LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 169 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by DrEll:
Good riddance. Hope he gets it after the first interview

Statistically comparable to Demeco but good riddance?

bad take.

once he leaves, he will be appreciated. Ppl hated on Saleh and Ryans too.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Not going to lie i was a little suspicious of Saleh but I loved Demeco. Always trusted him.

Wilks has improved the secondary for sure. Rushing the passer seems down but maybe i just dont understand the scheme yet.
Not going to lie i was a little suspicious of Saleh but I loved Demeco. Always trusted him.

Wilks has improved the secondary for sure. Rushing the passer seems down but maybe i just dont understand the scheme yet.

When were you suspicious of Saleh is a key question. Lots of people were when he didn't have the most talented roster in the league to work with.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Jan 8, 2024 at 8:52 PM ]
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

When were you suspicious of Saleh is a key question. Lots of people were when he didn't have the most talented roster in the league to work with.

for sure. he grew on me and i absolutely respected him at his peak and thought he deserved the HC job.

too bad he had to go to a poverty franchise.

Also didnt help that he took Zack Wilson (if that was his choice)
People overlook character and poise in the drunkenness of physical skill sets.
Zack always was a goofball that wasnt comfortable around his own players or in his own skin. To this day his pressers are robotic and disengaged.

I saw that disaster coming a mile away.

Hope Saleh gets rodgers rolling next year and makes a run at a playoff spot.
for sure. he grew on me and i absolutely respected him at his peak and thought he deserved the HC job.

Zack always was a goofball that wasnt comfortable around his own players or in his own skin. To this day his pressers are robotic and disengaged.

Their defense has been good. He doesn't have control over personnel as far as I'm aware. Would think he has input.

Maybe it goes South next year and we get a chance to rehire him
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame

Their defense has been good. He doesn't have control over personnel as far as I'm aware. Would think he has input.

Maybe it goes South next year and we get a chance to rehire him

Would love him back if Wilks gets a job.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I was reading that ATL plans to go after Harbaugh. Wilks has no shot

Everyone will kick the tires. But the combo of money and personnel control paired with desperate owner has me thinking Raiders.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Jan 8, 2024 at 10:34 PM ]

we have more sacks than last year
I'm going to be a bit upset if he comes in significantly changes the scheme only to walk the next year. It can't be good for development of young players if they keep changing schemes
Originally posted by Since07:
I'm going to be a bit upset if he comes in significantly changes the scheme only to walk the next year. It can't be good for development of young players if they keep changing schemes

i think he will stay for another year he's gone next year is my guess.

People have to be looking at the panthers at end of 2022 and then this year and see how good of a coach he is

I just checked and the Niners finished tied for 7th in sacks. I was a little surprised because it seems like they haven't been getting many.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I just checked and the Niners finished tied for 7th in sacks. I was a little surprised because it seems like they haven't been getting many.

I know right?

the stats are all there.

But when you watch the game it feels like swiss cheese that cant tackle.

Its the weirdest thing ever.
Originally posted by DrEll:
Good riddance. Hope he gets it after the first interview

Statistically comparable to Demeco but good riddance?

bad take.

This

I think Saleh is an excellent rah-rah guy, very good at motivating and man-management (which are, of course, very important). X and O's I was never fully convinced by - he seemed to fluctuate between very aggressive and very soft calls. Would look good when it worked, but would whiff quite a bit too. DeMeco I think has the dual package.

Edit: I think the overall point is a solid one though - both Saleh and DeMeco were given a bit of flack by the fanbase early on. Wilks has come into a 'win now' situation, so the fuse is understandably short, but it may take a little longer to truly asses his ability as he adjusts to our squad and its needs.
[ Edited by joeknows on Jan 9, 2024 at 8:03 AM ]
With Ben Johnson and other rising stars coordinators available plus well known outsiders like Harbaugh, Wilks will not get hired as Head Coach this year. This will give him a big chip on his shoulder and he will make our defense number one next year.
Share 49ersWebzone