There are 258 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Cosmo
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
With 8 HC slots open, you know Wilks is going to get the call. There are not 8 great guys out there to take those 8 slots. Plus BB, Carroll, are almost sure to get another HC shot , assuming they want it. Wilks has had a solid yr after a bit of a shaky start. He finished out the season quite nicely, but JL helped a ton when he snagged Chase..

I think it highly unlikely one of the 8 HC-less teams don't look at Wilks with a fine tooth comb, and my guess would be he gets his shot at HC. Where, however, may not be all that enticing.

I don't know how I'd feel if I were him getting all of those calls though, knowing a good amount will be just to satisfy the Rooney rule.
With 8 HC slots open, you know Wilks is going to get the call. There are not 8 great guys out there to take those 8 slots. Plus BB, Carroll, are almost sure to get another HC shot , assuming they want it. Wilks has had a solid yr after a bit of a shaky start. He finished out the season quite nicely, but JL helped a ton when he snagged Chase..

I think it highly unlikely one of the 8 HC-less teams don't look at Wilks with a fine tooth comb, and my guess would be he gets his shot at HC. Where, however, may not be all that enticing.

I think it's very likely he doesn't get a call. I only see one team that could wait for him and thats Atlanta and thats only if they can't get anyone.

Teams just don't wait until after the SB to hire guys unless they are their top choice. He won't be any teams top choice this cycle.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

I think it's very likely he doesn't get a call. I only see one team that could wait for him and thats Atlanta and thats only if they can't get anyone.

Teams just don't wait until after the SB to hire guys unless they are their top choice. He won't be any teams top choice this cycle.
there's a tracker (i think yahoo) and i saw his name as being requested for a team(s)
Bill and Pete? Why? I am not to be age discriminate but you have to talk age in the decision making process. At 71 and 72 how long do they have left? If you are trying to bring a team up it could take several years depending on who. Chargers could be the outlier.

So you start getting into the 74 to 75 age bracket when things may start clicking. I could not do it as an owner. These guys may want to come back but they don't have many years left if they do so what are you gaining?
And on top of that, sorry to Bill and Pete, but the past days only get you so far. I think the game is now different than their clad in stone ways. And if I had to pick one or else my finger gets cut off it would be Pete.
[ Edited by 9erson3 on Jan 11, 2024 at 4:23 PM ]
Originally posted by Cosmo:

I don't know how I'd feel if I were him getting all of those calls though, knowing a good amount will be just to satisfy the Rooney rule.

May have to call him Rooney Wilks. I'll bet $1 he will come out post SB stating he felt used to satisfy rule. Just get rid of it. If you are good they will come-no matter your color. Hello DeMeco.
[ Edited by 9erson3 on Jan 11, 2024 at 4:26 PM ]
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
I wouldnt mind running it back another year with Wilks.

Sometimes it just takes a season to really understand, implement and accelerate your strategy.

Both Demeco and Saleh improved in year 2.
I'd like it if these two weeks he puts a focus on making sure we tackle correctly and stop missing tackles. That'd make the game so much easier for the defense and offense. We've been pretty s**tty the past few weeks at tackling.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame

I have always thought about this but you know...so what? At least you are getting a chance to interview - maybe you blow them away and get a job.

And if you dont get it you create a scarcity brand for yourself that should parlay into more chances.

Sucks but its not all bad if you have the right mindset.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
I'd like it if these two weeks he puts a focus on making sure we tackle correctly and stop missing tackles. That'd make the game so much easier for the defense and offense. We've been pretty s**tty the past few weeks at tackling.

I have been shocked at how bad its been.
Even Fred has been whiffing on tackles.

My theory is the team was wearing down and getting burnt out.
Possibly peaked too soon.

Good news - the additional rest should bring them back up + the added intensity of the playoffs.

Arrows up!
Originally posted by Crown:

Good news - the additional rest should bring them back up + the added intensity of the playoffs.

Arrows up!

i , mean lets be honest i don't think a coach at this level with this team has to coach how to tackle. it's not something I am super worried about i think we will take the intensity up in playoffs the group is super high-energy but it will be something to watch for sure

Originally posted by ritz126:

Arrows up!

i , mean lets be honest i don't think a coach at this level with this team has to coach how to tackle. it's not something I am super worried about i think we will take the intensity up in playoffs the group is super high-energy but it will be something to watch for sure
missed tackles also could be called plays having players out of positioning. like not knowing when screens are coming
I wouldnt mind running it back another year with Wilks.

Sometimes it just takes a season to really understand, implement and accelerate your strategy.

Both Demeco and Saleh improved in year 2.

I want another year. Arrow is up with our young secondary in a way it never has been. Ambry Thomas had been so bad, I didn't even want him on the 90 man roster for camp and now he is a top 30 CB. Lenoir continues to grow. Brown has work to do but would benefit with another year under Wilks. I also think in year 2, we can get more to the attacking/aggressive pass rush. I don't think that is Wilks's style but he's never had this kind of talent.

Year 2, we should be able to really blend what we do and what he does. Plus, the next guy needs to be groomed. Looking for someone young, with new ideas so we can continue to evolve. Perhaps we pluck someone from Ryan's or Saleh's staff as our next DC.

Arrows up!

What do you mean even Fred ? Warner misses tackles sometimes, it's not a new phenomenon. He's not this sure tackler. A sure tackler was Greenlaw before this year.

If you want to (not gonna blame you if you don't), go re-watch the Falcons game they lost last year and take a shot each time Warner misses a tackle.

I have always thought about this but you know...so what? At least you are getting a chance to interview - maybe you blow them away and get a job.

And if you dont get it you create a scarcity brand for yourself that should parlay into more chances.

Totally agree. Wilks can't help what a team's true intent is. All he can do is make the most of an opportunity. I think it's gonna be virtually impossible he won't get the call with so many openings, but ideally, I'd like one more year. The one thing going for us is that a team likely will have to wait until after the Super Bowl to hire him You generally don't get that kind of patience unless you are a hot candidate. Right now, he's a good candidate that deserves another chance, but he's not a hot candidate. He's also a defensive coordinator. Another year here, he can really get that defense humming and be the kind of guy a team will wait until mid February for. Another thing, who is he going to tab to run the offense? I actually wish we could hold onto Kubiak for another year, then Klint could be the playcaller for Wilks at his next stop. The hire of an OC could be another thing that works against WIlks, because the reality is, he not only needs an OC, but he needs one in training when/if Klint Kubiak gets the HC call. I'd want him to have a guy that has a really good system and not just hiring someone because he needs an OC.

Another thing, with so many openings this year, I'm pretty certain some of these jobs will be open next year as well. I just don't see 8 quality candidates out there. Then there are the jobs where another bad year and their guy may be gone (Philly, Giants, Cowboys, Panthers: because why not? Tepper is still the owner, Jets, Jaguars). So opportunities will be there.
  • Cosmo

You're absolutely right, and that's why it exists. Tomlin may be the epitome of that, so it's fitting. What a fantastic coach he is.
Share 49ersWebzone