There are 310 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
I think most of my hatred at this dude is misguided and caused by bosa and hargrave just being absolutely disappointing. Gregory and young are both washed and garbage too.

Hes made real strides in the secondary with ambry being the only "weakness." I actually think Thomas is an average NFL corner just being schemed hard against. I don't actually think he's bad.

Maybe my entire view was skewed towards bosa being the best defensive player in the NFL when he's just a good defensive end and hargrave being able to produce like on the eagles...

I initially thought wilks had top shelf ingredients to work with but now I'm leaning towards maybe he's elevating some average grocery store stuff and making exceptional stuff out of it.

Maybe he's actually good and our players are just meh...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
I think most of my hatred at this dude is misguided and caused by bosa and hargrave just being absolutely disappointing. Gregory and young are both washed and garbage too.

Hes made real strides in the secondary with ambry being the only "weakness." I actually think Thomas is an average NFL corner just being schemed hard against. I don't actually think he's bad.

Maybe my entire view was skewed towards bosa being the best defensive player in the NFL when he's just a good defensive end and hargrave being able to produce like on the eagles...

I initially thought wilks had top shelf ingredients to work with but now I'm leaning towards maybe he's elevating some average grocery store stuff and making exceptional stuff out of it.

Wilks has more talent than Ryans had last season and Ryans had this defense putting fear into head coaches. It says a lot when the DC had to learn their ways from last season. I applaud Wilks for it and at the same time I just don't think he's what this team needs.

remember Bosa's blueprint comment. We weren't attacking J Hurts. We were just pushing the pocket back. Looks like Wilks like to use that blueprint with all teams

we need creative blitzes to help our DL or they will just wear down by pushing 300+ OL all game
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Wilks has more talent than Ryans had last season and Ryans had this defense putting fear into head coaches. It says a lot when the DC had to learn their ways from last season. I applaud Wilks for it and at the same time I just don't think he's what this team needs.

Maybe in name. But in actual ability? I think it's hard to say that, especially when it comes to the DL.

I've never heard of someone being washed at 24 years old.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame

Idk, maybe.

I will say the first PI by Ambry was actually a good thing.
Had he not GB may have scored 6 on that play.
Instead they held them to 3.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

remember Bosa's blueprint comment. We weren't attacking J Hurts. We were just pushing the pocket back. Looks like Wilks like to use that blueprint with all teams

we need creative blitzes to help our DL or they will just wear down by pushing 300+ OL all game

The thing is we are just so Vanilla as as pass rushing defense. We cant disguise the blitz so teams know well in advance when it is coming and from where. So we rarely do it. All offenses do now is line up a TE on Bosas side, chip him while we rush 4 all game long. It is so much easier for an offensive line to win their battles when they know exactly who they should be blocking and from where on every play. I cant remember a single time this season where I thought to myself, Wow we really confused them with that pass rush. Yes the defensive line players deserve blame for not winning there match-ups but the defensive coaches are also responsible if you just keep doing the same stuff every play, all year long when it is not working.
[ Edited by Bloodless on Jan 22, 2024 at 9:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Bloodless:

The thing is we are just so Vanilla as as pass rushing defense. We cant disguise the blitz so teams know well in advance when it is coming and from where. So we rarely do it. All offenses do now if line up a TE on Bosas side, chip him while we rush 4 all game long. It is so much easier for an offensive line to win their battles when they know exactly who they should be blocking and from where on every play. I cant remember a single time this season where I thought to myself, Wow we really confused them with that pass rush. Yes the defensive line players deserve blame for not winning there match-ups but the defensive coaches are also responsible if you just keep doing the same stuff every play, all year long when it is not working.

ALL GOOD... We'll WIN w/the Wilks this year.. then we can bring either Ulbrich - Vrabel or Zimmer !!
If you really think about it, GB didn't really do much. We killed ourselves with the cleat slips and Pi's that extended drives resulting in points.
  • Cosmo
Philly may be the b st example of how great the impact a coordinator can have on a team. After losing both of their coordinators they hired unqualified wannabes to replace them and went into the s**tter. Seeing the drop off in production from this defense, despite all of the talent added only leads to one person.

Originally posted by Bloodless:

The thing is we are just so Vanilla as as pass rushing defense. We cant disguise the blitz so teams know well in advance when it is coming and from where. So we rarely do it. All offenses do now is line up a TE on Bosas side, chip him while we rush 4 all game long. It is so much easier for an offensive line to win their battles when they know exactly who they should be blocking and from where on every play. I cant remember a single time this season where I thought to myself, Wow we really confused them with that pass rush. Yes the defensive line players deserve blame for not winning there match-ups but the defensive coaches are also responsible if you just keep doing the same stuff every play, all year long when it is not working.

This is spot on. I agree with everything you said. I'm not a fan of over blitzing because a good QB can pick you apart. However you need to do it occasionally when your base isn't getting the pressure. When you do it needs to be disguised properly or all you're doing is taking a defender out of pass protection. I see other teams blitz and create havoc. The Niners rarely do. They continue to think their front 7 is so talented that they can just lne up and bull their way in. It's not that easy.
Originally posted by Cosmo:
Philly may be the b st example of how great the impact a coordinator can have on a team. After losing both of their coordinators they hired unqualified wannabes to replace them and went into the s**tter. Seeing the drop off in production from this defense, despite all of the talent added only leads to one person.

dude we have more sacks than last year and the same amount of takeaways. On top of that yards/play is the same (better against pass worse against run but averages out) as well as points/game

In fact we have allowed LESS offensive TDs than last year

Can we stop acting like this defense fell of a cliff? Its just insulting and flat out misinformation
Originally posted by ritz126:

dude we have more sacks than last year and the same amount of takeaways. On top of that yards/play is the same (better against pass worse against run but averages out) as well as points/game

Can we stop acting like this defense fell of a cliff? Its just insulting and flat out misinformation

If we have more sacks than last year, then I must be watching different games...I seeing highest paid Bosa, a Hargave, a Randy Gregory, a Chase, etc get manhandled on the line and looking slow as if the they are trying to get to the QB through quicksand.
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
If we have more sacks than last year, then I must be watching different games...I seeing highest paid Bosa, a Hargave, a Randy Gregory, a Chase, etc get manhandled on the line and looking slow as if the they are trying to get to the QB through quicksand.

What you are seeing is them get pressure but the ball come out because there is an available outlet wide open in the soft zone. Love could've been sacked 4 times or so if not for the soft zone coverage.

It looks different than past years because it's softer to keep from giving up the big play. It's why big plays are down. But it's also why they are forcing fewer punts.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Jan 23, 2024 at 8:53 AM ]
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
Originally posted by ritz126:

Unfortunately 10 of those sacks are from players that are injured or inactive. Only one player with double digits (Bosa at 10.5) How many of the sacks were coverage sacks? I don't know but it seems like many of them came when the QB had to hold the ball a long time. Not many where the pass rush just overwhelmed the O line. I'm not saying th D is bad because they aren't I just expected a lot more once they added Hargrave, Ferrel, Gregory and Young. These are all guys meant to help the rush.
Share 49ersWebzone