There are 185 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Youngone:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Starting to look like another 3rd round pick

I dunno, I doubt it this season. I bet it comes next season. Saleh gets canned after Rodgers stinks it up and blames media, coaches, big pharm and Jimmy Kimmel. We take Saleh back, all is balanced.

I think the issue is that there are going to be a lot of open jobs and there really aren't any "obvious" HC candidates. The best one is maybe harbaugh.

so a lot of teams are gonna settle. I'd be happy for wilks but I'd really like to see him stay another year or more. I think Baltimore's coordinator will get a job, or at least a lot of interviews.

i like the idea of Kyle having a veteran D coordinator for several years. Not this revolving door at DC.
Originally posted by 9erson3:
I'm not sure how the rankings are compiled but correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we ranked 8 in defense in all major statistics? I thought I saw the ranking somewhere over the past week. It seems different sites different rankings.

If the answer is yes, then I'm not sure how that number two ranking of Wilks applies. Not saying I want him gone. Need to see the playoffs but the eye test says we have taken a fair step backwards from the last couple of seasons.

Defensive rankings

PPG- 2nd
INT's- 2nd
TD's- 2nd
TO's- 3rd
Rush yds/game- 3rd
Passer rating- 4th
Yards/pass att- 5th
Yds/game- 7th
Yds/play- 8th
Sacks- 8th
Pass yds/game- 15th
Yds/rush- 18th
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Hangman in shambles right now

What's hangman?

Hangman_52

he's been saying Wilks sucks all season, wonder how he will take the news here..

Honestly, all of our D coordinators make idiotic mistakes early in the season. His all-out blitz right before half time of the Minnesota game was ridiculous.

But his Jalen Hurts game plan was absolutely brilliant. Best ever 49er performance against a running QB. Single-handedly wrote the book on how to stop Philly and probably ended Siriani's tenure with Eagles.

Maybe but that was a fluke play with Addison. Ward had the coverage, the INT if not a PD, but Addison wrestled it all away like a boss.
Originally posted by 9erson3:
I'm not sure how the rankings are compiled but correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we ranked 8 in defense in all major statistics? I thought I saw the ranking somewhere over the past week. It seems different sites different rankings.

If the answer is yes, then I'm not sure how that number two ranking of Wilks applies. Not saying I want him gone. Need to see the playoffs but the eye test says we have taken a fair step backwards from the last couple of seasons.

Defensive rankings

PPG- 2nd
INT's- 2nd
TD's- 2nd
TO's- 3rd
Rush yds/game- 3rd
Passer rating- 4th
Yards/pass att- 5th
Yds/game- 7th
Yds/play- 8th
Sacks- 8th
Pass yds/game- 15th
Yds/rush- 18th

Yeah he took over a stacked D, that was a top defense the previous year. But he came here and learned our system without any of his own guys on staff. That's incredible, and has won everyone over, the players love him. The DBs are playing the best we've seen in a long time.

He had some mid season frustrations but he's a really good coach that's loved by the players. I love Kyle having a veteran coach at DC instead of newbies. He can lean on wilks for advice as a HC too.
Originally posted by 49erKing:

What's hangman?

Hangman_52

he's been saying Wilks sucks all season, wonder how he will take the news here..

Honestly, all of our D coordinators make idiotic mistakes early in the season. His all-out blitz right before half time of the Minnesota game was ridiculous.

But his Jalen Hurts game plan was absolutely brilliant. Best ever 49er performance against a running QB. Single-handedly wrote the book on how to stop Philly and probably ended Siriani's tenure with Eagles.

Maybe but that was a fluke play with Addison. Ward had the coverage, the INT if not a PD, but Addison wrestled it all away like a boss.

Fans dialed in on that moment, but the reality is all players have plays they would like back, and all play callers also. KS talked recently about wishing he could do an end of half situation different, and it was partly based on not knowing the rule, which they now know, regarding clock in an intentional grounding situation. So that's just the reality. You are correct, that while the call was not correct, the execution of the play is an INT, but for Ward having the ball taken off him. Ward said it himself. Now that doesn't justify the call, yet it is the reality..
Originally posted by 49erKing:

What's hangman?

