There are 165 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by frenchmov:
On one hand I felt like we didn't have a great defensive performance watching the game

Then you look and we gave up like 200 yards and 10 points.... I don't know, it's so weird

Agree. I don't think the fears will alleviate unless we at least make it to the Super Bowl. Something just seems off about it all. It's like when the Big 3 came together. They were number 2 seed, which is good but not great and only won 58 games.
My biggest gripe is he's just way way to vanilla with the front 4. CF and every other DE combination has been a clear downgrade from Ebukam and CO. Hargrave and Bosa have just been above average but nothing special. Wilks really needs to mix it up. The lack of stunts or mixing up the fronts is glaring. Then his blitzes are a bit too predictable. Always on 3rd down. And the spacing is awful. They will have more guys blitzing then they can block but everybody is blitzing into the same hole. Making it congested and giving the qb more time. instead they should have a free rusher. Overall he's been solid. The play of the secondary has improved. The front 4 has been disappointing but that's not all on Wilks.
It's basically a bend but don't break D that assumes eventually the offense will mess things up. There is no dictating of the game. All passive and reactionary.

Reality is he will back though. Either the 9ers lose a playoff game where his D doesn't play great or they go to the SB and no one is waiting around for him this year.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
It's basically a bend but don't break D that assumes eventually the offense will mess things up. There is no dictating of the game. All passive and reactionary.

Reality is he will back though. Either the 9ers lose a playoff game where his D doesn't play great or they go to the SB and no one is waiting around for him this year.

Lot of openings with not a lot of great candidates. Maybe he gets hired if we go on a run. I doubt it, but stranger things have happened.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Lot of openings with not a lot of great candidates. Maybe he gets hired if we go on a run. I doubt it, but stranger things have happened.

If they go on a run the team would have to wait until after the SB. I just don't see someone doing that for Wilks. Not this year at least.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Dec 31, 2023 at 4:42 PM ]
If they go on a run the team would have to wait until after the SB. I just don't see someone doing that for Wilks. Not this year at least.

Fair point. Didn't even consider it. Really makes it next to no chance for me.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

I can't see it. He has an embarrassment of talent. Best we can hope for is to win a SB or 2, then we get back to first time, young DCs looking to prove themselves.

Maybe we can promote from within or pluck an up and comer from Ryan's or Saleh's staff.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Dec 31, 2023 at 4:52 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I can't see it. He has an embarrassment of talent. Best we can hope for is to win a SB or 2, then we get back to first time, young DCs looking to prove themselves.

Maybe we can promote from within or pluck an up and comer from Ryan's or Saleh's staff.

i think people are going to look at the panthers last year and think he's a better HC candidate than expected its not impossible he gets at least an interview
Originally posted by ritz126:

i think people are going to look at the panthers last year and think he's a better HC candidate than expected its not impossible he gets at least an interview

He definitely is. How many jobs are expected to be open however? Right now I have 3, Raiders, Chargers, and Panthers and I can't see him going to Carolina and I doubt the Chargers hire a defensive HC.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Dec 31, 2023 at 7:15 PM ]
Originally posted by ritz126:

He definitely is. How many jobs are expected to be open however? Right now I have 3, Raiders, Chargers, and Panthers and I can't see him going to Carolina and I doubt the Chargers hire a defensive HC.

Wilks will get a couple of interviews, sham interviews albeit. You're right, Panthers are a hard no and Chargers have their sights on Harbaugh. Who knows what the Raiders are gonna do. I don't even think Mark Davis has a clue. There will be one surprise firing, usually is.

He still sucks
3 lowest rated defenders all d lineman

In a way, that is true, but I would add that this day and age it is hard for a defense to consistently dominate. The rule changes over the years are so favorable to the offense. Perhaps our expectation is a bit unreasonable.

that was our D philosophy under Ryans last year too.

The stats YPG. yards/play, turnovers, sacks etc are all pretty much identical from last year to this year. We are slightly up on sacks from last year while allowing same amount of yards and exact same turnovers
[ Edited by ritz126 on Jan 1, 2024 at 7:28 PM ]
Originally posted by Hangman_52:
He still sucks

Share 49ersWebzone