There are 231 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Ppl don't realize that the 49ers defenders love Wilks, and also we won't get a comp pick unless he sticks for another year, I mean who out there is better than Wilks that is available? I say keep Wilks, the defense has been very very good, no it's not 2022, but since Chase came over our sack totals have went up.

We basically have a HC level operator, on the D side, paired with KS. That's exactly what you want.
with the talent we have.. there are a good amount of true Defensive HCs available that could step in easily

Does this apply across the board for SF or just Wilks?
Ppl don't realize that the 49ers defenders love Wilks, and also we won't get a comp pick unless he sticks for another year, I mean who out there is better than Wilks that is available? I say keep Wilks, the defense has been very very good, no it's not 2022, but since Chase came over our sack totals have went up.

We basically have a HC level operator, on the D side, paired with KS. That's exactly what you want.
with the talent we have.. there are a good amount of true Defensive HCs available that could step in easily

lol.. you should be ashamed of yourself for asking that

lol.. you should be ashamed of yourself for asking that

just asking questions notice the non response

Whats the actual question?

Are there other quality coaches who could work with our offense? Of course there are. Would they be capable of leading them to some of the best efficiency numbers we've all time? Seems unlikely.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Whats the actual question?

Are there other quality coaches who could work with our offense? Of course there are. Would they be capable of leading them to some of the best efficiency numbers we've all time? Seems unlikely.

How's the DVOA looking from mid season to now? I remember we had predictions, and perhaps we can revisit. Points held up pretty strong. Although we were 1 for a while and now 3. We happen to be 3 on both sides of the ball in points.
How's the DVOA looking from mid season to now? I remember we had predictions, and perhaps we can revisit. Points held up pretty strong. Although we were 1 for a while and now 3. We happen to be 3 on both sides of the ball in points.

We're number 1 on offense in DVOA (9th all time) and EPA/play

We're 4th on defense in DVOA and tied for 7th in EPA/play.

We're number 1 on offense in DVOA (9th all time) and EPA/play

We're 4th on defense in DVOA and tied for 7th in EPA/play.

That's a winning recipe. So we rebounded quite a bit on D from midseason. The feared regression to mid pack on D via points, with DVOA being a lead metric, and ppg trailing, was not to be. If anything DVOA caught up to our D PPG more or less,
That's a winning recipe. So we rebounded quite a bit on D from midseason. The feared regression to mid pack on D via points, with DVOA being a lead metric, and ppg trailing, was not to be. If anything DVOA caught up to our D PPG more or less,

I def think we played better in the 2nd half of the season after the addition of CY and the adjustments we made during the bye. We also didn't face the same quality of offenses in the 2nd half of the season.

I don't put a ton of stock in PPG being a comprehensive measure of the quality of the defense. The all time efficient offense is going to protect our defense, no matter what level they're playing at. That's happened all year and as long as that continues, it will no doubt be a winning recipe.

I def think we played better in the 2nd half of the season after the addition of CY and the adjustments we made during the bye. We also didn't face the same quality of offenses in the 2nd half of the season.

I don't put a ton of stock in PPG being a comprehensive measure of the quality of the defense. The all time efficient offense is going to protect our defense, no matter what level they're playing at. That's happened all year and as long as that continues, it will no doubt be a winning recipe.

Complementary football, the O helps the D, and vice versa. Not interested in an O vs D debate, not wanting to compliment the O for having a great year on D either.
Complementary football, the O helps the D, and vice versa. Not interested in an O vs D debate, not wanting to compliment the O for having a great year on D either.

There's not really much of a debate. The offense has been all time efficient and the defense has been good. Performance of D also not solely on the DC. We've all seen uncharacteristic tackling performances for example.

But back to your question that was lost in the last couple of replies (after you complained of non answers, lol), what do you think would be easier to replace between our OC/DC? Is it more likely we could find a DC to lead his unit to a top 7 or better finish in terms of efficiency or an OC that would lead his unit to a top 1, all time great, finish? Keep in mind you've seen two other DCs with the same or very similar core of players accomplish it already.

There's not really much of a debate. The offense has been all time efficient and the defense has been good. Performance of D also not solely on the DC. We've all seen uncharacteristic tackling performances for example.

But back to your question that was lost in the last couple of replies (after you complained of non answers, lol), what do you think would be easier to replace between our OC/DC? Is it more likely we could find a DC to lead his unit to a top 7 or better finish in terms of efficiency or an OC that would lead his unit to a top 1, all time great, finish? Keep in mind you've seen two other DCs with the same or very similar core of players accomplish it already.

If ppl want to say he's this that or the other, he's irrelevant, easily replaced.. hey that's our fanbase, have at it. I for one enjoy our year, and the season we have turned in on D. So I have no challenge pulling for our D and by extension Wilks. If he's got a HC in his future, hey onward and upward, and good for him, I hope he gets it. So that's my thoughts on that,
If ppl want to say he's this that or the other, he's irrelevant, easily replaced.. hey that's our fanbase, have at it. I for one enjoy our year, and the season we have turned in on D. So I have no challenge pulling for our D and by extension Wilks. If he's got a HC in his future, hey onward and upward, and good for him, I hope he gets it. So that's my thoughts on that,

So just going to move on from the question I guess.

Wilks has done a solid job IMO. Would be interested to see how it goes next season and if/how much we can improve. Continuity is important and I think we could see growth in another year and beyond... even though our great players aren't getting younger. At the same time, I probably wouldn't be overly worried about replacing him if he were to get hired as a HC. There's no way he's going to be or should be fired (as some suggested back when we were struggling more)… unless Bill is dying to come on, lol.

So just going to move on from the question I guess.

Wilks has done a solid job IMO. Would be interested to see how it goes next season and if/how much we can improve. Continuity is important and I think we could see growth in another year and beyond... even though our great players aren't getting younger. At the same time, I probably wouldn't be overly worried about replacing him if he were to get hired as a HC. There's no way he's going to be or should be fired (as some suggested back when we were struggling more)… unless Bill is dying to come on, lol.

the question was posed to Mr Att, I wonder how broadly he would extend that type of we can do without this guy statement, who qualifies, who doesn't on our team. up to him to answer, should he choose to do so
the question was posed to Mr Att, I wonder how broadly he would extend that type of we can do without this guy statement, who qualifies, who doesn't on our team. up to him to answer, should he choose to do so

lol. Alrighty.
With 8 HC slots open, you know Wilks is going to get the call. There are not 8 great guys out there to take those 8 slots. Plus BB, Carroll, are almost sure to get another HC shot , assuming they want it. Wilks has had a solid yr after a bit of a shaky start. He finished out the season quite nicely, but JL helped a ton when he snagged Chase..

I think it highly unlikely one of the 8 HC-less teams don't look at Wilks with a fine tooth comb, and my guess would be he gets his shot at HC. Where, however, may not be all that enticing.
Share 49ersWebzone