCheeks:

It was really bad last week. But none of them are winning. Hargrave Bosa and Young aren't providing any pressure. It's one thing for the back up DT's to get steam rolled but our quality players aren't making quality plays. And you can now see the lack of depth
Originally posted by MoistButtCheeks:

It was really bad last week. But none of them are winning. Hargrave Bosa and Young aren't providing any pressure. It's one thing for the back up DT's to get steam rolled but our quality players aren't making quality plays. And you can now see the lack of depth

The eyeball test for the 49ers defense is so weird this year. There will be times where we're bending, giving up plays. Doesn't look like we have a pass rush. Last month or so, run defense hasn't been as strong.

And yet, against the Commanders, we only allowed 10 points, 225 yards, and forced 2 turnovers. It feels like Wilks plays more of a bend, but don't break, style of defense, knowing full well that the 49ers offense is going to pull away, while the opposing offense just can't keep up.
On one hand I felt like we didn't have a great defensive performance watching the game

Then you look and we gave up like 200 yards and 10 points.... I don't know, it's so weird

Originally posted by frenchmov:
On one hand I felt like we didn't have a great defensive performance watching the game

Then you look and we gave up like 200 yards and 10 points.... I don't know, it's so weird

Felt like both the offense and defense had B games. Plenty enough for a win. Short week with travel as well.

That's generally been the story all year.
I actually think the MO of this year's defense is to just limit big plays, and force opposing offenses to drive the length of the field. Very hard for a team to consistently score TD's if they have to mount 10 play drives repeatedly--- penalties, drops, the occasional sack... they're going to thwart drives.

Couple that with our offense nearing 30 points a game, our defense seems to put the clamps on in the third/fourth quarters, when the clock & game situation becomes a factor.
Originally posted by Wubbie:

I actually think the MO of this year's defense is to just limit big plays, and force opposing offenses to drive the length of the field. Very hard for a team to consistently score TD's if they have to mount 10 play drives repeatedly--- penalties, drops, the occasional sack... they're going to thwart drives.

Couple that with our offense nearing 30 points a game, our defense seems to put the clamps on in the third/fourth quarters, when the clock & game situation becomes a factor.

True but this DL needs to do more. Their too talented to play this soft.
Originally posted by BobSacamano69:
Originally posted by Wubbie:

True but this DL needs to do more. Their too talented to play this soft.

Agreed, the talent on the d-line should imply a pass rush similar to the 49ers 2019 pass rush. It's just weird because we ARE 7th in sacks and 2nd in interceptions.
He's not as bad as I feared earlier in the year but I'm also still worried as I feel many games he doesn't have the guys ready. A lot of soft coverage combined with a weak run defense and a missed tackle clinic is not good.

the run defense has been very suspect and saved by our high scoring offense.

we need a healthy AA back for the playoffs as he makes our run defense top 2.
Share 49ersWebzone