There are 138 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
I thought I read we wouldn't get a 3rd round comp pick if he leaves to become a head coach until next yr bc he has to be around for 2+ yrs, maybe I'm wrong so anyone know ?
Originally posted by jersey49er:
I thought I read we wouldn't get a 3rd round comp pick if he leaves to become a head coach until next yr bc he has to be around for 2+ yrs, maybe I'm wrong so anyone know ?

It was mentioned earlier in a different thread. Believe that's correct
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
It was mentioned earlier in a different thread. Believe that's correct

It is correct. Must be in place for 2 years.

Would get a 3 for Lynn if someone hires him however.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
He's improved. Still feel this D should be much more dominant.

The D has some flaws. One we don't have run stuff up front. AA maybe is our one guy there, and he's hurt. Then you have Brown playing probably before he would ideally be out there, due to injury. Vs WAS we started Ferrell, Gregory got 10 snaps, and Chase 26. Ferrell had 18. So it's kind of a mixed bag opposite Nick. While vulnerable to the run. And perhaps a weak link on the back end, Brown got a bit exposed vs BAL imo. He'll be good in time imo, but he's raw.

We kind of had that run stuffer in DJ but he's done. I'ved always wanted that big guy in the middle like Wilfork or Ngata. Some guy that's just hard to move when your trying to stop a short gain.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
He's improved. Still feel this D should be much more dominant.

The D has some flaws. One we don't have run stuff up front. AA maybe is our one guy there, and he's hurt. Then you have Brown playing probably before he would ideally be out there, due to injury. Vs WAS we started Ferrell, Gregory got 10 snaps, and Chase 26. Ferrell had 18. So it's kind of a mixed bag opposite Nick. While vulnerable to the run. And perhaps a weak link on the back end, Brown got a bit exposed vs BAL imo. He'll be good in time imo, but he's raw.

We kind of had that run stuffer in DJ but he's done. I'ved always wanted that big guy in the middle like Wilfork or Ngata. Some guy that's just hard to move when your trying to stop a short gain.

Yup.. maybe SJD can help
The pass rush last year was pretty stagnate outside of Bosa. So the sack numbers being comparable to last year isn't saying much to me. We've traded for two DE's and haven't really seen any tangible results. Hopefully Gregory and Young can make a difference in the playoffs. Not to mention the big bucks paid for Hargrave. These guys should be better than last year.
Originally posted by lamontb:
The pass rush last year was pretty stagnate outside of Bosa. So the sack numbers being comparable to last year isn't saying much to me. We've traded for two DE's and haven't really seen any tangible results. Hopefully Gregory and Young can make a difference in the playoffs. Not to mention the big bucks paid for Hargrave. These guys should be better than last year.

My thoughts exactly.
Originally posted by NCommand:

My thoughts exactly.

To me Gregory played 10 snaps, he's never been an elite producer. Young also isn't nearly on the level he was pre all his injuries. These guys don't radically change what we do, they are just here and it's nice in postseason, to have them come out on pass downs and rush the passer. Maybe they'll get home at a key moment. Notice Ferrell starts over them both,

Hargrave has 7 sacks, and has been as advertised, as pass rush from the DT. He's in no means a run stuffer.

My thoughts exactly.

To me Gregory played 10 snaps, he's never been an elite producer. Young also isn't nearly on the level he was pre all his injuries. These guys don't radically change what we do, they are just here and it's nice in postseason, to have them come out on pass downs and rush the passer. Maybe they'll get home at a key moment. Notice Ferrell starts over them both,

Hargrave has 7 sacks, and has been as advertised, as pass rush from the DT. He's in no means a run stuffer.

Hope so bro b/c last year the pass rush wasn't great in the playoffs. Bosa was a no show. Omenihu was our best d lineman.

My thoughts exactly.

Hope so bro b/c last year the pass rush wasn't great in the playoffs. Bosa was a no show. Omenihu was our best d lineman.

If we had rook Chase Young, now that would be something, but I have yet to see that kind of impact, and it's likely WAS Commanders don't let that kind of guy walk
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Jan 4, 2024 at 2:31 PM ]

My thoughts exactly.

It's gotten much better since the Young trade. 29 sacks whichwould be just over 61 for a 17 game season
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by 49erKing:
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Hangman in shambles right now

What's hangman?

Hangman_52

he's been saying Wilks sucks all season, wonder how he will take the news here..

