There are 156 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
He is not as good as the last 2 DCs that we had. But we can still win with him due to the talent that we have.
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
He is not as good as the last 2 DCs that we had. But we can still win with him due to the talent that we have.

Impossible to really compare in such a short amount of time. Their defenses hasn't performed as good as his has this year in 2nd halves, although they were "better."

I'd rather not compare anyway, because they're head coaches and so they're not hireable for the DC spot.

I just need him to compare well to how his peers are performing, and...

Originally posted by random49er:

Impossible to really compare in such a short amount of time. Their defenses hasn't performed as good as his has this year in 2nd halves, although they were "better."

I'd rather not compare anyway, because they're head coaches and so they're not hireable for the DC spot.

Did not know it was even close to that point. Absolutely awesome to hear that stat
Does anybody have a website or app that can break down defensive stats by quarter? Particularly interested in sacks and turnovers.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by random49er:

Did not know it was even close to that point. Absolutely awesome to hear that stat

Explains why my s**t talking always coincides with 1st half play lol
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Explains why my s**t talking always coincides with 1st half play lol

Don't think it's a coincidence, lol. In all but 2 of our 12 wins the opposing team has been down by multiple scores the first time they touched the ball in the 2nd half. Many of those times after an opening drive by our offense.
The constant conversions of the opponent offense on 2nd/3rd and like 15+ yards really irks me. You'd think those downs would be our dline feasting...
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
The constant conversions of the opponent offense on 2nd/3rd and like 15+ yards really irks me. You'd think those downs would be our dline feasting...

Statistically this D is very close to Demecos

but visually looks less than at times - it makes me so confused 🫤

I swear this D doesn't get as much pressure and sacks - especially lately

may be a function of the scheme.

but the secondary in my opinion is much better.

can't argue with his good stats though.

let's hope they bring a nasty version of themselves to the playoffs.
Originally posted by Crown:

its confuses me why people say D is worse than last year its literally the same

i think it's because we don't have a DPOY candidate. We already as a team have more sacks than last year and we still have a game to play left. but pretty much everything yards allowed, yards/play, turnovers, 3rd down conversion % is the same as last year.

Our red zone defense is actually better this year too
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by Crown:

its confuses me why people say D is worse than last year its literally the same

i think it's because we don't have a DPOY candidate. We already as a team have more sacks than last year and we still have a game to play left. but pretty much everything yards allowed, yards/play, turnovers, 3rd down conversion % is the same as last year.

Our red zone defense is actually better this year too

Perhaps it is below people's expectation, considering we added Hargrave, Chase Young, and Gregory. Our personnel is better this season, but the D overall didn't improve enough, if at all.

Originally posted by libertyforever:
Perhaps it is below people's expectation, considering we added Hargrave, Chase Young, and Gregory. Our personnel is better this season, but the D overall didn't improve enough, if at all.
it didn't improve from first overall? how would that be possible?

Also it isnt like we didn't lose some key pieces like Azeez Ebukam and Hufanga. Chase young was a huge upgrade but Gregory is a role player he was cut due to his performance he has had 12 sacks in his last 40 games

I think this defense has performed the same as last year which was elite and still is. and that's as a first-year DC it usually takes a while for defenses to play this well with a new DC. If you remember half the people here wanted Ryans fired and said he was a huge downgrade from Saleh the first half of 2021 and he came from same system as Saleh
it didn't improve from first overall? how would that be possible?

Also it isnt like we didn't lose some key pieces like Azeez Ebukam and Hufanga. Chase young was a huge upgrade but Gregory is a role player he was cut due to his performance he has had 12 sacks in his last 40 games

I think this defense has performed the same as last year which was elite and still is. and that's as a first-year DC it usually takes a while for defenses to play this well with a new DC. If you remember half the people here wanted Ryans fired and said he was a huge downgrade from Saleh the first half of 2021 and he came from same system as Saleh

I don't think Ebukam is the same caliber as Gregory. The lost of Hufanga can be big, that is for sure.

It does take time for a first year DC to acclimate. I said that in the past myself. Although Ryans was promoted internally, he was a rookie DC. Wilks has tons of experience, even a bit of HC experience.

The defense was never 1st overall last season nor this season. I don't know what you are talking about.
[ Edited by libertyforever on Jan 4, 2024 at 8:01 AM ]
I don't think Ebukam is the same caliber as Gregory. The lost of Hufanga can be big, that is for sure.

It does take time for a first year DC to acclimate. I said that in the past myself. Although Ryans was promoted internally, he was a rookie DC. Wilks has tons of experience, even a bit of HC experience.

The defense was never 1st overall last season nor this season. I don't know what you are talking about.

ebukam has more sacks this year than last 3 years of Gregory combined.

The acclimation has more to do with self-scouting because Wilks and the players have to adjust to a new system. It was a bit easier for Ryans because it was the same system (although Ryan obviously has his own tendencies) but Wilks system is much different than Ryans (and Saleh) and despite that stats are same as last year. Just because a coach and system are good and have experience it rarely ever takes to form year 1. Most times you see the jump year 1 to year 2 that is seen on both offense and defense

ebukam has more sacks this year than last 3 years of Gregory combined.

The acclimation has more to do with self-scouting because Wilks and the players have to adjust to a new system. It was a bit easier for Ryans because it was the same system (although Ryan obviously has his own tendencies) but Wilks system is much different than Ryans (and Saleh) and despite that stats are same as last year. Just because a coach and system are good and have experience it rarely ever takes to form year 1. Most times you see the jump year 1 to year 2 that is seen on both offense and defense

Ebukam and Omenihu were much better than Gregory and Ferrell. Not even close imo.

I want an upgrade at edge in the offseason.
I think Wilks has significantly improved since weeks 1-6. People were calling for his head. I also understand when people say "something is off." I feel the same way too especially when it comes to pressures and sacks. I don't care if the stats are similar to last years. I expect to see that Jaguars game version of the DLine all the time. There's too many games and drives where it goes non-existent. Let's hope the rest revamps them. This is where I think the added rest will actually help our team.
Share 49ersWebzone