There are 280 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Good convo. This type of blanket, it feels like we have more talent statement, I push back on. Coming into the year, I was hopeful Drake would make, the leap. And AA would be back to normal. And so it would be Drake, AA, Hargrave and Bosa. With Drake wayyy new and improved. That was the expectation. Not a crazy expectation, AA is great when healthy, and Drake was our top pick. We were just hoping for a year 2 jump.

It did not happen. AA is dealing with real issues, and missed a lot of the stretch run. Drake is a complete non factor. We imported Gregory and Young who are kinda meh. So a lot of the huge expectations didn't materialize, particularly with the dream DL. I stopped thinking of that as reality or the expectation maybe half a season ago, when it was clear AA was injured and Drake was not making any leap. I also didn't put much stock in Gregory or Young there were red flags on both. Probably a better get tbh would have been interior run stuffer, which maybe they got late in SJD.

All those things are fair. Only immediate thing I'd say in response relates to AA being out. Our run defense struggles, which most people are blaming on AA's absence, actually statistically improved when he was gone.

That's not to say we aren't struggling because of personnel in general.

I'm going to post some numbers when I get some time. Just honestly would like to focus on something other than points and yards which are misleading people into thinking the D is better than it actually is.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Good convo. This type of blanket, it feels like we have more talent statement, I push back on. Coming into the year, I was hopeful Drake would make, the leap. And AA would be back to normal. And so it would be Drake, AA, Hargrave and Bosa. With Drake wayyy new and improved. That was the expectation. Not a crazy expectation, AA is great when healthy, and Drake was our top pick. We were just hoping for a year 2 jump.

It did not happen. AA is dealing with real issues, and missed a lot of the stretch run. Drake is a complete non factor. We imported Gregory and Young who are kinda meh. So a lot of the huge expectations didn't materialize, particularly with the dream DL. I stopped thinking of that as reality or the expectation maybe half a season ago, when it was clear AA was injured and Drake was not making any leap. I also didn't put much stock in Gregory or Young there were red flags on both. Probably a better get tbh would have been interior run stuffer, which maybe they got late in SJD.

All those things are fair. Only immediate thing I'd say in response relates to AA being out. Our run defense struggles, which most people are blaming on AA's absence, actually statistically improved when he was gone.

That's not to say we aren't struggling because of personnel in general.

I'm going to post some numbers when I get some time. Just honestly would like to focus on something other than points and yards which are misleading people into thinking the D is better than it actually is.

Armstead sad to say, may just be toast. This is a big man, and he started stacking a lot of lower body injuries last season. Take your time and look forward to it.
Armstead sad to say, may just be toast. This is a big man, and he started stacking a lot of lower body injuries last season. Take your time and look forward to it.

He definitely didn't look 100 percent on Saturday... and to be fair, the defense was slipping on many plays as well, so I think conditions very likely contributed to GB holding the ball as well.
What is Wilks resume as a defensive play caller (DC)? Here:

In 2017, He took over for one season, a Sean McDermott built defense after he went to Buffalo, then left to become HC of Cardinals.

In 2019, he became DC for Freddie Bathrooms (I mean Kitchens) for one season - and we know how that turned out.

In 2021, Wilks was hired by the University of Missouri as their defensive coordinator: Here is what happened there:

Before Wilks' NFL stint, he'd previously coached defensive backs at Notre Dame and Washington (No defensive coordinator experience)

In his lone season in charge of the defense, the Tigers struggled greatly in Wilks' 4-2-5 defensive system, particularly against the run. Of Missouri's 13 opponents, seven of them rushed for over 200 yards. In-state opponent Southeast Missouri State even racked up 294 yards on the ground.

In an October game at home against Tennessee, the Tigers' defense hit rock bottom. The defense yielded nearly 700 yards of total offense (458 rushing yards) in a 62-24 blowout loss. They ended the week ranked dead last in the FBS in total rushing yards allowed per game (283.9) and second to last in average yard per carry (6.3).

Despite calls by many for the in-season firing of Wilks, he was retained. After the firing of defensive line coach Jethro Franklin and a few lineup changes, the defense began showing incremental progress down with stretch against South Carolina and Florida.

Despite positive progress, the Mizzou run defense concluded the season ranked 124th out of 130 FBS schools. The 227.8 rushing yards allowed per game was the second most allowed by a Missouri defense in the last 25 years, second only to 2016, Barry Odom's first season as head coach.

On February 9, 2022, the Panthers announced the hiring of Wilks as Matt Rhule's new defensive pass game coordinator and secondary coach. On October 10, 2022, after Rhule was fired, Wilks was named the Panthers' interim head coach for the remainder of the season.

---------------------------------------------------

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Steve Wilks never did well as a defensive coordinator - with short stints that he had in that role.
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:

In 2017, He took over for one season, a Sean McDermott built defense after he went to Buffalo, then left to become HC of Cardinals.

In 2019, he became DC for Freddie Bathrooms (I mean Kitchens) for one season - and we know how that turned out.

In 2021, Wilks was hired by the University of Missouri as their defensive coordinator: Here is what happened there:

Before Wilks' NFL stint, he'd previously coached defensive backs at Notre Dame and Washington (No defensive coordinator experience)

In his lone season in charge of the defense, the Tigers struggled greatly in Wilks' 4-2-5 defensive system, particularly against the run. Of Missouri's 13 opponents, seven of them rushed for over 200 yards. In-state opponent Southeast Missouri State even racked up 294 yards on the ground.