Honestly, all of our D coordinators make idiotic mistakes early in the season. His all-out blitz right before half time of the Minnesota game was ridiculous.

But his Jalen Hurts game plan was absolutely brilliant. Best ever 49er performance against a running QB. Single-handedly wrote the book on how to stop Philly and probably ended Siriani's tenure with Eagles.

Maybe but that was a fluke play with Addison. Ward had the coverage, the INT if not a PD, but Addison wrestled it all away like a boss.

Realistically, it was a risky play that didn't need to be taken. At that time, you should of been making sure nothing deep happens, not going all out to try and prevent a field goal.

It was a great play by Addison. Ward almost had it, but no excuse for taking an all or nothing. Great play by their WR, poor play calling.

3rd and 6 from their own 40 with 16 seconds left and no timeouts. Even the FG was extremely unlikely.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

So the OC for the Lions isn't even a top 5 OC according to this…

Hmm...
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Jan 5, 2024 at 12:40 AM ]

Good post!
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
I don't think Ebukam is the same caliber as Gregory. The lost of Hufanga can be big, that is for sure.

It does take time for a first year DC to acclimate. I said that in the past myself. Although Ryans was promoted internally, he was a rookie DC. Wilks has tons of experience, even a bit of HC experience.

The defense was never 1st overall last season nor this season. I don't know what you are talking about.

ebukam has more sacks this year than last 3 years of Gregory combined.

The acclimation has more to do with self-scouting because Wilks and the players have to adjust to a new system. It was a bit easier for Ryans because it was the same system (although Ryan obviously has his own tendencies) but Wilks system is much different than Ryans (and Saleh) and despite that stats are same as last year. Just because a coach and system are good and have experience it rarely ever takes to form year 1. Most times you see the jump year 1 to year 2 that is seen on both offense and defense

Ebukam and Omenihu were much better than Gregory and Ferrell. Not even close imo.

I want an upgrade at edge in the offseason.
Whatever scouting allowed them to find Omenihu and Ebukam and make those trades, they need to do something similar to identify those types of players in the draft. The good news is they were 4th and 5th round picks, so we ideally wouldn't have to Invest a lot. Also interesting that Jordan Willis is still at home. I'd absolutely give him a look.

Originally posted by Silky:
I think Wilks has significantly improved since weeks 1-6. People were calling for his head. I also understand when people say "something is off." I feel the same way too especially when it comes to pressures and sacks. I don't care if the stats are similar to last years. I expect to see that Jaguars game version of the DLine all the time. There's too many games and drives where it goes non-existent. Let's hope the rest revamps them. This is where I think the added rest will actually help our team.
Agree on the Jags game. We should be killing QBs. But that was a mindset that both Saleh and Ryans had. They wanted to get after the QB. It doesn't seem to be Wilks's M.O.

Originally posted by Youngone:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Starting to look like another 3rd round pick

I dunno, I doubt it this season. I bet it comes next season. Saleh gets canned after Rodgers stinks it up and blames media, coaches, big pharm and Jimmy Kimmel. We take Saleh back, all is balanced.

Would love Saleh back. Or Ulbrich if that staff is let go. But I'd want to keep the top level secondary play with a more aggressive D line. Short of elite runners like Jackson, Hurts, and Murray, we should have all QVs running for their lives.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Yards per pass attempt allowed under Kyle.

Wilks
2023- 5th- 5.9

Ryans
2022- 10th- 6.3
2021- 11th- 6.4

Saleh
2020- 5th- 6.2
2019- 2nd- 5.4
2018- 14th- 6.9
2017- 24th- 6.9

Looks good. The rush yards per attempt though…

It's a good thing we've pretty consistently buried teams on the scoreboard.

I was just wondering about this, and my impression that we are having issues vs run this year, a lot more so than say 2019, with AA and DeFo, however, check this in terms of YPA.

2023 - 4.3 / 18th
2019 - 4.5 / 23rd

didn't really line up with my memory, I thought we were more stout in 2019,
I guess the recipe is get out in front, so they are chasing the game

It was the first time under this regime that we had a dominating defense. It exceeded our expectation, thus the defense looked much better in our eyes than reality that year.

I knew that run D was a weakness. Buckner is glamorize as a DT, but he is what he's always been- an elite pass rusher and average run defender. The Chiefs being able to run on us the way they did gave a control over the game we couldn't afford them having.

We need to get two young run stuffer on this team to eliminate thst threat of a run.
Share 49ersWebzone