There are 226 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
After what the Dan Quinn led Dallas defense gave up last night, not gonna want Dan Quinn into the build.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
After what the Dan Quinn led Dallas defense gave up last night, not gonna want Dan Quinn into the build.

i never wanted DQ.

I absolutely hate having a nickel package as a base defense. Hate ti
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by 49erF90:
I trust both Shanahan and Lynch to find a really good DC for his replacement.

tbh we have hit on 3 coordinators ina row that is super rare

i am so worried our luck will run out

Kyle is too smart for that.

Just have Tariq take over for Adam Peters and Lynch can call defensive plays now.

Good read
[ Edited by lamontb on Jan 19, 2024 at 8:49 PM ]
Can someone explain why we are so soft on defense until the red zone?
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

What people see as the d line failing is schematic. Notice anytime they are close there's a dunp off to a wide open guy because it's a deep zone. His whole style is to limit big plays but that severely limits the playmaking of the D.

One name tonight = Ambry Thomas.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

What people see as the d line failing is schematic. Notice anytime they are close there's a dunp off to a wide open guy because it's a deep zone. His whole style is to limit big plays but that severely limits the playmaking of the D.

Saleh was also a bend but don't break guy. Meco had his struggles at times since he was more aggressive, but then started paying off.

I did love his cover 0 call when they were close to the redzone.

DL is too vanilla right now. CK / Wilks need to find some middle ground. Idk wtf happened to us running stunts, it seems like it's rarely a thing anymore and that's something CK has input on.
wtf is Wilks teaching Ambry... guy was hugging the receiver like 20 yards down every time...
Wilks had Thomas playing well just a few weeks ago. I hope he gives him a tune up and ready for next week.

Lenoir I thought played well and physical tonight. The D line I wasn't sure. Young and Bosa need to toss those WRs out the way like the Hulk did to Loki.
[ Edited by mitpdub on Jan 20, 2024 at 9:51 PM ]

When is the last time we saw a stunt?

or when did a blitz get home
Originally posted by _Goldblooded_:

Lots invested n the front 7 but not showing up in QB hurries and sacks or even the run game last night.
[ Edited by TD49ers on Jan 21, 2024 at 6:10 AM ]
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Saleh was also a bend but don't break guy. Meco had his struggles at times since he was more aggressive, but then started paying off.

I did love his cover 0 call when they were close to the redzone.

DL is too vanilla right now. CK / Wilks need to find some middle ground. Idk wtf happened to us running stunts, it seems like it's rarely a thing anymore and that's something CK has input on.

Demeco Ryan had better personnel on defense to work with compared to Steve Wilks. What I like about our defense is we can get turnovers at any time which is huge against these better teams like the Packers, and the remaining teams in the playoffs. Teams are going to score and move the ball, but we have to limit the damage which is what good defensive teams are suppose to do and we do that. Also Ambry Thomas had a tough game last night but the Packers have the best collection of young WRs in the NFL period. Ward had trouble against them at times, it is what it is. The defense should hold up better against the Lions or Buccaneers but if Detroit wins, they have an outstanding OC that like Shanahan can scheme guys open.

If the 49ers get to the Super Bowl, they will have trouble stopping any of the remaining AFC teams and scoring on them as well. However we cross that bridge if we get there.
Originally posted by _Goldblooded_:

This. I say this is the real culprit. You aren't going to beat a top-10 O-line by rushing straight up at them where they know where the play is going, you don't, they know exactly where you are coming from, they know exactly who to block, etc and expect to get home much. It's the reason we can generate a little pressure, but not much after that in terms of a hit or a sack. Even when our guys win their rush, it won't amount to much with this kind of approach. My biggest criticism of Wilks is that he has us rushing like this is high school or college. At that level, sure you can expect to go right at that O-line and beat them more often that not when you have this talent. But at the NFL level, this will not work. I plan to watch some more Jets, Ravens, and Browns games to see how their D-line is used.
I think CMC and the D saved us. Allowed no TDs in the first half. 4th down stop. 2 picks from Dre including a walk off int.

Feels blessed we are still playing
Share 49ersWebzone