There are 121 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Can someone explain why we are so soft on defense until the red zone?

this is false

we allow 2.7 red zone attempts [per game this is 3rd least in NFL (this includes yesterdays game)
[ Edited by ritz126 on Jan 21, 2024 at 8:27 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I think CMC and the D saved us. Allowed no TDs in the first half. 4th down stop. 2 picks from Dre including a walk off int.

Feels blessed we are still playing

You NAILED it!
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
Why wasnt Tig Brown playing? His replacement wasnt much better
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I think CMC and the D saved us. Allowed no TDs in the first half. 4th down stop. 2 picks from Dre including a walk off int.

Feels blessed we are still playing

You NAILED it!

They kinda had to saved their own a$$ with those PI calls. They were solid when it was needed!
  • Cosmo
What does this defense do best? In previous years the defense had an identity and it was easy to identify what they did best. Whether it was stopping the run, they had a long streak not allowing any rushing TDs under Fangio, rushing the passer, or forcing turnovers. What is this defense's identity and greatest strength?
Originally posted by Cosmo:
What does this defense do best? In previous years the defense had an identity and it was easy to identify what they did best. Whether it was stopping the run, they had a long streak not allowing any rushing TDs under Fangio, rushing the passer, or forcing turnovers. What is this defense's identity and greatest strength?

Elite linebacker play. Thats it

I'd say generating turnovers and front-running with two plus score lead.
Gonna have our hands full with maybe the best OL, best RB tandem, one of the best WR, one of the best TEs, and a lot of team speed. Team that rolls dice on 4th down also.

This defense is much more balance. It is no longer a strong DL covering the weakness in the defensive backs.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

I'd say generating turnovers and front-running with two plus score lead.

Definitely turnovers. Its the best we've seen in some time

• Cosmo
Originally posted by libertyforever:

This defense is much more balance. It is no longer a strong DL covering the weakness in the defensive backs.

Are you saying the defensive backs are no longer a weakness?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
With 8 HC slots open, you know Wilks is going to get the call. There are not 8 great guys out there to take those 8 slots. Plus BB, Carroll, are almost sure to get another HC shot , assuming they want it. Wilks has had a solid yr after a bit of a shaky start. He finished out the season quite nicely, but JL helped a ton when he snagged Chase..

I think it highly unlikely one of the 8 HC-less teams don't look at Wilks with a fine tooth comb, and my guess would be he gets his shot at HC. Where, however, may not be all that enticing.

I don't know how I'd feel if I were him getting all of those calls though, knowing a good amount will be just to satisfy the Rooney rule.

10 days ago when i posted this, i had completely forgotten about the Rooney rule, so this post has nothing to do with that. What i really objected to was to find out that during our 1 week (actually 2 weeks) of inactivity, was that Wilks would be allowed to go around for interviews , while we were waiting to play our first playoff game

Our D looked bad the first qtr which extended into the 2nd ,then 3rd and 4th. that doesn't mean Dre didn't take the team on his back with his two INTs, but overall, our D looked poorly coached, poor D play calls, poorer tackling, and a general sense of "dis- ease". Really, our D looked sick. We got run over in first qtr and then later our DBs couldn't cover. The big surprise tho, was when our DBs didn't now who to cover ,once for a TD , the other for a ton of yards. And don't forget the 2 pt conversion. Back 7 got in their own way giving the PACK an easy 2 pts.

My objection is simple. Our D appeared to not be ready to play , while our DC was out doing at least 2 Interviews. At the very least, if we allow a DC, or OC or other coach to interview for a higher position elsewhere, for heaven's sake DO NOT allow it while we are in the midst of waiting for our next opponent. Letting Wilks go to interview during that 2 weeks was wrong. I don't care about Rooney rule, but i do care about our DC devoting every moment until the next game working on D call strategy, working the D on pass coverage, run coverage, and so on.

I don't know if Wilks interviewing for HC elsewhere while we were awaiting our next game was the reason for our D to look so putrid…but i strongly think it a likely possibility. Not to mention what the D thot when they knew their guy wasn't working on the D against the PACK, but rather was out doing interviews for HC with another team. Frankly the poor showing our D put on probably hurt Wilks moreso than us .

Don't know what it takes for playoff teams to keep their OCs and DCs and front office guys at home with the team while getting ready for the next game, but what we got right now.. frankly it just sux, especially when you look at the coaches who have been poached by other teams. The least that we should have to do , is allow interviews, but NOT UNTIL our remaining games are done. Until that i am 4 square against letting any OC or DC or equivalent coach go for interview until after all our games are done. No way of knowing if our D players were upset about our DC out interviewing instead of working on a PACK D game plan. But i do know it sure didn't help and our D…well, TBH…looked flat…and like the DC let his guys down by not being there.

Thomas still is.

Ambry had a bad game. We will see whether he can bounced back. I do believe our DB is no longer a weakness.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame

Ambry had a bad game. We will see whether he can bounced back. I do believe our DB is no longer a weakness.

He has been pretty good all year.

He had a bad game.
Share 49ersWebzone