There are 150 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I feel like this scheme is half assed and they've never fully adapted across all levels. Like out of sync etc. Wilks and Kyle better have two amazing games worth of schemes up their sleeves. We certainly have the talent.

We don't have a rusher opposite Nick. We don't have any run stuff up front. We don't really have a safety playing Ryan in the playoffs in that role. Are we any more talented that DET? They have their own elite pass rusher, with an elite DT, with good deep LBs, and CJGJ and Branch in the secondary. Melifonwu is playing very well.

How is a team leaning on Ryan, Kinlaw and Ambry certainly having the talent? I see roster weaknesses here. No real anchor up front on the DL. We are talented, but fans all year imo overstate the talent, and that leads to unrealistic expectations. I think we are talented like DET, with much better results on D than DET.

We need to make adjustments on defense. For some reason, that word is not found in the 49er coaching dictionary.
I feel like this scheme is half assed and they've never fully adapted across all levels. Like out of sync etc. Wilks and Kyle better have two amazing games worth of schemes up their sleeves. We certainly have the talent.

We don't have a rusher opposite Nick. We don't have any run stuff up front. We don't really have a safety playing Ryan in the playoffs in that role. Are we any more talented that DET? They have their own elite pass rusher, with an elite DT, with good deep LBs, and CJGJ and Branch in the secondary. Melifonwu is playing very well.

How is a team leaning on Ryan, Kinlaw and Ambry certainly having the talent? I see roster weaknesses here. No real anchor up front on the DL. We are talented, but fans all year imo overstate the talent, and that leads to unrealistic expectations. I think we are talented like DET, with much better results on D than DET.

Trying to downplay the talent they have on D to prop up Wilks just to be contrarian
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Jan 22, 2024 at 10:32 AM ]
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
We need to make adjustments on defense. For some reason, that word is not found in the 49er coaching dictionary.

Jordan Love looked really shaky starting in the mid 3rd quarter till the end of the game. Not sure if that has anything to do with Niners defensive adjustments.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Trying to downplay the talent they have on D to prop up Wilks just to be contrarian

Poor post, cuz you assert some sort of ill motive, rather than someone posting their point of view. I think you can run on SF. And yeah that has to do with talent, it's not a scheme issue. We have one guy up front who can play the run, who seems compromised, like usual. He's older and perhaps starting to wear down. Hargrave was a good get, but go to his thread now, and the convo is along the lines of is he a bust considering his contract. I argue no, but he's not a run stuffer by any stretch. We are kinda built to defend the pass, with a lead. And DET is built to pound the run game. Bit of a rough matchup. BAL and KC can run also. All the teams at this point can run.
Poor post, cuz you assert some sort of ill motive, rather than someone posting their point of view. I think you can run on SF. And yeah that has to do with talent, it's not a scheme issue. We have one guy up front who can play the run, who seems compromised, like usual. He's older and perhaps starting to wear down. Hargrave was a good get, but go to his thread now, and the convo is along the lines of is he a bust considering his contract. I argue no, but he's not a run stuffer by any stretch. We are kinda built to defend the pass, with a lead. And DET is built to pound the run game. Bit of a rough matchup. BAL and KC can run also. All the teams at this point can run.

Run defense up the middle was fine vs GB. Was the edge that was at issue.

All those other teams struggle at stopping the run too. Difference is they change things up to try and confuse offenses to get stops. Not just do the same thing over and over waiting for the offense to make a mistake.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Jan 22, 2024 at 10:49 AM ]

I get that you always have to find something to be contrarian about and just argue it into the ground , but this ain't it. D is not poor, but anyone looking at this D can see it is uneven and performing well below its talent level. But by all means keep shilling for Wilks
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Jan 22, 2024 at 10:49 AM ]

I get that you always have to find something to be contrarian about and just argue it into the ground , but this ain't it. D is not poor, but anyone looking at this D can see it is uneven and underperforming well below its talent level. But by all means keep shilling for Wilks

No one is saying the D is poor, but all year we've heard the D is perhaps the most talented in football, or the most talented historically for SF since maybe decades. Look at BALs talent, or KC, or DET even. DET hasn't gotten results on the season stats, but I see a lot of talent. We started a dude off the street in the playoff game. We added Ryan mid year and started him. I think our D is certainly talented, I would push back on we have way more talent than all over clubs, not so. Ppl view Chase Young as a major talent or force, he isn't. He was maybe years ago. I like how the 'contrarian' pov is our DC, who is getting interviews on the HC cycle, is a good man / coach.

I get that you always have to find something to be contrarian about and just argue it into the ground , but this ain't it. D is not poor, but anyone looking at this D can see it is uneven and underperforming well below its talent level. But by all means keep shilling for Wilks

No one is saying the D is poor, but all year we've heard the D is perhaps the most talented in football, or the most talented historically for SF since maybe decades. Look at BALs talent, or KC, or DET even. DET hasn't gotten results on the season stats, but I see a lot of talent. We started a dude off the street in the playoff game. We added Ryan mid year and started him. I think our D is certainly talented, I would push back on we have way more talent than all over clubs, not so. Ppl view Chase Young as a major talent or force, he isn't. He was maybe years ago. I like how the 'contrarian' pov is our DC, who is getting interviews on the HC cycle, is a good man / coach.

You are right, only the good and best coaches ever get interviews and HC opportunities. Rock solid argument there
You are right, only the good and best coaches ever get interviews and HC opportunities. Rock solid argument there

go to the other threads, in the gameday thread they are worried about Ambry, in the Hargrave thread they are questioning his worth. We are debating starting Ryan at slot in another discussion. So add these takes with our D is too talented to have any issues and you get a will not compute. Fans are rightly seeing some guys on D who are perhaps not that great or in the case of Hargrave, one dimensional.
^ lol keep going man

Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:

Jordan Love looked really shaky starting in the mid 3rd quarter till the end of the game. Not sure if that has anything to do with Niners defensive adjustments.

I think we made some good adjustments. Looking back, I think there were a handful of huge isolated mistakes though -- at least twice we missed tackles on what should've been a limited gain, or even lost yardage. And then I think two other times we bailed out GB with a horrific penalty, allowing them another chunk gain on a 3rd down.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 22, 2024 at 12:24 PM ]
go to the other threads, in the gameday thread they are worried about Ambry, in the Hargrave thread they are questioning his worth. We are debating starting Ryan at slot in another discussion. So add these takes with our D is too talented to have any issues and you get a will not compute. Fans are rightly seeing some guys on D who are perhaps not that great or in the case of Hargrave, one dimensional.

You mean like Detroit fans are questioning their mediocre corners? Or their poor coverage linebackers? Or their lack of a 2nd rusher opposite Hutch?
There is no arguing our Dline underperforms based on what they are paid.

Is it the players or is it Wilks?

Too late this season to fix it, but in the off season something serious must be done.
Originally posted by HONEYBADGER:
There is no arguing our Dline underperforms based on what they are paid.

Is it the players or is it Wilks?

Too late this season to fix it, but in the off season something serious must be done.

It's Wilks.
Originally posted by libertyforever:

He really started to look shaky when their right tackle went out and Bosa just dominated his backup from that point on. That's my biggest issue with Wilks, there's little creativity up front, if the DL don't simply win playing 1 on 1 then the DL just don't win, Wilks isn't providing any kind of boost from a playcalling standpoint the way Ryans did.
Share 49ersWebzone