There are 258 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
He shouldn't be fired but he's the equivalent of a game manager in coaching form. It's easy to be good when purdy buries teams 2-3 scores by the middle of the third quarter. He only has to coach for just over a half...

I also didn't see any stone wall performances. It's either our defense was overrated or wilks is not getting their potential, whichever side you want to believe.

Going into the season with bosa paired with Hargrave and armstead I had the belief we would have been much better than last year...

Hard to take anyone seriously when they say the coach only has to coach for just over a half. True webzone stuff!!!

Do you think guys like Hargrave and Young lived up to expectations? I don't. Not saying they were bad but they didn't perform as well as I thought. I don't blame Wilks for that.
He shouldn't be fired but he's the equivalent of a game manager in coaching form. It's easy to be good when purdy buries teams 2-3 scores by the middle of the third quarter. He only has to coach for just over a half...

I also didn't see any stone wall performances. It's either our defense was overrated or wilks is not getting their potential, whichever side you want to believe.

Going into the season with bosa paired with Hargrave and armstead I had the belief we would have been much better than last year...

It's hard to be better than last year, since we were #1. Lol I did expect our pass rush to be more effective. I think a lot of it can be explained - namely that for the first half of the season we relied on Jackson (opposite bosa) and had terrible depth. Meanwhile, our corners were trying to figure out what they hell they were doing.

imo, the defense got a lot better as the year went on, but we did seem to have issues with exhaustion - which isn't sometbing I've seen from the group in past years. They were a lot more consistent.

idk if it's cause they're more of a veteran group now and aren't amped up about every game.

In the playoffs, we will finally get a good healthy stretch of bosa, hargrave, armstead, young - then gregory as the backup. That should give us a large improvement. We've only had thay whole group for a few games since young/gregory came mid season and armsyead has been out since week 13.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by tankle104:

It's hard to be better than last year, since we were #1. Lol I did expect our pass rush to be more effective. I think a lot of it can be explained - namely that for the first half of the season we relied on Jackson (opposite bosa) and had terrible depth. Meanwhile, our corners were trying to figure out what they hell they were doing.

imo, the defense got a lot better as the year went on, but we did seem to have issues with exhaustion - which isn't sometbing I've seen from the group in past years. They were a lot more consistent.

idk if it's cause they're more of a veteran group now and aren't amped up about every game.

In the playoffs, we will finally get a good healthy stretch of bosa, hargrave, armstead, young - then gregory as the backup. That should give us a large improvement. We've only had thay whole group for a few games since young/gregory came mid season and armsyead has been out since week 13.

You know you bring up a good point on exhaustion. I dont know if thats really it or something else but i remember last year closing out the season the D was hitting way harder, wrapping up tackles better and really dominate.

ii wonder if the defense has anything to do with keeping opponents score down
Originally posted by Crown:
You know you bring up a good point on exhaustion. I dont know if thats really it or something else but i remember last year closing out the season the D was hitting way harder, wrapping up tackles better and really dominate.

Yeah, it's very strange. Idk if ever seen a 49ers defense burnout after 4 games or so. Lol especially go from elite to average to elite to average. Like if we didn't get the bye - I'd seriously question if the defense could hold up in the playoffs.

i think this defense is very very good. I'm not worried about them since at most we will play 3 more games and they're rested, but the issue is strange.
If Wilks leaves for whatever reason, I personally want our next DC to be a passionate sideline cheerleader of sorts. Similar to how Saleh and Ryans were.

Experience and Resume isn't as important to me.

In your face, passionate, sideline presence, supportive, enthusiastic and energetic is what we need again!
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
If Wilks leaves for whatever reason, I personally want our next DC to be a passionate sideline cheerleader of sorts. Similar to how Saleh and Ryans were.

In your face, passionate, sideline presence, supportive, enthusiastic and energetic is what we need again!

That sounds like Pete Carrol.

Why are these important? Are you implying Kyle lacks passion, sideline presence, and energy?
Originally posted by libertyforever:

Why are these important? Are you implying Kyle lacks passion, sideline presence, and energy?

Yeah, lmao I'm looking for a great and respected coach. We have a cheer leading squad already. Not all players are motivated by some guy running up and down the field. The reason why it was so awesome with Demeco is because it was authentic.

i like having an older experienced DC who is very respected as a man/coach. He also had to come here and learn our system with NONE of his own assistants. That's very difficult. I think he's done a great job as the seasons gone on and I love what he's done with our secondary.

Yeah who needs scheming and calling the right defensive plays when you can just get a coach to yell or high five the players.

I won't lose any sleep if Wilks leaves. There are always bright young coaches redy to step up. We've seen it several times.
  • Cosmo
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
Would you say the pass defense is better than last year? Currently ranked 19th. Last season 13th.

ranked in what?

we allowed 3789 pass yds and 20 pass TDs last year, with 20 INTs
3642 and 20 TDs this year with 22 INTs

yds per attempt we are 5th this year
11th last year
key is not to get wrapped up in rankings

This is correct. After a deeper dive, they've allowed fewer passing yards per game but still ranked lower. I haven't called to fire him, but the defense doesn't seem as dominant as past years. Hopefully if improves in the post season.
Niners only allowed 24+ points twice this season.....31 to Bengals, 29 to Cardinals.

Pretty good.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

That sounds like Pete Carrol.

He's available now!!! our next DC
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Niners only allowed 24+ points twice this season.....31 to Bengals, 29 to Cardinals.

Pretty good.

33 to the Ravens??
Share 49ersWebzone