Hangman_52

Realistically, it was a risky play that didn't need to be taken. At that time, you should of been making sure nothing deep happens, not going all out to try and prevent a field goal.

It was a great play by Addison. Ward almost had it, but no excuse for taking an all or nothing. Great play by their WR, poor play calling.
Yards per pass attempt allowed under Kyle.

Wilks
2023- 5th- 5.9

Ryans
2022- 10th- 6.3
2021- 11th- 6.4

Saleh
2020- 5th- 6.2
2019- 2nd- 5.4
2018- 14th- 6.9
2017- 24th- 6.9

Wilks
2023- 5th- 5.9

Ryans
2022- 10th- 6.3
2021- 11th- 6.4

Saleh
2020- 5th- 6.2
2019- 2nd- 5.4
2018- 14th- 6.9
2017- 24th- 6.9

Looks good. The rush yards per attempt though…

It's a good thing we've pretty consistently buried teams on the scoreboard.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Wilks
2023- 5th- 5.9

Ryans
2022- 10th- 6.3
2021- 11th- 6.4

Saleh
2020- 5th- 6.2
2019- 2nd- 5.4
2018- 14th- 6.9
2017- 24th- 6.9

I was just wondering about this, and my impression that we are having issues vs run this year, a lot more so than say 2019, with AA and DeFo, however, check this in terms of YPA.

2023 - 4.3 / 18th
2019 - 4.5 / 23rd

didn't really line up with my memory, I thought we were more stout in 2019,
I guess the recipe is get out in front, so they are chasing the game
Interesting collection of stats.

I agree that the eye test doesn't seem to live up to the numbers.....

However, we're gonna find out over the next few weeks how good this defense really is.

Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Wilks
2023- 5th- 5.9

Ryans
2022- 10th- 6.3
2021- 11th- 6.4

Saleh
2020- 5th- 6.2
2019- 2nd- 5.4
2018- 14th- 6.9
2017- 24th- 6.9

I was just wondering about this, and my impression that we are having issues vs run this year, a lot more so than say 2019, with AA and DeFo, however, check this in terms of YPA.

2023 - 4.3 / 18th
2019 - 4.5 / 23rd

It was the first time under this regime that we had a dominating defense. It exceeded our expectation, thus the defense looked much better in our eyes than reality that year.
Originally posted by tankle104:

I dunno, I doubt it this season. I bet it comes next season. Saleh gets canned after Rodgers stinks it up and blames media, coaches, big pharm and Jimmy Kimmel. We take Saleh back, all is balanced.

I think the issue is that there are going to be a lot of open jobs and there really aren't any "obvious" HC candidates. The best one is maybe harbaugh.

so a lot of teams are gonna settle. I'd be happy for wilks but I'd really like to see him stay another year or more. I think Baltimore's coordinator will get a job, or at least a lot of interviews.

i like the idea of Kyle having a veteran D coordinator for several years. Not this revolving door at DC.

I know the Steelers had that all time great D Coodinator...I think his name was Dick Blow or something like that. He was a constant that you could count on every year there. He also never wanted to leave after he posted top 5 defenses year after year.
Originally posted by tankle104:

I don't think Wilks is getting a HC job in the NFL any time soon or ever. I can certainly be wrong, and I do want him to get that chance in the future, but I just don't think he will.

2023 - 4.3 / 18th
2019 - 4.5 / 23rd

Yea our run defense wasn't very good in '19. Our pass defense was elite however, especially against pocket QBs. Last year and year before however it was really good. Over a yard less than this season in 22, and in many more games where team's weren't forced to abandon it by being down multiple scores in the 2nd half.
Originally posted by Silky:
I know the Steelers had that all time great D Coodinator...I think his name was Dick Blow or something like that. He was a constant that you could count on every year there. He also never wanted to leave after he posted top 5 defenses year after year.

Dick LeBeau. Close enough, lol
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Jan 4, 2024 at 12:58 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone