There are 114 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
since he is out of the playoffs can we bring demeco back for 2 games?
  • Cosmo
Originally posted by _Goldblooded_:
since he is out of the playoffs can we bring demeco back for 2 games?

If we meet Baltimore in the SB, hopefully Kyle and Steve will reach out for any advice he might have. I thought his D did great the 1st half and just ran outa gas the 2nd.
Delete
[ Edited by libertyforever on Jan 21, 2024 at 6:25 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Gonna have our hands full with maybe the best OL, best RB tandem, one of the best WR, one of the best TEs, and a lot of team speed. Team that rolls dice on 4th down also.

Definitely need to fix the run game. We finally gave up a 100 yard rusher after not allowing it for 51 games. Jones had 108 yards rushing total, but that included a 53 yard run. So things can be fixed with better tackling and coaching.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Gonna have our hands full with maybe the best OL, best RB tandem, one of the best WR, one of the best TEs, and a lot of team speed. Team that rolls dice on 4th down also.

Definitely need to fix the run game. We finally gave up a 100 yard rusher after not allowing it for 51 games. Jones had 108 yards rushing total, but that included a 53 yard run. So things can be fixed with better tackling and coaching.

I feel like this scheme is half assed and they've never fully adapted across all levels. Like out of sync etc. Wilks and Kyle better have two amazing games worth of schemes up their sleeves. We certainly have the talent.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
What does this defense do best? In previous years the defense had an identity and it was easy to identify what they did best. Whether it was stopping the run, they had a long streak not allowing any rushing TDs under Fangio, rushing the passer, or forcing turnovers. What is this defense's identity and greatest strength?

This defense is much more balance. It is no longer a strong DL covering the weakness in the defensive backs.

Agreed.
[ Edited by SFrush on Jan 21, 2024 at 8:44 PM ]
I don't think Wilks gets fired. Though one way for that to happen is if Kocurek wants out because he doesn't want to play Wilks' scheme, and Bosa sides with Kocurek.
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Can someone explain why we are so soft on defense until the red zone?

this is false

we allow 2.7 red zone attempts [per game this is 3rd least in NFL (this includes yesterdays game)

That's great but 30 other teams weren't playing in that game Saturday.

I know Saturday we had slips and slides on the grass, but I'm tired of these long drives.

The defense did enough to win for sure but imo it's a drop off in performance from previous seasons with mostly the same players.

this is false

we allow 2.7 red zone attempts [per game this is 3rd least in NFL (this includes yesterdays game)

I know Saturday we had slips and slides on the grass, but I'm tired of these long drives.

The defense did enough to win for sure but imo it's a drop off in performance from previous seasons with mostly the same players.

i think the issue is people are romanticizing last year

we are allowing the same amount of yards/play, points/game, red zone attempts/game as last year

during the whole Saleh, Ryans, and now Wilks are D was always about letting plays underneath and not allowing the big play the coaches have talked about this and they said they want to make offenses play perfectly in order to move the ball which is why they are some drives they move the ball but its also why for the past few years we led the NFL in interceptions as well
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame

this is false

we are allowing the same amount of yards/play, points/game, red zone attempts/game as last year

during the whole Saleh, Ryans, and now Wilks are D was always about letting plays underneath and not allowing the big play the coaches have talked about this and they said they want to make offenses play perfectly in order to move the ball which is why they are some drives they move the ball but its also why for the past few years we led the NFL in interceptions as well

Yup.

Turnovers are up. Thats what matters. Saved the GB game.

Most including me are reacting to the decreased sacks. I know pressure is just as important but to go all the way some sacks would really help the O with better field position.

Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

The Niners are usually ahead early and often by 10 points or more. Teams quickly abandon the running game and go to the air when they fall behind. That makes it look like the Niners run D is better than it really is. When teams keep it close or get ahead they run more. That's not usually the case so few teams run enough to have a 100 yard rusher. The Niners run defense hasn't been great all year. It just hasn't been tested a lot.
The panic meter on defense should be high. We are talking about a front line that can't even pressure the QB. We know sacking is virtually impossible. And what do we do with Ambry "PI" Thomas?
I feel like this scheme is half assed and they've never fully adapted across all levels. Like out of sync etc. Wilks and Kyle better have two amazing games worth of schemes up their sleeves. We certainly have the talent.

We don't have a rusher opposite Nick. We don't have any run stuff up front. We don't really have a safety playing Ryan in the playoffs in that role. Are we any more talented that DET? They have their own elite pass rusher, with an elite DT, with good deep LBs, and CJGJ and Branch in the secondary. Melifonwu is playing very well.

How is a team leaning on Ryan, Kinlaw and Ambry certainly having the talent? I see roster weaknesses here. No real anchor up front on the DL. We are talented, but fans all year imo overstate the talent, and that leads to unrealistic expectations. I think we are talented like DET, with much better results on D than DET.

Yeah, it's weird, because the defensive productivity is similar to previous years. In a ton of ways, improved.
I was looking at it though and was like "Well, this year, it doesn't feel like we're getting to the QB as much," and yet 2023 regular season, we have 4 more sacks this year than last year. Opposing QB's have a lower QB rating than last year too.

The only metric that I did find that 2023 is weaker than previous years is our run defense. This year, we allow 89 yards per game, 4.1 yards per carry. Last year, we allowed 77 yards per game, 3.4 yards per carry. Logically it makes sense. We have Hargraves, who is more of a pass rusher and just adequate as a run-stopper. Arik Armstead missed some time late in the season, and he's a huge component of our Run D.

When I think about it, I think the reason why we think the defense isn't as strong is because we see that teams are able to run the ball a little better this year. They field more balanced offensive attacks, and a lot of teams have implemented quick passing attacks to try and negate our pass rush. On one hand, we're seeing more methodical drives from opposing offenses, but on the other hand, we don't typically give up a lot of chunk plays.

I would argue that our defense can handle the average opposing offense, but it's a challenge when you consider our remaining opponents are the Lions, and potentially the Ravens / Chiefs.
[ Edited by Wubbie on Jan 22, 2024 at 10:12 AM ]
Pass rush last year was a no show in the playoffs. Omenihu was our sack leader with 3. I'm not lamenting on that. I'm wondering where is the improvement with the guys we have up front and how much they are being paid.
Share 49ersWebzone