Hangman in shambles right now
Starting to look like another 3rd round pick
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by YACBros85:

What's hangman?
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

I dunno, I doubt it this season. I bet it comes next season. Saleh gets canned after Rodgers stinks it up and blames media, coaches, big pharm and Jimmy Kimmel. We take Saleh back, all is balanced.
Originally posted by Youngone:

I dunno, I doubt it this season. I bet it comes next season. Saleh gets canned after Rodgers stinks it up and blames media, coaches, big pharm and Jimmy Kimmel. We take Saleh back, all is balanced.

We just keep swapping those 2 with the Jets every year. 3rd round glitch
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

What's hangman?

Hangman_52

he's been saying Wilks sucks all season, wonder how he will take the news here..
I'm not sure how the rankings are compiled but correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we ranked 8 in defense in all major statistics? I thought I saw the ranking somewhere over the past week. It seems different sites different rankings.

If the answer is yes, then I'm not sure how that number two ranking of Wilks applies. Not saying I want him gone. Need to see the playoffs but the eye test says we have taken a fair step backwards from the last couple of seasons.
[ Edited by 9erson3 on Jan 4, 2024 at 11:40 AM ]
Originally posted by Zachary:

Sounds like an awesome glitch.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Zachary:

The Konami code of the NFL.

Originally posted by 9erson3:
I'm not sure how the rankings are compiled but correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we ranked 8 in defense in all major statistics? I thought I saw the ranking somewhere over the past week. It seems different sites different rankings.

If the answer is yes, then I'm not sure how that number two ranking of Wilks applies. Not saying I want him gone. Need to see the playoffs but the eye test says we have taken a fair step backwards from the last couple of seasons.

The ranks are from players, who vote.

D is most commonly I would say, measured by either points or yards. We are 2nd in points and 7th in yards. We are actually more highly ranked in points as a defense, than we are as an offense. Offense is 3 in points, 2nd in yards.

Now when you can roll out a top 3 offense AND a top 3 defense and bring that to postseason play, that's quite a recipe..
Originally posted by 9erson3:
I'm not sure how the rankings are compiled but correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we ranked 8 in defense in all major statistics? I thought I saw the ranking somewhere over the past week.

they surveyed like 2000 players and NFL personnel around the league

well we are ranked 2nd in ppg (pretty much same as last year in terms of actual points) most other stats are exact same as last year but i think a lot of that especially yards are inflated because we get to such a huge lead by 3rd Quarter and by then we are jsut preventing big plays and force other team to burn the clock.

I think people eye test is failing them because they see other teams move the ball when we have such a large lead (2+ scores) but even then we allow 5 yards/play this year to 4.9 yards/play last year and allow 17 ppg this year to 17 ppg last year

Where we actually took a huge step forward is our red zone TD % allowed which has allowed our D to allow less TDs than last year.
i honestly think the only difference is we dont have a DPOY canidate this year compared to last year
Originally posted by ritz126:

well we are ranked 2nd in ppg (pretty much same as last year in terms of actual points) most other stats are exact same as last year but i think a lot of that especially yards are inflated because we get to such a huge lead by 3rd Quarter and by then we are jsut preventing big plays and force other team to burn the clock.

I think people eye test is failing them because they see other teams move the ball when we have such a large lead (2+ scores) but even then we allow 5 yards/play this year to 4.9 yards/play last year and allow 17 ppg this year to 17 ppg last year

Where we actually took a huge step forward is our red zone TD % allowed which has allowed our D to allow less TDs than last year.
i honestly think the only difference is we dont have a DPOY canidate this year compared to last year

Huf is a big difference also, he was a complete force last season, and bless him, but he showed up with the cyst and didn't look right all year, then got another injury. So being down Huf hurts. But perhaps thanks to Wilks, the young DBs have taken big strides forward, like Ambry, Lenoir, etc. Ward playing very high level, he took his game up a notch too.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

What's hangman?

Hangman_52

he's been saying Wilks sucks all season, wonder how he will take the news here..

Honestly, all of our D coordinators make idiotic mistakes early in the season. His all-out blitz right before half time of the Minnesota game was ridiculous.

But his Jalen Hurts game plan was absolutely brilliant. Best ever 49er performance against a running QB. Single-handedly wrote the book on how to stop Philly and probably ended Siriani's tenure with Eagles.
Originally posted by ritz126:

Huf is a big difference also, he was a complete force last season, and bless him, but he showed up with the cyst and didn't look right all year, then got another injury. So being down Huf hurts. But perhaps thanks to Wilks, the young DBs have taken big strides forward, like Ambry, Lenoir, etc. Ward playing very high level, he took his game up a notch too.

All DB have taken a huge step forward it seems
Having Huf, Brown and Gipson (if he doesn't retire) next year will be the best S team in the league. I really like Brown and Huf as our long term starters. I think our LB although still elite took a bit of a hit after losing Azeez and our EDGE depth is worse than last year although our starters are better. I think we have the most sacks in NFL since trading for Chase but i dont have stats to back that up

edit: Found this

However, the rest of the 49ers' pass rush numbers have improved during Young's seven games. Before Young's arrival, San Francisco had 18 sacks and 90 quarterback pressures in eight games. Since Young joined them, the 49ers have had 27 sacks and 101 pressures.
[ Edited by ritz126 on Jan 4, 2024 at 11:54 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone