There are 232 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'm no defensive guru but from what I read it seems that the biggest difference is the way Wilks wants the players to maintain their gaps instead of just attacking the QB. Not all the time but as a basic defense. This may account for the drop i sacks by Bosa and company.
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
I don't think Ebukam is the same caliber as Gregory. The lost of Hufanga can be big, that is for sure.

It does take time for a first year DC to acclimate. I said that in the past myself. Although Ryans was promoted internally, he was a rookie DC. Wilks has tons of experience, even a bit of HC experience.

The defense was never 1st overall last season nor this season. I don't know what you are talking about.

ebukam has more sacks this year than last 3 years of Gregory combined.

Are we taking about what he is this season or what he was in prior seasons? Sounded like we were talking g about different things.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I don't think Ebukam is the same caliber as Gregory. The lost of Hufanga can be big, that is for sure.

It does take time for a first year DC to acclimate. I said that in the past myself. Although Ryans was promoted internally, he was a rookie DC. Wilks has tons of experience, even a bit of HC experience.

The defense was never 1st overall last season nor this season. I don't know what you are talking about.

The acclimation has more to do with self-scouting because Wilks and the players have to adjust to a new system. It was a bit easier for Ryans because it was the same system (although Ryan obviously has his own tendencies) but Wilks system is much different than Ryans (and Saleh) and despite that stats are same as last year. Just because a coach and system are good and have experience it rarely ever takes to form year 1. Most times you see the jump year 1 to year 2 that is seen on both offense and defense

Ebukam and Omenihu were much better than Gregory and Ferrell. Not even close imo.

I want an upgrade at edge in the offseason.

Upgrade from Bosa, Young, Gregory, and Ferrell?
Would be awesome if the got a nice comp pick for him
i still have no idea how Kellen Moore counties to get so much hype. He sucks
I thought after that 3 game losing streak, the defense has been playing great. Ambry Thomas rose out of the ashes to save us from Isiah Oliver.

The acclimation has more to do with self-scouting because Wilks and the players have to adjust to a new system. It was a bit easier for Ryans because it was the same system (although Ryan obviously has his own tendencies) but Wilks system is much different than Ryans (and Saleh) and despite that stats are same as last year. Just because a coach and system are good and have experience it rarely ever takes to form year 1. Most times you see the jump year 1 to year 2 that is seen on both offense and defense

Ebukam and Omenihu were much better than Gregory and Ferrell. Not even close imo.

From Gregory and Ferrell. Ferrell is very underwhelming as a passrusher to me.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Perhaps it is below people's expectation, considering we added Hargrave, Chase Young, and Gregory. Our personnel is better this season, but the D overall didn't improve enough, if at all.

This actually a really good point.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

He needs to stick for another season to get us a comp pick, hope he sticks longer than 2 yrs, this D is just getting started IMO, Wilks has made the DBs look so good, he's helped so much. Anyone wanting to fire Wilks are, and sorry to say this, but idiots, we can do a lot worse than Wilks, plus the players love him.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

So the OC for the Lions isn't even a top 5 OC according to this…

Perhaps it is below people's expectation, considering we added Hargrave, Chase Young, and Gregory. Our personnel is better this season, but the D overall didn't improve enough, if at all.

Chase is a failed experiment. At least he was basically free to find out.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

He needs to stick for another season to get us a comp pick, hope he sticks longer than 2 yrs, this D is just getting started IMO, Wilks has made the DBs look so good, he's helped so much. Anyone wanting to fire Wilks are, and sorry to say this, but idiots, we can do a lot worse than Wilks, plus the players love him.

He's improved. Still feel this D should be much more dominant.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Agree completely with the talent added its been a little disappointing.

From Gregory and Ferrell. Ferrell is very underwhelming as a passrusher to me.

Even though Ferrell is our starter, he is basically our 4th best DE. I don't know that you can get better for a 4th DE on the roster. Same for Gregory as a 3rd DE. We have other positions we need to address that is a bigger priority. Chances are we won't improve in the DE position group, and we will actually get worse as I don't see how we can't keep everyone.

The D has some flaws. One we don't have run stuff up front. AA maybe is our one guy there, and he's hurt. Then you have Brown playing probably before he would ideally be out there, due to injury. Vs WAS we started Ferrell, Gregory got 10 snaps, and Chase 26. Ferrell had 18. So it's kind of a mixed bag opposite Nick. While vulnerable to the run. And perhaps a weak link on the back end, Brown got a bit exposed vs BAL imo. He'll be good in time imo, but he's raw.
Share 49ersWebzone