In an October game at home against Tennessee, the Tigers' defense hit rock bottom. The defense yielded nearly 700 yards of total offense (458 rushing yards) in a 62-24 blowout loss. They ended the week ranked dead last in the FBS in total rushing yards allowed per game (283.9) and second to last in average yard per carry (6.3).

Despite calls by many for the in-season firing of Wilks, he was retained. After the firing of defensive line coach Jethro Franklin and a few lineup changes, the defense began showing incremental progress down with stretch against South Carolina and Florida.

Despite positive progress, the Mizzou run defense concluded the season ranked 124th out of 130 FBS schools. The 227.8 rushing yards allowed per game was the second most allowed by a Missouri defense in the last 25 years, second only to 2016, Barry Odom's first season as head coach.

On February 9, 2022, the Panthers announced the hiring of Wilks as Matt Rhule's new defensive pass game coordinator and secondary coach. On October 10, 2022, after Rhule was fired, Wilks was named the Panthers' interim head coach for the remainder of the season.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Steve Wilks never did well as a defensive coordinator - with short stints that he had in that role.

Just to add on real quick:

We are tied for 15th with four other teams in opponent rush yards per attempt and 26th(!) in EPA/play.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Jordan Love looked really shaky starting in the mid 3rd quarter till the end of the game. Not sure if that has anything to do with Niners defensive adjustments.

He really started to look shaky when their right tackle went out and Bosa just dominated his backup from that point on. That's my biggest issue with Wilks, there's little creativity up front, if the DL don't simply win playing 1 on 1 then the DL just don't win, Wilks isn't providing any kind of boost from a playcalling standpoint the way Ryans did.

We need to do some stunts.

Not even a ton of them, but just a few would probably allow the 1 on 1s to win more often. By being too predictable, it makes it easier to pass protect our guys....IMO.

What the Ravens do is the exact opposite.........an all out assault physically and mentally on opposing OLs....not saying we have to copy/replicate that, but we're way too far on the other end to be complacent like we are.

He did well as interim head man in Carolina. I can't speak to Mizzou football. Why do you think Kyle and John hired him if he's a forever failed DC?

He did well as interim head man in Carolina. I can't speak to Mizzou football. Why do you think Kyle and John hired him if he's a forever failed DC?

Being a head man doesn't necessarily translate to DC Xs and Os guy and vice versa. I think they jumped in hiring him and did not do their due diligence.
Being a head man doesn't necessarily translate to DC Xs and Os guy and vice versa. I think they jumped in hiring him and did not do their due diligence.

i dont know our secondary is a lot better than last year despite the same pieces minus an all pro S

Also i think people need to stop acting like we are a bottom D we have still only allowed more than 24 points 3 times this year and one of them was in a blowout win to the cardinals where they scored with less than a minute left in 4th Q and the other was when Brock threw 4 interceptions

i mean thats pretty good in my book
[ Edited by TheRickestRick on Jan 22, 2024 at 4:10 PM ]

Originally posted by ritz126:

i dont know our secondary is a lot better than last year despite the same pieces minus an all pro S

Also i think people need to stop acting like we are a bottom D we have still only allowed more than 24 points 3 times this year and one of them was in a blowout win to the cardinals where they scored with less than a minute left in 4th Q and the other was when Brock threw 4 interceptions

i mean thats pretty good in my book

I concur

This is the problem with your logic. You think because he did well as an interim HC that somehow it is going to translate . They're a ton of mediocre coordinators and coaches year in year out who get opportunities and repeat opportunities . I was fired up when he was hired based on his work as an interim HC, but can also see that he's got major flaws as a DC.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

This is the problem with your logic. You think because he did well as an interim HC that somehow it is going to translate . They're a ton of mediocre coordinators and coaches year in year out who get opportunities and repeat opportunities . I was fired up when he was hired based on his work as an interim HC, but can also see that he's got major flaws as a DC.

Such as?

In my view, we just held a red hot team with a QB maybe on the biggest heater in the NFL to 6 points in the first half. And 2 picks in the 2nd. Brock had a hard time gripping laces and we won anyway. ST didn't really do us any favors either, as we whiffed a FG and gave up a monster return. Without CMC and the D we aren't even playing meaningful football anymore, most likely..
Such as?

In my view, we just held a red hot team with a QB maybe on the biggest heater in the NFL to 6 points in the first half. And 2 picks in the 2nd. Brock had a hard time gripping laces and we won anyway. ST didn't really do us any favors either, as we whiffed a FG and gave up a monster return. Without CMC and the D we aren't even playing meaningful football anymore, most likely..

They also successfully played keep away from a top 10 offense all time in some measures of efficiency. That's a win, points or not. That's how you can manufacture a closer game against a better offense and obviously the rain also hurt our O.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Such as?

They also successfully played keep away from a top 10 offense all time in some measures of efficiency. That's a win, points or not. That's how you can manufacture a closer game against a better offense and obviously the rain also hurt our O.

Green Bay is legit. They took DAL apart. DAL has some pretty darn good D players, and a guy who is considered among the top DCs in the sport.
Share 49ersWebzone