Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
s**t already getting interviewed!!! I thought he would be here at least two seasons. If Wilks leaves, Ron Rivera it is.

Rivera hasn't been a DC in 15 years. I don't know why people suddenly think he'd do a great job. If anything he's shown himself to be inflexible and stubborn.

If Wilks leaves, I want someone young with fresh ideas that wants to prove themselves and move up the coaching ranks, nor some retread fossil.

Yeah!! Get Rex Ryan in here!

I'd go hard after Zimmer

The Zimmers are the Shanahans of defense. They have an excellent system and specialize in drafting players that fit that system. Would be a perfect fit IMO
Originally posted by All22:
The Zimmers are the Shanahans of defense. They have an excellent system and specialize in drafting players that fit that system. Would be a perfect fit IMO

Zimmer was still doing a good job of calling defense a few years ago but I don't know how much he'd want the grind of full-time coaching again, especially after his son died a year ago. He's consulted for a couple teams since leaving Minnesota but there's no indication he's looking to return full-time.
He's doing pretty good after a rocky start. But we need Armstead back. We can't run stop without him.
I hope some stupid team picks him up as a Coach so we can get someone better next season
Originally posted by Hangman_52:
I hope some stupid team picks him up as a Coach so we can get someone better next season

Agreed. I know the Wilks defenders point to his numbers but this defense is loaded and shouldn't have been taking the backseat to the Browns defense all year.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Agreed. I know the Wilks defenders point to his numbers but this defense is loaded and shouldn't have been taking the backseat to the Browns defense all year.
Same here didn't Carolina say they regretted not sticking with him last year?

Those pesky numbers.

Loaded defense lol. Well if we are talking about names on the jersey then yes. The guys that the team couldn't keep have hurt this season's team. The depth is pitiful right now. Thank goodness Wilks is the first DC or position coach that actually taught our guy proper DB skills or it would be horrible. The man is a fantastic DC and by all accounts a true leader of men. He deserves a real shot to be a HC but hopefully not this season. He has young DBs to groom for the future of this team first.
  • Cosmo

The secondary has always been the weak link on this defense, but think everyone hoped that would improve under Wilks, who was supposedly a great DB coach. Other than Ward the secondary doesn't seem any better, and now the D line seems more out of whack. Is that all his doing?
Originally posted by Cosmo:

The secondary has always been the weak link on this defense, but think everyone hoped that would improve under Wilks, who was supposedly a great DB coach. Other than Ward the secondary doesn't seem any better, and now the D line seems more out of whack. Is that all his doing?

Thomas and Lenoir both are significantly better, and we leaned on a rook as starting safety for the home stretch,

Lolwut??

Our DBs have actually been pretty good this year. Thomas looked like a bust prior to this season and Lenoir has played well as in two different roles, dude barely got any playing time before this season and for a 5th round pick is playing great.

Part of the problem is not all the 'numbers' are considered, and they are rarely* given context. Applies to pretty much any football argument.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Jan 9, 2024 at 4:31 PM ]
  • Cosmo
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

Lolwut??

Our DBs have actually been pretty good this year. Thomas looked like a bust prior to this season and Lenoir has played well as in two different roles, dude barely got any playing time before this season and for a 5th round pick is playing great.

Would you say the pass defense is better than last year? Currently ranked 19th. Last season 13th.
[ Edited by Cosmo on Jan 9, 2024 at 5:10 PM ]
Would you say the pass defense is better than last year? Currently ranked 19th. Last season 13th.

ranked in what?

we allowed 3789 pass yds and 20 pass TDs last year, with 20 INTs
3642 and 20 TDs this year with 22 INTs

yds per attempt we are 5th this year
11th last year
Share 49ersWebzone