There are 802 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Unfortunately 10 of those sacks are from players that are injured or inactive. Only one player with double digits (Bosa at 10.5) How many of the sacks were coverage sacks? I don't know but it seems like many of them came when the QB had to hold the ball a long time. Not many where the pass rush just overwhelmed the O line. I'm not saying th D is bad because they aren't I just expected a lot more once they added Hargrave, Ferrel, Gregory and Young. These are all guys meant to help the rush.

Hargrave is living up to billing. You are typically gonna overpay on big day 1 FA signings. So while he's expensive, he delivered 7 sacks and a PB season. From interior DL that's a good season. Gregory and Young are admissions that we have an issue, and Drake didn't make the leap we probably hoped for. Drake had a hat trick week 1, and that's about it folks. Ferrell has been solid imo, he's no star player, depth ideally. Gregory and Young are meh. So you have 2 real pass rush threats. That's not terribly hard to account for, it's a lot of double on Bosa.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Unfortunately 10 of those sacks are from players that are injured or inactive. Only one player with double digits (Bosa at 10.5) How many of the sacks were coverage sacks? I don't know but it seems like many of them came when the QB had to hold the ball a long time. Not many where the pass rush just overwhelmed the O line. I'm not saying th D is bad because they aren't I just expected a lot more once they added Hargrave, Ferrel, Gregory and Young. These are all guys meant to help the rush.

Hargrave is living up to billing. You are typically gonna overpay on big day 1 FA signings. So while he's expensive, he delivered 7 sacks and a PB season. From interior DL that's a good season. Gregory and Young are admissions that we have an issue, and Drake didn't make the leap we probably hoped for. Drake had a hat trick week 1, and that's about it folks. Ferrell has been solid imo, he's no star player, depth ideally. Gregory and Young are meh. So you have 2 real pass rush threats. That's not terribly hard to account for, it's a lot of double on Bosa.

I just heard that the Niners are 29th in blitzing which might explain why we aren't getting even more sacks. Maybe Wilks doesn't blitz because he's not good at disguising them. When we blitz we aren't getting to the QB very often. We have 5 sacks combined from our secondary and the 3 LBs , Warner (2.5), Greenlaw (1.5) and Burks (1). That's not great results from the blitzes. I know that I see a lot of teams that bring disguised blitzes and create havoc.

I just heard that the Niners are 29th in blitzing which might explain why we aren't getting even more sacks. Maybe Wilks doesn't blitz because he's not good at disguising them. When we blitz we aren't getting to the QB very often. We have 5 sacks combined from our secondary and the 3 LBs , Warner (2.5), Greenlaw (1.5) and Burks (1). That's not great results from the blitzes. I know that I see a lot of teams that bring disguised blitzes and create havoc.

I predicted going into the year, we wouldn't blitz much, and that has been the case. Blitz is often a resort of not having guys up front who can get home. Wilks was blitzing in the past, but that's probably cuz he didn't have Bosa and Hargrave types. So you have to manufacture ways to do it. I think for teams like us it's more a curveball or changeup, to be a lil unpredictable, but it's not something we do regularly.
  • jed_X
  • Veteran
I wanna see that pass rush we had that 1st 3 games off the bye week again. Dline were ferocious that stretch.
Hope Steve Wilks continues to develop and excel as DC for the 49ers' next season so that some team will be enticed to make him their head coach.
I think the pass rush is dependent on the QB they are playing against. It seems they rush more conservative with a mobile QB, trying to contain the gaps and eliminate the lanes to escape. I expect a better rush against Goff.
It does make me wonder why invest so much $ in pass rushers if they are told to protect those escape lanes. I could be war off with this thought.

I predicted going into the year, we wouldn't blitz much, and that has been the case. Blitz is often a resort of not having guys up front who can get home. Wilks was blitzing in the past, but that's probably cuz he didn't have Bosa and Hargrave types. So you have to manufacture ways to do it. I think for teams like us it's more a curveball or changeup, to be a lil unpredictable, but it's not something we do regularly.

We can probably pinpoint when Wilks stopped blitzing.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Ouch

It's not just about blitzing more. It's about getting creative with the blitzes. If they aren't disguised then the offense picks them up and the QB usually has a guy left uncovered. That can result in big gains. Using them at the right time and not tipping your hand is what they need to do.

It's not just about blitzing more. It's about getting creative with the blitzes. If they aren't disguised then the offense picks them up and the QB usually has a guy left uncovered. That can result in big gains. Using them at the right time and not tipping your hand is what they need to do.

DET had one last week watch out for Melifonwu

Originally posted by tommyncal:
I think the pass rush is dependent on the QB they are playing against. It seems they rush more conservative with a mobile QB, trying to contain the gaps and eliminate the lanes to escape. I expect a better rush against Goff.
It does make me wonder why invest so much $ in pass rushers if they are told to protect those escape lanes. I could be war off with this thought.

Good post!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Good post!

One thought here. I think the niners need a more pure speed rusher to complement Bosa on the outside. It would put a variable pressure on the olines and also those speed rusher types tend to be able to pursue a mobile QB
i used to hope that was the case, but it doesn't matter, we still bull rush the pocket. Wilks probably calls the same damn play since he can't see from the booth
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jan 23, 2024 at 8:18 PM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
i used to hope that was the case, but it doesn't matter, we still bull rush the pocket. Wilks probably calls the same damn play since he can't see from the booth

You do know he moved down to the sideline quite awhile ago
[ Edited by tommyncal on Jan 24, 2024 at 12:34 PM ]
Mix it up man. Stop playing man all the time in the red zone. Hire Lord Fangio as an advisor asap.
Share 49ersWebzone