There are 798 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by tommyncal:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I think the pass rush is dependent on the QB they are playing against. It seems they rush more conservative with a mobile QB, trying to contain the gaps and eliminate the lanes to escape. I expect a better rush against Goff.
It does make me wonder why invest so much $ in pass rushers if they are told to protect those escape lanes. I could be war off with this thought.
i used to hope that was the case, but it doesn't matter, we still bull rush the pocket. Wilks probably calls the same damn play since he can't see from the booth

You do know he moved down to the sideline quite awhile ago
and thats why i said he can't see, like he can't see the field from above
I think the pass rush is dependent on the QB they are playing against. It seems they rush more conservative with a mobile QB, trying to contain the gaps and eliminate the lanes to escape. I expect a better rush against Goff.
It does make me wonder why invest so much $ in pass rushers if they are told to protect those escape lanes. I could be war off with this thought.
i used to hope that was the case, but it doesn't matter, we still bull rush the pocket. Wilks probably calls the same damn play since he can't see from the booth

do we dare go back to Wilks Booth
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

maybe or we stay with his on the field play sheet

[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jan 24, 2024 at 1:45 PM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Unfortunately 10 of those sacks are from players that are injured or inactive. Only one player with double digits (Bosa at 10.5) How many of the sacks were coverage sacks? I don't know but it seems like many of them came when the QB had to hold the ball a long time. Not many where the pass rush just overwhelmed the O line. I'm not saying th D is bad because they aren't I just expected a lot more once they added Hargrave, Ferrel, Gregory and Young. These are all guys meant to help the rush.

Hargrave is living up to billing. You are typically gonna overpay on big day 1 FA signings. So while he's expensive, he delivered 7 sacks and a PB season. From interior DL that's a good season. Gregory and Young are admissions that we have an issue, and Drake didn't make the leap we probably hoped for. Drake had a hat trick week 1, and that's about it folks. Ferrell has been solid imo, he's no star player, depth ideally. Gregory and Young are meh. So you have 2 real pass rush threats. That's not terribly hard to account for, it's a lot of double on Bosa.

I just heard that the Niners are 29th in blitzing which might explain why we aren't getting even more sacks. Maybe Wilks doesn't blitz because he's not good at disguising them. When we blitz we aren't getting to the QB very often. We have 5 sacks combined from our secondary and the 3 LBs , Warner (2.5), Greenlaw (1.5) and Burks (1). That's not great results from the blitzes. I know that I see a lot of teams that bring disguised blitzes and create havoc.

I think KS told him not to blitz so much. Seems like they didn't even try to blitz GB much if at all.
Kalia Davis practice window just opened.

maybe or we stay with his on the field play sheet

PASS 1 was definitely the old BILL WALSH Bread n Butter Roger Craig Swing Pass play..
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
What is the game plan WIlks?

Goff can be had for sacks.
Originally posted by Crown:

I think Nick Bosa already answered that and about Detriot great OL.
Originally posted by Hawaii49er:
Mix it up man. Stop playing man all the time in the red zone. Hire Lord Fangio as an advisor asap.

Hired by the Eagles and thank goodness for that. Certainly don't need a DC that has struggled lately to try and advise e a DC that has been better.
[ Edited by Ark49er on Jan 25, 2024 at 8:48 AM ]
Originally posted by Ark49er:
Hired by the Eagles and thank goodness for that. Certainly don't need a DC that has struggled lately to try and advise e a DC that has been better.

What's the basis for saying that Wilks has been better than Fangio?

wilks has me worried with his slow starts but he always seems to make adjustments at the right time to save the day
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ark49er:
Originally posted by Crown:

I think Nick Bosa already answered that and about Detriot great OL.

we shall see.

Haha, I see ya.
Not sure if posted, but a lot of fans wanted Vic Fangio, well he's out as DC for the Dolphins, I think we're fine with Wilks.
The amount of disrespect I see the defense is getting, I hope they come out fired up and almost shut out this Detoilet team.
Share 49ersWebzone